Assistant Professor, Geography
- Riverside Community College District
- California, United States
- Salary Not specified
- Posted Date
- Jan 27, 2023
- Position Type
- Faculty Positions, Social & Behavioral Sciences, Geography
- Employment Level
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Interested candidates must apply by the deadline listed below by 8:00 p.m., Pacific Standard Time. 02/27/2023
Position Title: Assistant Professor, Geography (Riverside City College)
Department: Econ/Geog/Pol Sci (R)
Position Type: Full-Time Faculty/Counselor/Librarian
Physical location of the position: Riverside
Tenure Track (Faculty)
Position Length: 10-month
Salary Range: Column C, Step 1 to Column H, Step 6
Salary Amount: $77,868 to $119,975
Salary Type: Annual
Is this position categorically (grant) funded? No
Riverside City College is seeking an Assistant Professor, Geography with a primary responsibility for lecture and laboratory instruction in introductory Geography courses typically taught at the community college level.
The ideal candidate will share the commitment of RCC and the department of Economics, Geography and Political Science to educating its racially, ethnically, and socioeconomically diverse student population. We currently enroll over 30,000 students, the majority of whom are from racially minoritized populations. Hispanic/Latinx students comprise 60% of RCC's student population, 8% are African-American, 7% are Asian American, 0.3% are Native American, 0.7% are Pacific Islander, 21% are White, 2% are multiracial. Riverside City College has been designated as a Hispanic-Serving Institution, reflecting the great responsibility that the College has to the educational attainment and economic well-being of the surrounding community.
We are a Hispanic and Minority serving institution with established programs for Puente, Umoja, Allies, Veterans and Foster Youth. RCC is a leader in the California Guided Pathways Project, as well as dual enrollment with our local high schools and strong workforce preparation. We are proud of our dedication to all our students and their families and, through a variety of means, provide robust offerings of culturally responsive events, speakers and opportunities for professional development for equity-minded teaching practices.
Master's degree in geography; OR bachelor's degree in geography AND master's degree in geology, history, meteorology, or oceanography; OR the Equivalent. Ph.D. preferred. (All degrees and units used to satisfy minimum qualifications shall be from accredited institutions).
Demonstrated successful experience in teaching physical and human geography lecture and labs is desirable. Online teaching experience is also desirable.
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY:
Must have evidence of a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students (E.C. 87360a).
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITES:
1. Fulfill the duties of a full-time instructor, including, but not limited to, holding weekly office hours and completing 24 hours of "flex credit" through various available activities and seminars.
2. The instructional assignment will include lecture and/or laboratory classes in the discipline.
3. Faculty assignment is based upon the assumption of workload of forty hours weekly, including but not limited to conducting classes, class preparation, student evaluation, office hours, committee work, curriculum and program development, learning outcomes assessment, program review, student activities, and other duties per the bargaining unit agreement.
4. Faculty will participate in outcomes assessment work.
5. Institutional service activities are expected of all faculty members.
6. Participation in discipline/department decision making processes and work regarding curriculum, program development and other matters are also expected of all department faculty.
7. Responsibilities also include maintaining standards of professional conduct and ethics appropriate to the professional position.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
1. Ten-month, tenure-track position.
2. Salary is commensurate with academic preparation, and full-time teaching or equivalent experience with a range from Column C, Step 1 to Column H, Step 6 of the current Faculty Salary Schedule.
3. Medical and dental benefits are provided for the employee and legal dependents.
4. A $50,000 life insurance policy is provided for the employee.
5. Orientation to college is required as is adherence to Improvement of Instruction policy.
6. Maintaining broad knowledge of the academic or occupational area and design pedagogy related to learning outcomes is expected.
7. Responsible for all other conditions of employment required of full-time faculty members such as a willingness to be involved in District and College promotional activities, active participation in college committee work, student activities and other support services, and appropriate professional activities.
The Riverside Community College District complies with all federal and state rules and regulations and does not discriminate on the basis of ethnic group identification, national origin, religion, age, gender, gender identity, gender expression, race, color, ancestry, genetic information, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, or any characteristic listed or defined in Section 11135 of the Government Code or any characteristic that is contained in the prohibition of hate crimes set forth in subdivision (1) of Section 422.6 of the California Penal Code, or any other status protected by law. This holds true for all District employment opportunities. Inquiries regarding compliance and/or grievance procedures may be directed to the District's Title IX Officer/Section 504/ADA Coordinator. Harassment of any employee/student with regard to ethnic group identification, national origin, religion, age, gender, gender identity, gender expression, race, color, ancestry, genetic information, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, or any characteristic listed or defined in Section 11135 of the Government Code or any characteristic that is contained in the prohibition of hate crimes set forth in subdivision (1) of Section 422.6 of the California Penal Code, or any other status protected by law, is strictly prohibited. The Title IX Officer, Section 504/ADA Coordinator for the District is Ms. Lorraine Jones, 3801 Market Street, Riverside, CA 92501. Telephone Number is: (951) 222-8039.
Required Applicant Documents:
Resume or Curriculum Vitae
Letter of Recommendation 1
Letter of Recommendation 2
Masters or Equivalent Transcript
Optional Applicant Documents:
Effective Employment Date: August 2023
Application Deadline: 02-27-2023
* All offers of employment will be contingent upon the availability of funds and approval by the Board of Trustees.
* Only electronic, on-line applications are accepted. All supporting materials, including letters of recommendation, required or optional, must also be in electronic formats and attached to the electronic, on-line application when applying. Supporting materials are only accepted as Adobe Acrobat (.pdf) or Microsoft Word files and must be less than 2 MB in size.
* Paper applications and supporting materials WILL NOT be accepted!
*Cover letter must address how applicant meets the qualifications for the position.
* Letters of recommendation must be recent and NON-CONFIDENTIAL and submitted electronically when applying on-line.
*Copies of degree diplomas/certificates are NOT a replacement for transcripts.
*Interested candidates must apply by the deadline listed above by 8:00 p.m., Pacific Standard Time.
*The District will make reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities. Applicant should contact Human Resources at (951) 222-8595 for assistance.
Application Types Accepted: Faculty Application
To Apply: https://pa379.peopleadmin.com/applicants/Central?quickFind=60543
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert