Director of Financial Aid
- Lake-Sumter State College
- Florida, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Jan 25, 2023
- Position Type
- Faculty Positions, Business & Management, Business Administration, Administrative, Business & Administrative Affairs, Financial Affairs, Grants & Contracts, Student Affairs, Financial Aid
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Transforming lives and futures within our communities!
Located in the heart of Florida, Lake-Sumter State College provides students with the opportunity to pursue their goals and join Florida’s dynamic workforce. Under the leadership of our President, Dr. Heather Bigard, we are embarking on a bold journey to transform the ways in which we connect and educate our students while embracing our rich history of high-quality education and personalized student support services. We currently serve over 6,500 students each year and plan to grow to over 10,000 in the next several years.
This is an exciting time at Lake-Sumter State College! When you join our team, you’ll have the opportunity to connect and collaborate with incredible faculty and staff who are focused on making a real difference in the lives of students in our community. Together, we will create a significant impact to meet the needs of today’s students and prepare for future generations.
We invite you to join us in our commitment to student success!
The Director of Financial Aid is responsible for administrating an established financial aid program (federal, state, and institutional funds) that adheres to regulations with integrity, along with upholding the mission and vision of Lake-Sumter State College. Monitors budgets, provides financial aid-related advisement and establishes procedures and policies in compliance with current federal, state, and institutional guidelines
Principal Duties & Responsibilities
1. Supervise all college wide federal, state, and institutional financial aid programs. Interpret, implement, and insure compliance with federal and state laws, regulations, rules, and guidelines relating to financial aid.
2. Develops and implements internal policies and procedures to insure compliance.
3. Manage the daily operations of Financial Aid, including customer services management, a focus on establishment and updating of policies and procedures to align with College directives and all federal, and state guidelines, and attention to continuous improvements efforts.
4. Oversee 4 direct reports and two indirect reports including annual evaluations and retain higher-level oversight of operations staff who report to the Associate Director.
5. Keep staff informed on new regulations, legislation, code, policies and procedures, including identification and dissemination of appropriate training opportunities, planning and participation in regular meetings.
6. Researches federal policy and makes decisions about unusual circumstances (appeals) presented by students.
7. Support packaging of financial aid awards and departmental responses to financial aid appeals; provide oversight of award process to ensure compliance as well as exception free audits and program reviews related to the programs administered by the Financial Aid Office.
8. Develop and administers the department operations budget.
9. Leads the continuous improvement of services offered by the Financial Aid Office through coordinating evaluation and making recommendations for program revision.
10. Counsel students, families, faculty, and staff in financial aid and related financial literacy.
11. Present on Financial Aid within the community and at College events when needed. Serves on various college and other organizational committees. Co-processes various financial functions.
Required : Minimum Master’s degree from a regionally accredited institution.
Preferred: Certified Financial Aid Administrator (CFAA)
Required : Minimum 5-8 years of experience of progressively responsible experience in financial aid administration. Previous experience as an Associate or Assistant Director.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required
- Advanced knowledge of state, federal and institutional regulations and guidelines relating to financial aid programs.
- Advanced knowledge of the total financial aid process from procurement through delivery of funs.
- Knowledge of and experience with SCT Banner financial aid software and demonstrated skills in electronic spreadsheet and database software.
- Demonstrated financial/fiscal management skills including forecasting and projections.
- Excellent analytical, information management, and problem-solving skills.
- Outstanding human relations, written, oral and presentation skills.
- Proven leadership in the areas of supervision, teaching, training, and motivating staff.
- Ability to give strong direction to financial aid leveraging strategies to enhance recruitment and retention.
- Promote a common purpose consistent with stated College goals and demonstrate a commitment to students and the learning environment.
- Possess the knowledge of general written standards and procedures utilized, and have the ability to read, interpret, and follow procedural and policy manual related to the job tasks
- Demonstrate the ability to respond to supervision, guidance and direction in a positive, receptive manner and in accordance with stated policies.
- Provide quality customer service by creating a welcoming and supportive environment.
- Present a professional image in word, action and attire.
- Demonstrate professionalism in dealing with a diverse population while understanding and respecting each other’s view of the world, personalities and working styles
- Conduct oneself in a manner consistent with the College’s standards of ethical conduct.
- Apply effective techniques to create working relationships with others to achieve common goals; successfully communicates and collaborates with others to achieve goals.
- Demonstrate skills necessary to look at situations and processes critically to make recommendations for improvement.
- Strong service orientation, and ability to effectively work as member, or leader, of a team by cooperating with others, offering to help others when needed and considering larger organizational goals rather than individual concerns. Includes the ability to build &/or support a constructive team spirit where members are committed to the goals and objectives of the organization.
- Plan, organize and successfully multitask to meet multiple deadlines and frequently new work tasks within required timeframes. Proven flexibility to successfully work on diversified projects at a fast and accurate pace.
- Effectively manage change and adaptability
- Adheres to all workplace safety rules, safety laws, regulations, standards and practices
- Ability to work various hours including nights, early morning and weekends
- Ability to travel amongst various campuses and attend College events, or off campus, as required.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert