Assistant Professor (tenure-earning, or Clinical Assistant) in Special Education
- University of Alabama in Huntsville, College of Education, Department of Curriculum and Instruction
- Huntsville, Alabama
- Salary will be competitive and commensurate to rank, experience, and qualifications
- Posted Date
- Jan 27, 2023
- Position Type
- Faculty Positions, Education, Special Education
- Employment Level
- Tenured/Tenured Track
- Employment Type
- Full Time
TITLE: Assistant Professor (Tenure-earning or Clinical Assistant) in Special Education
ABOUT THE POSITION: The University of Alabama in Huntsville College of Education is seeking a tenure-track OR clinical -track Assistant Professor of Special Education. The ideal candidate will be well grounded in the knowledge and pedagogy of special education for students PreK-12 exhibiting a range of disabilities. The successful candidate will be expected to maintain scholarly activities, teach courses in special education and engage in school, college, university, and national service.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE POSITION:
- Teach undergraduate and graduate courses specifically in special education as well as other foundational courses for both the undergraduate and graduate programs within the Department of Curriculum and Instruction; Supervise and mentor students during their internship; Collaborate with colleagues to conduct program/course planning and revision; Engage in scholarly endeavors, including presentations and refereed publications; Provide academic advisement and mentoring; Provide service to the University, College, Community, and Profession;
- An earned doctorate in Special Education or related field (ABD may be considered) Three (3) years minimum of instructional experience with students PreK-12 in special education settings
- Expertise in Autism, Visual Impairments, or Orientation and Mobility (COMS). Evidence of scholarship (published, in press, or submitted, and presentations). Demonstrated potential in grant writing and implementation. Experience teaching university students in online, hybrid, and/or face-to-face models. Demonstrated ability to work effectively with students and colleagues with broadly diverse perspectives, experiences, and backgrounds in educational, research, or other work activities. Experience in teaching and service with diverse populations and/or in urban settings with a variety of ages, both typically developing children as well as those with developmental delays and disabilities. Demonstrate an understanding of issues of importance to special education and administration, education PK-12, and teacher preparation and professional development. Potential for collaboration with university and community partners.
Rank and Salary: This is a tenure-track OR clinical-track position at the rank of Assistant Professor. Salary will be competitive and commensurate to rank, experience, and qualifications. An excellent comprehensive benefits package is available.
APPOINTMENT DATE: Fall 2023; Spring 2024 considered
ABOUT THE COLLEGE: The College of Education is comprised of the Department of Curriculum and Instruction and the Department of Kinesiology. The College offers both undergraduate and graduate degrees in teacher education and a Bachelor of Science in Kinesiology with concentrations in exercise science, physical education, and sport and fitness management. The Educator Preparation Program serves undergraduate and graduate candidates in the areas of Biology, Chemistry, Collaborative Education (special education), Early Childhood Education/Early Childhood Special Education, Elementary Education, English Language Arts, General Science, General Social Sciences, History, Mathematics, Music Education, Orientation and Mobility, Physical Education, Physics, Visual Arts, Visual Impairments, and World Languages. The College also offers a Master of Arts in Teaching (5th year Alternative Master’s initial license), a Master of Education degree with concentrations in Autism Spectrum Disorders, Elementary Education, Secondary Education, English Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL), Reading Specialist, Visual Impairments, and Orientation and Mobility, and a Master of Science degree in Applied Behavior Analysis. It anticipates launching a Master of Science degree in Kinesiology in Fall 2022. All programs have achieved regional and national recognition for excellence and are approved by the Alabama State Department of Education and accredited by CAEP. For detailed information about the Teacher Education Program at UAH, visit http://www.uah.edu/education.
ABOUT THE UNIVERSITY: The University of Alabama in Huntsville, classified as a High Research Activity institution, offers academic and research programs in the Colleges of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences; Business; Education; Engineering; Nursing; Professional Studies; and Science. Huntsville maintains one of the highest per capita incomes and standards of living in the Southeast. It is a national center of aerospace and high technology research and is home to NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center. Huntsville and surrounding communities present many opportunities for healthcare research and professional practice.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE AND DEADLINE: Applications will be reviewed as received. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Interested candidates should submit a cover letter of interest (relating your experiences to the required and preferred qualifications and responsibilities of the position), curriculum vitae, official transcripts, one or two recent scholarly publications or scholarly works in progress and three current letters of recommendation (within the past year) to:
Special Education Faculty Search
UAH College of Education
Roberts Hall 323
301 Sparkman Drive
Huntsville, AL 35899
*Please note: digital submissions via e‐mail are preferred over mailed submissions.
Please direct any questions related to the position to: Dr. Kimberly Hile, Assistant Professor, Department of Curriculum and Instruction, College of Education (Kimberly.Hile@uah.edu).
The University of Alabama in Huntsville is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer of minorities/ females/ veterans/ disabled.
Please refer to log number: 23-24-636
Apply for Assistant Professor (tenure-earning, or Clinical Assistant) in Special Education
Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert