About Lake-Sumter State College
Transforming lives and futures within our communities!
Located in the heart of Florida, Lake-Sumter State College provides
students with the opportunity to pursue their goals and join
Florida’s dynamic workforce. Under the leadership of our President,
Dr. Heather Bigard, we are embarking on a bold journey to transform
the ways in which we connect and educate our students while
embracing our rich history of high-quality education and
personalized student support services. We currently serve over
6,500 students each year and plan to grow to over 10,000 in the
next several years.
This is an exciting time at Lake-Sumter State College! When you
join our team, you’ll have the opportunity to connect and
collaborate with incredible faculty and staff who are focused on
making a real difference in the lives of students in our community.
Together, we will create a significant impact to meet the needs of
today’s students and prepare for future generations.
We invite you to join us in our commitment to student
The Director of Financial Aid
is responsible for
administrating an established financial aid program (federal,
state, and institutional funds) that adheres to regulations with
integrity, along with upholding the mission and vision of
Lake-Sumter State College. Monitors budgets, provides financial
aid-related advisement and establishes procedures and policies in
compliance with current federal, state, and institutional
1. Supervise all college wide federal, state, and institutional
financial aid programs. Interpret, implement, and insure compliance
with federal and state laws, regulations, rules, and guidelines
relating to financial aid.
2. Develops and implements internal policies and procedures to
3. Manage the daily operations of Financial Aid, including customer
services management, a focus on establishment and updating of
policies and procedures to align with College directives and all
federal, and state guidelines, and attention to continuous
4. Oversee 4 direct reports and two indirect reports including
annual evaluations and retain higher-level oversight of operations
staff who report to the Associate Director.
5. Keep staff informed on new regulations, legislation, code,
policies and procedures, including identification and dissemination
of appropriate training opportunities, planning and participation
in regular meetings.
6. Researches federal policy and makes decisions about unusual
circumstances (appeals) presented by students.
7. Support packaging of financial aid awards and departmental
responses to financial aid appeals; provide oversight of award
process to ensure compliance as well as exception free audits and
program reviews related to the programs administered by the
Financial Aid Office.
8. Develop and administers the department operations budget.
9. Leads the continuous improvement of services offered by the
Financial Aid Office through coordinating evaluation and making
recommendations for program revision.
10. Counsel students, families, faculty, and staff in financial aid
and related financial literacy.
11. Present on Financial Aid within the community and at College
events when needed. Serves on various college and other
organizational committees. Co-processes various financial
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Minimum Master’s degree from a regionally
Preferred: Certified Financial Aid Administrator (CFAA)
Required : Minimum 5-8 years of experience of progressively
responsible experience in financial aid administration. Previous
experience as an Associate or Assistant Director.
Minimum Qualifications & Education
- Advanced knowledge of state, federal and institutional
regulations and guidelines relating to financial aid programs.
- Advanced knowledge of the total financial aid process from
procurement through delivery of funs.
- Knowledge of and experience with SCT Banner financial aid
software and demonstrated skills in electronic spreadsheet and
- Demonstrated financial/fiscal management skills including
forecasting and projections.
- Excellent analytical, information management, and
- Outstanding human relations, written, oral and presentation
- Proven leadership in the areas of supervision, teaching,
training, and motivating staff.
- Ability to give strong direction to financial aid leveraging
strategies to enhance recruitment and retention.
- Promote a common purpose consistent with stated College goals
and demonstrate a commitment to students and the learning
- Possess the knowledge of general written standards and
procedures utilized, and have the ability to read, interpret, and
follow procedural and policy manual related to the job tasks
- Demonstrate the ability to respond to supervision, guidance and
direction in a positive, receptive manner and in accordance with
- Provide quality customer service by creating a welcoming and
- Present a professional image in word, action and attire.
- Demonstrate professionalism in dealing with a diverse
population while understanding and respecting each other’s view of
the world, personalities and working styles
- Conduct oneself in a manner consistent with the College’s
standards of ethical conduct.
- Apply effective techniques to create working relationships with
others to achieve common goals; successfully communicates and
collaborates with others to achieve goals.
- Demonstrate skills necessary to look at situations and
processes critically to make recommendations for improvement.
- Strong service orientation, and ability to effectively work as
member, or leader, of a team by cooperating with others, offering
to help others when needed and considering larger organizational
goals rather than individual concerns. Includes the ability to
build &/or support a constructive team spirit where members are
committed to the goals and objectives of the organization.
- Plan, organize and successfully multitask to meet multiple
deadlines and frequently new work tasks within required timeframes.
Proven flexibility to successfully work on diversified projects at
a fast and accurate pace.
- Effectively manage change and adaptability
- Adheres to all workplace safety rules, safety laws,
regulations, standards and practices
- Ability to work various hours including nights, early morning
- Ability to travel amongst various campuses and attend College
events, or off campus, as required.