Dean, College of Arts and Sciences
- Salem State University
- Salem, Massachusetts
- $170K-$175K annually
- Posted Date
- Jan 25, 2023
- Position Type
- Administrative, Academic Affairs, Academic Administration, Deans
- Employment Level
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Reporting to the Provost and Academic Vice President, the Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences is the Chief Academic Officer for the College, responsible for leading it into greater prominence through the pursuit of excellence in scholarship and educational programs; for championing the importance of a liberal arts education for all Salem State students; for appointing and developing a diverse faculty and staff, with specific reference to the university’s emergence as a Hispanic Serving Institution; and for developing initiatives in the College that will contribute to the University’s ever-growing importance to the North Shore region and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
Salem State University values, appreciates diversity in all its forms and endeavors to create a space that reflects the campus community population which it serves. Our students come to Salem State University from 38 states and 48 countries and reflect the demographics of the greater Boston community in which we live. We are passionate about providing an experience for them and our fellow staff and faculty, where everyone can feel supported while they explore, learn, and celebrate their identities, similarities, and differences. We welcome you to become a member of our community.
- An earned terminal degree in an arts, humanities, social science, physical science, or related discipline from a regionally accredited institution of higher education
- Five or more years of increasingly responsible management and leadership positions in a teaching-oriented university of comparable complexity
- Evidence of having earned tenure at a four-year college or university
- A clear and strong record of commitment to liberal arts education, both undergraduate and graduate
- Evidence of the capacity to lead with innovative vision that enhances the mission of the College
- A demonstrable commitment to diversity and inclusivity
- A record of success in participating in and promoting effective shared governance
- An earned doctoral credential from a regionally accredited institution of higher education;
- A record of teaching effectiveness and scholarly and/or creative accomplishments commensurate with the rank of full professor
- A scholarly, creative and/or lived experience aligned with the university’s status as an emerging Hispanic Serving Institution
- Experience with labor relations in a collective bargaining environment
Salem State University complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified applicants and employees with disabilities. For accommodation information or requests please email email@example.com.
Office activities are performed in an environmentally controlled office setting subject to extended periods of sitting, keyboarding and interaction with computer equipment; occasional bending, reaching, lifting, pushing and pulling up to 5-10 pounds.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please apply online and attach resume and cover letter. For full consideration, candidates should submit all materials no later than Friday, February 6, 2023.
This position is classified as a non-unit professional. As such, the successful candidate cannot simultaneously hold a faculty appointment during the term of appointment as dean. The anticipated start date is July 1, 2023.
Employment is contingent upon a completed background and CORI check satisfactory to the university. Internal candidates are not subject to background check.
This position is not eligible for H1B visa sponsorship.
Please note all newly hired staff and faculty, will need to be in compliance with Salem State University’s COVID-19 Vaccination and Booster Requirement.
Salem State University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Persons of color, women and persons with disabilities are strongly urged to apply.
Please Note: If there is no application deadline associated with a position, it may be removed at any time and additional applications will not be accepted.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert