Posted Salary Range
Commensurate with Experience
Part Time .50
School of Education & Psychology
The incumbent will identify and assist individuals from under
served backgrounds within target areas who can succeed in higher
education. The Academic Specialist is expected to provide academic
tutoring which may include instruction in reading, writing, study
skills, mathematics, science and other subjects for participants
based on grades, the needs assessment and other data.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
Essential Job Functions
- Trained in tutoring/mentoring.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Empathetic and have a positive attitude.
- Monitor progress of participants and to provide appropriate
Academic Specialist will mentor and tutor participants.
This position will be hired as a work-aid student, graduate
assistant, or consultant.
Licensing and Certifications
- Minimum education – College junior or senior majoring in
Education or Psychology
- Preferred education – Bachelor’s degree or higher with teaching
certification in Reading, English, Math or Science.
- Previous work experience with disadvantaged students is
- National Board Certified Teachers are preferable.
License or Professional credentials in relevant discipline (if
Work in noisy (above 85 decibels) areas
Sedentary Work - Exerting 10 pounds
Light Work - Exerting up to 20 pounds
Medium Work - Exerting 20-50 pounds
Heavy Work - Exerting 50-100 pounds
Very Heavy Work - Exerting in excess of 100 pounds
Extended Work Hours
Posting Detail Information
Number of Vacancies
Position End Date (if temporary)
Open Until Filled
Alcorn State University
Equal Employment Opportunity and Notice of
Alcorn State University is an affirmative action and equal
opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive
consideration for employment without regard to race, color,
religion, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender
identity, national origin, veteran status, or genetic information.
Alcorn State University is committed to providing access, equal
opportunity and reasonable accommodation for individuals with
disabilities in employment, its services, programs, and
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Unofficial Transcripts
- Letter of Recommendation (Professional)
- Letter of Recommendation (Personal)
- Letter of Recommendation (Professional or Personal)