The Director of the Office of Sponsored Programs provides
leadership for the development and administration of externally
funded grants, contracts, and related functions in support of the
College's strategic priorities, mission, and institutional values
of equity, diversity, and inclusion. With a high level of
independence and autonomy, the Director is responsible for the
successful identification, cultivation, collaborative
conceptualization, solicitation, and stewarding of a wide range of
grant proposals and reports submitted on behalf of the College and
Pls to relevant government agencies and other funders.
This position reports directly to the Provost. The individual in
this position works closely with grant principal investigators
(including faculty and staff), the academic deans, and members of
the Executive Staff of the College. This individual works
collaboratively with the Director of Foundation and Corporate
Relations in the Institutional Advancement Office, and with the
Grants Accounting Manager with the Financial and Administrative
Services Office. The Director supervises the Office Manager for the
Office of Sponsored Programs.
- Oversee the submission of extramurally-funded proposals and the
negotiation of research contracts and subawards.
- Managing and monitoring relevant institutional committees and
offices for needed compliances.
- In collaboration with Provost, maintains institutional
signature authority on extramurally-funded proposals and
- In collaboration with the Grants Accounting Manager interprets
regulations and guidelines for the institution and maintains
required policies and procedures.
- In collaboration with the Grants Accounting Manager maintains
internal control documentation in compliance with federal, state
and private regulations and guidelines.
- In collaboration with the Grants Accounting Manager writes,
updates, and maintains the Principal Investigator/Program Director
Handbook, which will serve as the policies and procedures manual
for College grants and contracts.
- Provides support and training to all grant stakeholders on how
to more efficiently and effectively manage their respective grants
in following College policy, granting agency guidelines, and all
applicable federal regulations.
- Stays informed of changing funding opportunities, compliance
requirements, and best practices through involvement in
professional networks and training opportunities.
- Keeps campus partners informed of funding opportunities.
- Keep institutional logins current for external electronic
- Answer questions related to sponsor guidelines and proposal
- Provide required institutional information / documentation for
- Assist faculty in preparing proposal budgets and gathering
administrative requirements for proposal submissions.
- Submit grants on behalf of the College and execute required
- Track submitted proposals/contracts and funding statuses.
- Determine status of pending applications through proactive
- Accept awards on behalf of the institution.
- As needed, serve as the liaison for Institutional Advancement
for privately-funded submissions.
Post-Award (In collaboration with the Grants
Account Manager and the Finance Office)
- Negotiate contracts and incoming subawards on behalf of the
institution; Liaise to Legal as needed.
- Review financial risks inherent in doing business with the
sub-recipients; Review sub-recipient audit results and issue
management responses and actions as needed.
- Assist principal investigators in interpreting sponsor
- Review and submit agency prior approval requests.
- Be the liaison with the Financial and Administrative Services
Office for award spending and audits of sponsored awards.
- Prepare reports regarding grant funding efforts and successes
to assist in setting priorities for the college.