Director for Social Media - University Communications and Marketing
- Carnegie Mellon University
- Pennsylvania, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Jan 30, 2023
- Position Type
- Faculty Positions, Business & Management, Marketing & Sales, Communications, Other Communications, Professional Fields, Social Work & Human Services, Administrative, Business & Administrative Affairs, Public Relations & Marketing (Campus), Editing & Publications Management
- Employment Type
- Full Time
University Communications and Marketing at Carnegie Mellon University is searching for a Director for Social Media, with demonstrated expertise in social media, experience in leading social media strategy, and collaborating with a variety of stakeholders. The division of University Communications and Marketing enhances the institution’s global reputation and inspires audiences to choose Carnegie Mellon University. They cultivate the CMU brand and tell the university’s stories with a rich and authentic voice.
The director of social media leads Carnegie Mellon’s central social strategy and tactics and collaborates actively across campus to provide expertise and coordination that benefits the entire university. The director sets the social strategy as it ties into University Communications and Marketing (UCM) storytelling, messaging and goals in service of University objectives. This position will execute the tactics that align to the university’s strategic plan, build CMU’s brand and position the university as a leader in target spaces.
On a daily basis, this role drives the ongoing messaging, content production and engagement for CMU’s central social media channels (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, YouTube, etc.). This position manages the social media team, which is part of a larger group of communicators that manage the university’s communications and marketing program, including the main CMU website, public and media relations, research communications, internal communications, and issues management.
This role also collaborates closely with marketing colleagues to evaluate and lift earned and owned content as part of an integrated communications and marketing strategy.
The director meets frequently with colleagues both within UCM and across the university to develop social media campaigns that align with the priorities of these offices and advance the collective mission of the university. Collaborating and creating strong relationships based on adding value (expertise, training, coordination, tools, etc.) is vital to the success of this role.
- Plan, develop and execute social media campaigns
- Write, edit, and commission articles
- Conceive, arrange, and produce video, photo and other multimedia projects featuring faculty and students/addressing institutional news
- Provide leadership and guidance to social media professionals across the university
- Oversee the monitoring and reporting of Carnegie Mellon mentions on social media and in the news
- Engage with followers according to established protocols; discern which follower posts should be brought to the attention of senior university leadership
- Coordinate with colleagues maintaining social media channels of executive leadership, developing strategies and best practices to enhance communication outreach for leadership
- Develop meaningful metrics, conduct ongoing measurement and analyze social media performance to ensure the team is highly effective – including through close collaboration with marketing colleagues
- Ensure Carnegie Mellon’s social media efforts are in line with peer standards and industry best practices, with the expectation of becoming a national leader in social media
Additional responsibilities include acting as the 24/7 social media communications lead in crisis and emergency situations. This includes communicating with senior leadership to craft messaging for urgent matters, as well as sensitive university issues or announcements, and ensuring timely monitoring and reporting of related engagement.
- Clear understanding of social media as a component of a larger communications and marketing infrastructure and strategy
- In-depth understanding and application of social media best practices in planning and execution
- Ability to assess needs and develop long-term plans and strategies
- Strong research, interpersonal, organizational, reasoning, problem-solving and analytical skills
- Excellent project management skills
- Ability to interact effectively with university community and external customers
- Ability to maintain accurate and detailed records
- Experience building and communicating effective social media plans
Flexibility, excellence, and passion are vital qualities within the division of University Communications and Marketing. Inclusion, collaboration and cultural sensitivity are valued competencies at CMU. Therefore, we are in search of a team member who is able to effectively interact with a varied population of internal and external partners at a high level of integrity. We are looking for someone who shares our values and who will support the mission of the university through their work.
- Bachelor’s degree
- At least eight years of relevant communications experience, with at least 5 years’ experience in social media, or combination of education and relevant experience
- Prior experience creating and communicating social media strategies and plans
- Must be a strong writer and editor with impeccable attention to detail
- Supervisory experience
- Experience overseeing large, decentralized social media structure
- Experience using a Content Management System (CMS)
- Knowledge of web information architecture and SEO (search engine optimization) strategies
- Successful background check
Are you interested in this exciting opportunity? Apply today!
CMU’s COVID-19 Vaccination Requirements: As a condition of employment, Carnegie Mellon University requires all staff and faculty working in the United States to be fully vaccinated, including a booster when eligible, against COVID-19. Prior to commencement of employment, new hires in the United States must provide proof of vaccination or obtain an approved exemption. (Exemptions may be requested for medical reasons or for religious or strong moral or ethical conviction.) Staff and faculty must comply with all applicable COVID-19 mitigation requirements. Please see Minimum Requirements to Return to Campus for details regarding the university’s current COVID-19 mitigation requirements.
Staff – Regular
Full Time/Part time
- Please visit “ Why Carnegie Mellon ” to learn more about becoming part of an institution inspiring innovations that change the world.
- Click here to view a listing of employee benefits
- Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran .
- Statement of Assurance
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert