- San Diego State University
- California, United States
- Salary Not specified
- Posted Date
- Jan 25, 2023
- Position Type
- Administrative, Business & Administrative Affairs, Facilities Management & Physical Plant
- Employment Level
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Operations & Events Program Assistant
GENERAL PURPOSE: The Operations and Events Program Assistant is will assist with the supervision and coordination of the daily operations of the Aztec Recreation Center, ARC Express, Recreation Field and ENS 700 Field. This position will focus on the safety and operations, on-site event supervision, equipment and facility maintenance, and staff trainings and development. The Operations and Events Program Assistant is responsible for upholding the Aztec Recreation mission and values of Wellness, Integrity, Safety, Service, Professionalism, Excellence, and Respect.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Supervises daily operations and events of the Aztec Recreation Center, ARC Express, Recreation Field and ENS 700 Field to ensure compliance with all Aztec Recreation, facility, and university policies to ensure a safe and enjoyable environment for all members, affiliates and guests
- Responsible for the supervision and security of the Aztec Recreation Center, ARC Express, Recreation Field and ENS 700 Field. Consistently and confidently enforce all polices established to ensure participant safety and facility integrity.
- Responsible for assisting with event scheduling, setups, supervision and teardowns for Aztec Recreation facilities special events.
- Assists with supervision of event staff
- Supervises the establishment and maintenance of rental event records; writes or oversees the writing of reports as needed to provide information regarding events
- Reviews and seeks the approval of any pertinent program area procedures, processes, and trainings as well as operations manuals related to both facility operations and special events
- Assists with administrative tasks, data entry, reports and reporting via EMS (Event Management Software) and Connect 2
- Assists with misconduct and policy violation investigations and documentation
- Assists Aztec Recreation program staff with programming and scheduling (intramurals, sport clubs events, group fitness classes etc.)
- Responsible for completing and reporting regular facility audits and equipment inspections, including assisting with annual physical inventory
- Assists with the development, planning and facilitating of the Lead Development Training Sessions for Aztec Recreation Leads and the Student Advisory Leadership Team
- Ensures the implementation of appropriate risk management plan; prepares required injury/incident reports; reports any facility hazards; proactively take steps to eliminate future risks
- Inventories and maintains all equipment and supplies to ensure quality, safety, and security
- Position includes coordinating building event reservations via EMS, supervising special events, managing internal reservations via the university scheduling software (Astra) to ensure accuracy, tracking fitness equipment, supplies and personal protective equipment, and updating signage on both the website and in all facilities
- Tracks department American Red Cross Certificates and develops plan for new blended learning trainings as needed for staff recertification
- Assists with transition of new ARC facility, including but not limited to, equipment placement and tagging and new rental policies and guidelines
- Knowledgeable of departmental and facility procedures and emergency policies; stays current on issues/changes in operations
- Proposes future efficiencies and establish protocols and procedures for ARC operations and facility operations
- Maintains strong communication with Aztec Recreation full-time staff
- Completes other duties and projects as assigned
Customer Service and Collaboration
- Establishes and maintains working relationships with various A.S. and University departments
- Maintains positive and effective working relationships with all customers
- Informs supervisor of any customer issues
- Ensures all operations are conducted with safety of staff and customers as first priority, and in accordance with the Injury and Illness Prevention Plan and other safety policies
- Adheres to Associated Students' Code of Safe Practices
- Reports accidents to supervisor and reviews changes required to avoid reoccurrence Ensures completion proper documentation is completed for each accident (employee and/or non-employee) and forwards to supervisor
- Reports maintenance problems and/or broken and unsafe equipment to the appropriate party immediately
Minimum & Preferred Requirements
- Bachelor's Degree from a regionally accredited college or university in Recreation, Recreational Administration, Physical Education, Sports Administration, or a related field or equivalent combination of education and experience preferred.
- Acceptance to an SDSU graduate degree program preferred.
- Two years supervisory experience in a recreation or related field preferred
- Experience coordinating or working with special events preferred
- Experience with recreation facility management required
- Demonstrated experience and understanding of guest services and customer service required
- Experience with EMS (Event Management Systems) software and Connect 2 preferred
License & Certification:
- American Red Cross CPR/AED, and First Aid certifications required (or ability to obtain prior to position start date)
- American Red Cross Instructor Certification required (or ability to obtain within first 3 months of hiring)
- Must complete Gender Awareness, Computer Security and Sexual Harassment Prevention training within 30 days of hire
- Must be punctual and regular in attendance: arrive on time and ready for the workday
- Must be able to work with confidential items and understand the importance of confidentiality in project work
- Strong organizational skills required. Must be able to follow oral and written directions and follow projects through to completion.
- Must meet commitments and complete tasks satisfactorily
- Must be able to work independently and stay focused under pressure
- Must help accomplish specific tasks and improve the work process
- Must be accurate and detail oriented with strong organizational skills required
- Must be professional and courteous at all times
- Must be able to work well with different work styles
- Must be able to work efficiently and show initiative
- Must be able to coordinate multiple tasks, projects, and assignments within appropriate timelines
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Ability to multi task, work in a fast paced environment, and focus on attention to detail
- Ability to handle difficult situations involving participants with patience, good judgment, and with diplomacy is expected
- Ability to work with a diverse group of people effectively and diplomatically
- Must have strong English language skills and the ability to read, write and verbally communicate at a level appropriate to the duties of the position
- Must possess excellent customer service skills, including written and oral communication
- Proficient computer skills are required
- Ability to recruit, train, and supervise personnel
- Ability to prioritize workload
- Ability to manage information flow (including internal, external and customer communication and filing/documentation)
- Ability to develop positive working relationships and work effectively with other employees/departments
- Ability to demonstrate thoroughness, completeness, follow through on presentation and appearance of work
SCHEDULE & WORKING CONDITIONS
This is a part-time position. Must be able to work up to 30 hours per week. Work schedule consists of evening, weekend and holiday shifts. Work schedule hours consists of shifts between the hours of 6am-1am, evenings, weekends and holidays.
WORK ENVIRONMENT The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
General office environment. Work is generally sedentary in nature, but may require standing and walking around campus. The working environment is generally favorable. Lighting and temperature are adequate, and there are no hazardous or unpleasant conditions caused by noise, dust, etc. Work is generally performed within an office environment, with standard office equipment available.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position requires the individual to spend long hours sitting and using office equipment and computers. This person will also spend time filing and have to do some lifting of supplies and materials from time to time, including banker boxes and files. Furthermore, this position will require the ability to lift 45lbs and move heavy equipment.
Physical requirements include but are not limited to; walking, walking over rough or uneven surfaces, bending, stooping, climbing, and working in confined space, lifting, pushing, pulling and carrying loads up to 50 (pounds unassisted) and 75 pounds (with assistance). Work may require standing and moving for extended periods.
Inside the Organization:
- Reports to the Operations Supervisor
- Interacts with Member Services Staff and Building Services Engineers
- Further interactions may include other full-time and part-time staff within Aztec Recreation
EMPLOYMENT CATEGORY: Starting Range $17.30 - $19.30 per hour
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with Associated Students. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current Associated Students employees who apply for the position. Fingerprinting is required for all employee and volunteer positions that have direct contact with minor children. A credit check will also be required.
To apply, visit https://cta.cadienttalent.com/index.jsp?POSTING_ID=99886708307&locale=en_US&SEQ=jobDetails&applicationName=AssociatedStudentsofSanDiegoStateUniversityPTReqExt
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert