Assistant Director - Study Abroad
- Northeastern University
- Massachusetts, United States
- Salary Not specified
- Posted Date
- Jan 25, 2023
- Position Type
- Administrative, Student Affairs, Student Activities & Services
- Employment Level
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Assistant Director - Study Abroad & Exchange
About the Opportunity
The Assistant Director of Study Abroad & Exchange maintains expertise in student advising best practice, resource stewardship, internal database systems, and study abroad engagement, outreach, and equitable access. The Assistant Director is responsible for the management of an assigned portfolio of programs, provides a full range of advising services to students, and manages partnerships within their portfolio.
This position may be required to travel to conduct periodic site visits and to attend, facilitate, and/or present at meetings or conferences domestically and internationally. Some evening and weekend hours to lead events will be required to accommodate Northeastern students and faculty.
- Demonstrated knowledge in advising techniques for study abroad programs in a higher education setting. Understanding of the Forum on Education Abroad's standards and ethics.
- Strong oral and written communication to positively engage people from diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds.
- Strong time management and prioritization skills. Strong organizational, project management, administrative, and computer skills.
- Excellent problem-solving and strong analytical skills with proven ability to strategize, prioritize, and multi-task to meet goals and deadlines.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and responsibilities in a fast-paced environment. Ability to interact with global program representatives, faculty, and students in a highly professional manner with an understanding of protocol and confidentiality.
- Ability to effectively represent the University to outside institutions and universities.
- Ability and willingness to work some evening and/or weekend events.
- Demonstrated history of creativity in finding solutions to programmatic challenges while proposing initiatives to move GEO toward its goals and objective.
- Knowledge and skills required for this position are typically acquired through completion of a bachelor's degree required; Master's degree preferred plus previous experience studying or living abroad. Proficiency in Excel and other Microsoft Office software required.
- Familiarity with Salesforce, Terra Dotta, and student record systems (e.g., Banner) preferred.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES & ACCOUNTABILITIES:
1) Student Advising -
Maintain regional expertise, cultural proficiency, and programmatic knowledge in an assigned portfolio of global experiences; Handle a high volume of student communication and be able to provide direction and answers; Maintain general knowledge of financial policies and processes to educate and advise students on how to finance their global experience; Advise students on application process, monitor progress toward completing applications, changing status, withdrawals, etc.
2) Partnership Management -
Communicate professionally and effectively with external stakeholders and manage a portfolio of programs including contracts, partner engagement, continuous assessment. Liaise with cross-functional teams to arrive at mutually agreeable and productive solutions; Maintain accountability for budgeting with the Finance & Operations team.
3) Events Management -
Conduct pre-departure orientations and re-entry programming. Connect outgoing students with current or past exchange students to create meaningful connections prior to and while abroad.
4) Administrative Duties -
Assist in the management of the Terra Dotta application system, troubleshooting student and faculty issues as they arise; Provide on-campus customer service representation on a rotating basis; Serve in the on-call emergency response rotation.
Northeastern University considers factors such as candidate work experience, education and skills when extending an offer.
Northeastern has a comprehensive benefits package for benefit eligible employees. This includes medical, vision, dental, paid time off, tuition assistance, wellness & life, retirement- as well as commuting & transportation. Visit https://hr.northeastern.edu/benefits/ for more information.
Northeastern University is an equal opportunity employer, seeking to recruit and support a broadly diverse community of faculty and staff. Northeastern values and celebrates diversity in all its forms and strives to foster an inclusive culture built on respect that affirms inter-group relations and builds cohesion.
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
To learn more about Northeastern University's commitment and support of diversity and inclusion, please see www.northeastern.edu/diversity.
To apply, visit https://northeastern.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/careers/job/Boston-MA-Main-Campus/Assistant-Director---Study-Abroad---Exchange_R112443
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert