Assistant Professor: Counseling Psychology
- Austin Peay State University
- Clarksville, Tennessee
- Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience and education.
- Posted Date
- Jan 19, 2023
- Position Type
- Faculty Positions, Social & Behavioral Sciences, Psychology, Administrative, Student Affairs, Counseling
- Employment Level
- Tenured/Tenured Track
- Employment Type
- Full Time
The Department of Psychological Science and Counseling at Austin Peay State University (APSU) seeks to fill a tenure-track faculty position in the area of Counseling Psychology with a start date of August 1, 2023. This position will serve our new PsyD program in Counseling Psychology which launched Fall 2020. The program offers a generalist track as well as a concentration in Serving Military Personnel, Veterans, and their Families. The person hired for this position will have a unique opportunity to help build and shape an innovative, forward-looking doctoral training program in health service psychology. Strong candidates will possess a deep commitment to the foundational values that characterize the field of counseling psychology: a holistic, contextual, strengths-based approach to intervention, emphasis on integration of science and practice, and a steadfast dedication to diversity and social justice.
A doctorate (PsyD or PhD) in Counseling Psychology (preferred) or Clinical Psychology (acceptable) from an APA-accredited program is required. Preferred candidates will be licensed as a psychologist HSP or be license-eligible in TN within 1 year of hire. Clinical, teaching, and research areas are open, but interest and expertise in substance use disorders, health psychology, neuropsychology, or geropsychology as well as experience working with military populations is desirable but not required. All APSU faculty are expected to be engaged in university and community service, and scholarly activities. The university has plentiful funding opportunities to help support research, teaching, and professional development.
The Department of Psychological Science and Counseling is a diverse, dynamic, and collegial environment that in addition to the PsyD program, is home to a large undergraduate program in psychological science, a Master of Science program in Industrial and Organizational Psychology (MSIO), a Master of Science program in Counseling, and a graduate certificate program in Academic Advising. For more information about the department, visit: http://www.apsu.edu/psychology/index.php . The department is housed within the College of Behavioral and Health Sciences which affords rich opportunities for interdisciplinary collaborations. Some examples of recent and ongoing college collaborations include a grant-funded research and intervention project aimed at supporting student veteran transitions to college, a grant-funded project focused on student mental health and wellness, a juvenile justice mentorship project, and a working group focusing on trauma-informed pedagogy.
Austin Peay State University is located in Clarksville, TN, which Money Magazine rated number 1 in its 2019 Best Places to Live rankings: https://clarksvillenow.com/local/clarksville-named-best-place-to-live-by-money-magazine/. Clarksville is a vibrant, diverse community with a low cost of living, and easy interstate access to nearby Nashville. Clarksville is centrally located in the region, with Memphis, Louisville, Atlanta, St. Louis, Chicago, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, New Orleans, and many other major cities a day’s drive away. For additional information about APSU including our mission and vision please visit: https://www.apsu.edu/about-apsu/index.php
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Demonstrate willingness and ability to work effectively with colleagues to support the mission of the institution and related academic units.
- Be responsible for a minimum of 30 teaching load credits per academic year, 6 of which will be for advisement, research, committee work, etc.
- Be willing to teach at times and places necessary to meet student needs.
- Be willing to adopt innovative teaching methods and delivery as appropriate.
- Possess the knowledge, talents and skills in the discipline to promote effective teaching.
- Demonstrate respect for the diverse learning needs of students.
- Demonstrate the ability to develop and implement curriculum objectives and content for courses offered and taught in one’s curriculum area.
- Demand and maintain high standards and expectations for all students.
- Implement teaching activities and a diversity of teaching techniques, procedures, and resources including application of technology.
- Develop and implement evaluation and assessment techniques that are appropriate for each course.
- Use multiple measures to assess student learning on a regular basis and provide frequent feedback to students relative to their performance.
- Be available and knowledgeable and demonstrate proficiency in the practice of academic advisement of students.
- Conduct appropriate research and scholarly/creative activity within the discipline.
- Effectively utilize the materials and resources of the Felix G. Woodward Library.
- Demonstrate evidence of continuing professional development and growth by being suitably active in professional and community service.
- Exhibit motivation and initiatve in keeping up-to-date and current in one’s curriculum area by reading/reviewing current scholarly or creative works in their field and by attending conferences, seminars, workshops, courses, and development activities sponsored by the University.
- Serve effectively on committees and other appropriate functions that assist in University governance.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Pedagogical Skills in Counseling Psychology
- Knowledge base in Counseling Psychology
- Knowledge and Skills in Research Methods
Required Minimum Qualifications
- Earned PhD or PsyD from an accredited institution in Counseling or Clinical Psychology. ABD considered if conferred before August 1, 2023.
- Documented evidence of ability in academic assignment and/or scholarly and creative achievement, and/or professional contributions and activities.
Apply at: https://apsu.peopleadmin.com/postings/14593
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert