HVAC/R Technician, Facilities Services
- University of Montana
- Montana, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Jan 27, 2023
- Position Type
- Faculty Positions, Professional Fields, Vocational & Technical Fields, Administrative, Business & Administrative Affairs, Facilities Management & Physical Plant
- Employment Type
- Full Time
*Application instructions are located at the bottom of the page. Please apply directly through the University of Montana's career portal UM Jobs at https://umjobs.silkroad.com/ for positions at the University of Montana – Missoula, University of Montana Western (Dillon), and Helena College. Do not apply through Indeed.com or use easy apply through Indeed.com * .
Staff Vacancy Announcement
Facilities Services invites applications for two (2) HVAC/R Technicians . The HVAC/R Technician will maintain, troubleshoot, repair, operate and optimize all types of heating, ventilation, air conditioning, refrigeration systems, and control systems. This position will work with other crafts to complete projects. Must be able to work with little supervision and have excellent trouble shooting skills.
- Ability to troubleshoot electrical components of large refrigeration and air conditioning systems; ability to read blueprints and interpret electrical schematics, controls schematics and mechanical drawings; ability to repair and maintain chillers, cooling towers, heat pumps, H.V.A.C. and well water-cooling systems.
- Ability to repair or replace refrigeration compressors and system components; possess an in-depth understanding of the refrigeration cycle; ability to properly braze ACR copper, fittings and use a vacuum pump and recovery unit for making repairs; ability to recover and re-charge refrigeration systems with refrigerant; ability to repair or replace ice machine parts.
- Ability to perform repair or replacement of all pneumatic control systems and equipment; possess an in-depth understanding of air compressors and knowledge of repair procedures, knowledge of pneumatic controls, thermostats, receiver-controllers, and related control devices. Ability to repair maintenance and replacement of refrigerated air dryers and components.
- Ability to perform service repair and maintenance of heating equipment, boilers, pumps, and related equipment; possess an in-depth understanding of the heating cycle and sequence of operation of related equipment; ability to troubleshoot, service and repair: steam, gas and hydronic heating systems.
- Ability to perform repair or replacement of electronic digital control systems; possess an in-depth understanding of programming and servicing building automation controls; ability to adjust settings or logic from a laptop or a work station; able to isolate and repair failed components and calibrate systems.
- Ability to perform repair and maintenance of ventilation equipment; possess an in-depth understanding of how a ventilation system works and be able to troubleshoot, balance, and repair ductwork, sheet metal, and air distribution systems.
(Qualified candidates must be able to meet minimum requirements and perform the primary functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.) (FROM FJD, “Critical Physical Demands”)
- Lifting: Ground to 36 inches, up to 100 lbs. Waist to overhead, up to 15 lbs.
- Carrying: Front carry up to 50 lbs for 50 feet or less, with one hand and two hands.
- Pushing and pulling forces required (during the use of tools and moving equipment): 100 lbs sustained.
- Static trunk forward bending and twisting from a standing, crouching or kneeling position while using tools.
- Reaching with your arms in all directions.
- Working overhead from various positions (standing, squatting, and on knees).
- Balancing when climbing and working on a ladder or scaffold.
- Crouching and kneeling throughout the day on even and uneven surfaces.
- Use of various grip circumferences and strengths as well as static grip positions during the use of various tools (4 1/2" to 5 1/2" circumference needing an average of 50 lbs of grip force) and while manipulating various work materials (maximum 100 lbs).
Minimum Required Experience
- High school graduation or equivalent and five (5) years of field experience in heating, ventilation, air conditioning, and refrigeration trade; or any combination of experience and education.
- Possess an EPA "Type 2" refrigerant certification.
- Possess a valid driver's license.
- Ten (10) years of field experience in heating, ventilation, air conditioning, and refrigeration trade Technical School diploma in HVAC.
- Ability to be self-directed and work under general supervision.
- Be able to use a variety of electrical and mechanical test equipment.
- Possess general knowledge of computer systems and components.
About Facilities Services and UM
Facilities Services is charged with the efficient operation and maintenance of the University’s state-funded physical plant and assists the various auxiliary operations with these services when requested. Facilities Services also supports the campus in enhancing and developing its physical plant.
The University of Montana is flagship, research institution with approximately 10,000 undergraduate and graduate students. It is located in Missoula, a culturally vibrant community of about 75,000, surrounded by mountains and three rivers converge. Abundant recreational opportunities in surrounding state and national forests and nearby Glacier National Park and Yellowstone National Park complement a thriving intellectual atmosphere. The University of Montana offers eligible employees a generous benefits package that positively separates UM from other local employers and offers many programs and policies to support work-life balance for its employees.
The University of Montana is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and has a strong institutional commitment to the principle of diversity in all areas. In that spirit, we are particularly interested in receiving applications from a broad spectrum of qualified people who would assist the University in demonstrating its five priorities for action : Place student success at the center of all we do; drive excellence and innovation in teaching, learning, and research; embody the principle of “mission first, people always"; partner with place; and proudly tell the UM story.
To learn more about the University of Montana please visit the links below.
Position Title: HVAC/R Technician
Position Number: 084310, 084250
Department: Facilities Services
Work Schedule: Full-time, 1.0 FTE (40 hrs/week),
Monday through Friday 8:00am to 4:30pm, 12 months/year
Union Affiliation: Plumbers & Pipefitters Local 459
Probationary Period: Six months minimum
Benefits Include : Insurance package, mandatory retirement plan,
partial tuition waiver, and wellness program.
Criminal Background Investigation is required prior to the Offer of Employment In accordance with University regulations, finalists for this position will be subject to criminal background investigations. ADA/EOE/AA/Veteran's Preference Reasonable accommodations are provided in the hiring process for persons with disabilities. For example, this material is available in alternative format upon request. As an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, we encourage applications from minorities, veterans, and women. Qualified candidates may request veterans’ or disabilities preference in accordance with state law. References: References not listed on the application materials may be contacted; notice may be provided to the applicant. Testing: Individual hiring departments at UM may elect to administer pre-employment tests, which are relevant to essential job functions. Employment Eligibility: All New Employees must be eligible and show employment eligibility verification by the first date of employment at UM, as legally required (e.g., Form I-9).
Must be eligible to work in the United State upon hire. Sponsorship is not available for this position.
How to Apply
Application Deadline: Tuesday, March 14, 2023 by 11:59 PM (Mountain Time)
Complete applications received by the 'Application Deadline’ will be guaranteed consideration. The position will remain Open Until Filled .
Candidates are required to submit the following materials online via "New Resume/CV" button below.
A complete application Includes:
- Letter of Interest – addressing your qualifications and experience related to the stated required skills for the position. A general letter salutation such as “Dear Search Committee” or “Dear Hiring Manager” is acceptable.
- Detailed Resume – listing education and describing work experience.
- Professional References – names and contact information for three (3) professional references.
* Applying through Indeed.com or easy apply through Indeed.com may result in submission of an incomplete application. Applications may be removed from full consideration if they are not complete with materials listed above under the "How to Apply" section. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure complete application materials are submitted and received by the date listed above.*
Job Location Missoula, Montana, United States
Position Type Full-Time/Regular
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert