Director of University Sustainability Programs, EHSS (2700)
- Idaho State University
- Idaho, United States
- Salary Not specified
- Posted Date
- Jan 26, 2023
- Position Type
- Administrative, Business & Administrative Affairs, Other Business & Administrative Affairs
- Employment Level
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Director of University Sustainability Programs, EHSS (2700)
Pocatello - Main
Idaho State University, established in 1901, is a Carnegie-classified doctoral research and teaching institution, with a culture built on trust, compassion, stability, and hope. ISU serves over 12,000 students in Pocatello, Meridian, Twin Falls, and Idaho Falls. Students and faculty at ISU are leading the way in cutting-edge research and innovative solutions. We are proud to offer exceptional academics nestled in the grand, natural beauty of the West. We invite you to apply to be a part of our University community!
The Director of University Sustainability Programs provides leadership, coordination, and oversight to address the institution's approach to environmental responsibility with the goal to minimize the environmental impact of Idaho State University. This position develops a campus wide sustainability program by coordinating academic, research, operations, and student sustainability activities and programs. The Director fosters a culture of sustainability among students, faculty, and staff; identifies and prioritizes areas for institutional sustainability efforts; plans and develops long- and short-range programs; and engages with institutional leaders to foster sustainability broadly across campus units. This position also serves as the point person for all sustainability activities on campus.
- Promotes sustainability initiatives by working directly with campus operations units, academic units, student organizations and senior administrators
- Works directly with Facilities Maintenance & Operations, Custodial & University Services, Facilities Services, Environmental Health, Safety, and Sustainability, and other departments to integrate sustainability into energy management, operations, maintenance, renovations, grounds keeping, parking and transportation, solid waste management, cleaning practices, etc.
- Assesses and analyzes institutional policies and processes to identify areas in, and processes to which, improvements can be made in accordance with the organization's commitment to sustainability
- Identifies and implements plans to balance operational obligations with the goal of respecting, supporting, and improving the local and global environments
- Proposes and implements strategies to address various environmental concerns including energy use, conservation, reduction of pollution and emissions, recycling, building and facility design, and general education on sustainability
- Serves as campus educational resource and for sustainability information, best practices, data, principles, conservation, sustainability standards, product and equipment selection, and other sustainability issues
- Organizes and leads the campus community in developing and administering short and long-term strategic sustainability plan across all functional units and campus locations that implements sustainability initiatives, objectives, and metrics
- Drafts and implements sustainable organizational policies that address environmental concerns
- Evaluates efficacy of sustainability programs; recommends and implements improvements as necessary
- Conducts internal research to identify environmental and sustainability concerns, interests, and issues
- Considers sustainability proposals with attention to factors such as fiscal responsibility, feasibility, and ease of integration with other programs
- Tracks sustainability data, drafts and prepares reports, presentations, and proposals; presents proposals and recommendations to leadership and other key stakeholders
- Develops and maintains appropriate documentation and records regarding sustainability efforts, programs, resources, and outcomes
- Prepares documentation required for project funding for various environmental initiatives including proposals and grant applications
- Maintains current working knowledge of, and ensures compliance with, all applicable local, state, federal, and internal environmental laws and regulations
- Identifies and facilitates training as needed
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Bachelor's Degree in a relevant field such as engineering, sustainable development, architecture, institutional planning, or closely related field
- Five years leadership/management experience with development and implementation of sustainability programs
- Ability to express a well-defined and developed leadership style
- Thorough and current knowledge of sustainability practices, and applicable laws and regulations
- Excellent data analysis skills and execution
- Ability to work proactively with faculty, students, and staff to integrate sustainability as core responsibilities and daily activities
- Ability to communicate, interact, and present to people of all ages and diverse backgrounds
- Basic understanding of best accounting practices and budget management
- Excellent creative problem solving and analytical skills
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Proficiency in the Windows environment, Microsoft Office (Excel, PowerPoint, Word, etc.), the Google suite of programs, electronic communication, and internet research
- Flexibility to work occasional evenings and weekends as needed
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs. with or without accommodations
- Ability to wear a respirator with or without accommodations
- Ability to respond to after-hours emergencies
- Master's degree in a related field
- Experience performing the related duties and responsibilities in an institution of higher education, or similarly complex organization
- Six or more years leadership/management experience with development and implementation of sustainability programs
- Previous experience in assessing and analyzing energy costs and evaluating carbon emissions data
- Professional certification in environmental sustainability or a related field
You must submit your CV/resume, cover letter, and list of three (3) professional references, including current contact information. This position will remain open until it is filled; however, priority consideration will be given to applications received prior to February 20, 2023. Salary will be between $90,000 and $105,000 per year, commensurate with education and experience. For more information about this position and the University, visit https://bit.ly/Sustainability-ISU.
Benefits include comprehensive health, dental, and vision; life insurance; disability plan; employee assistance program (EAP); excellent retirement options and company contribution; and generous paid time off/sick leave accrual. All offers of employment are conditional pending the successful completion of a background investigation, provided by HireRight.
Posting Number: req1867
Type: Working 12 months per year
Position: Non-classified Staff
Division: Idaho State University
The State of Idaho is committed to providing equal employment opportunities and prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities and prohibit discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, religion, political affiliation or belief, sex, national origin, genetics, or any other status protected under applicable federal, state, or local laws.
The State of Idaho is committed to access and reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities, auxiliary aids and services are available upon request. If you require an accommodation at any step in our recruitment process, you are encouraged to contact (208) 334-2263 (TTY/TTD: 711), or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Preference may be given to veterans who qualify under state and federal laws and regulations.
To apply, visit https://isu.csod.com/ux/ats/careersite/5/home/requisition/1867?c=isu
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert