User Services Consultant - Natural and Social Sciences
- Willamette University
- Oregon, United States
- Salary Not specified
- Posted Date
- Jan 26, 2023
- Position Type
- Administrative, Business & Administrative Affairs, Computer Services & Information Technology
- Employment Level
- Employment Type
- Full Time
User Services Consultant - Natural and Social Sciences
Posting Number: R0004893
Location: Salem Campus
Attention Current Willamette University Employees: In order to apply for posted positions, please close this window and log into your Workday account and apply through the Career worklet.
Instructions for Applicants:
Please read the following carefully before beginning the online application process.
To be considered for employment at Willamette University, please complete our online employment application. Your application and all required attachments -- listed at the bottom of the page -- must be submitted for each individual job post that you are interested in applying for. If there is an application deadline, please ensure that your application is submitted by the deadline. Once you submit your application you will not be able to edit your application.
The User Services Consultant for Natural and Social Sciences is responsible for providing technical support and assistance to faculty, staff, and student employees in the departments of Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Environmental Science, Exercise and Health Science, Mathematics, Physics, Economics, Politics, Psychology and Sociology. This position provides support for research lab computers and associated software and instrumentation used by the above departments as well as classroom teaching computers and laptop carts.
Reasonable Accommodations Statement
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Serves as the initial point of contact for College of Arts and
Sciences (CAS) faculty and staff with questions regarding computing
and network equipment, software, and the implementation of
technology. Researches and recommends solutions as necessary.
Assists faculty and staff in purchasing hardware and
- Manages the setup and maintenance of the computer hardware and
software in laboratories and research spaces of departments listed
above. Ensures technology needs of the students and faculty using
these facilities are satisfied in a timely manner.
- Coordinates technology support for faculty and staff including,
but not limited to standard software applications, computing
devices, the campus network, peripheral devices, and audio-visual
equipment. Maintains an updated inventory of computing equipment
utilized by the supported departments.
- Researches established resources and explores emerging
technologies to support faculty needs and encourages the adoption
of appropriate technology solutions. Serves as a resource person
and coordinator for the integration of educational technologies
into courses. Assists faculty with the development of projects
utilizing information technologies.
- Serves as a member of the WITS User Services group.
Participates in meetings of the User Services group and contributes
to finding solutions to technology problems pertinent to all
segments of the University community. Conducts training sessions on
topics of particular expertise. Supports other members of the WITS
User Services group and other groups within WITS as
- Continually seeks opportunities to proactively improve the
computing environment at Willamette University.
- Any combination of education, training or experience that
provides the knowledge, skills and abilities required to perform
the essential functions of the position. A Bachelor's degree is
required; and one in a field related to one or more of the above
departments is highly desirable.
- Minimum of two years of experience working user services in a
networked computing environment.
- Demonstrated experience creating user documentation.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in:
- Consulting with users on various software, hardware and network
- Operation and trouble-shooting of computers, tablets,
smart-phones and other peripheral devices.
- Support of Microsoft and Apple operating systems.
- Supporting users with applications including but not limited to
Microsoft Office, Google Suite, and Adobe Creative Cloud
- Use and support of a Learning Management System
- A proven customer service orientation with excellent
interpersonal and communication skills.
- Willingness to work with a broad range of educational
technologies and to remain current in the field.
- A proven ability to make technical issues understandable and an
ability to match technical opportunities to University
- Demonstrated commitment to working with diverse colleagues,
students, and community members, and actively engaging in learning
and practicing the principles of equity, inclusion, and
- A Master's degree in a field of study related to the above
- Experience supporting faculty with server-based research
computing in Linux.
- Experience supporting information technology in higher
- Experience in development of instructional
- Experience programming in one or more modern computer
language(s) and relevant experience beyond the minimum
Salary: $24.78 per hour
Typical Work Schedule:
Monday - Friday 8 am - 5 pm
Physical Demands & Working Conditions:
Working conditions can include noisy environments, confined spaces, as well as dusty and dirty environments.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis as received until the position is filled.
All University positions require that candidates submit to a criminal conviction record check prior to hire. Conviction does not automatically preclude candidates from being hired. Nature of conviction will be considered relative to the duties of the position.
You will need to upload the following two documents as part of your application materials in the "My Experience" section labeled Resume:
- Cover letter addressing the required/desired qualifications and
presenting any other applicant characteristics which deserve
- Current Resume
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Apply online at https://willamette.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/willametteuniversityjobs/job/Salem-Campus/User-Services-Consultant---Natural-and-Social-Sciences_R0004893
Believing that diversity contributes to academic excellence and to rich and rewarding communities, WU is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty, staff and student body. We seek candidates, particularly those from historically under-represented groups, whose work furthers diversity and who bring to campus varied experiences, perspectives and backgrounds.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert