Dean of the College for Education and Engaged Learning
- Montclair State University
- Montclair, New Jersey
- Commensurate with experience
- Posted Date
- Jan 17, 2023
- Position Type
- Faculty Positions, Education, Education Administration & Leadership, Administrative, Deans
- Employment Level
- Employment Type
- Full Time
ABOUT MONTCLAIR STATE UNIVERSITYMontclair State University is a nationally recognized Research Doctoral University that empowers students, faculty, and researchers to exceed expectations and drive innovation. Montclair ranks among the top 20 universities nationally for social mobility and is noted for its exceptional student outcomes that far exceed experts’ predictions. Montclair is a designated R2 Doctoral Research Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) – one of only two in New Jersey and the largest in the state. Situated just 12 miles from New York City on a beautiful 252-acre suburban campus, the University welcomes a diverse population of students representing 42 U.S. states and territories and 113 countries. As an HSI institution, Montclair State University is majority-minority serving. More than 33% of undergraduate students are the first in their family to pursue higher education and nearly 44% are Pell eligible. Montclair also ranks in the top 13% of 4,500 postsecondary institutions in the U.S. for return on investment.
Montclair State University invites applications for the position of Dean of the College for Education and Engaged Learning to start July 1, 2023. The Dean of the College for Education and Engaged Learning will inspire and demonstrate a spirit of innovation, a participatory leadership philosophy, and a deep commitment to a healthy academic community, climate, and culture within the College. The ideal candidate will be a visionary and collaborative leader with national prominence and reputation. Reporting to the Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs, the Dean serves as the lead academic and administrative officer for the College who supervises academic programs that align with the University's strategic plan. They will also coordinate the activities of assistant/associate deans, department chairs, directors, and administrative staff.
It is expected that the Dean leads by modeling for faculty and staff positive supports and inclusive practices of diverse individuals to normalize the tenets of anti-racism, social justice, equity, diversity, and belonging, which ground the mission of the College. This inaugural Dean will prioritize an increased focus on the educational needs of minoritized populations, deepening and developing partnerships with urban districts and community organizations. They will ensure the College contributes to an anti-racist and inclusive campus environment.
The Dean will elevate the College's national and international profile and advance excellence in teaching, research, and program development in response to the changing landscape of P-12 education, higher education, and the needs of our community partners. The Dean is responsible for facilitating academic programs, strategic planning, assessment of student learning, and CAEP accreditation. The Dean oversees faculty and staff recruitment, development, retention, and support, and manages a budget including personnel and operating funds. They also work closely with university development to seek external financial support and establish strategic resource partnerships for the College. The Dean will engage key College stakeholders; lead advisory board meetings; strengthen alumni relations; partner with university development, and identify opportunities to build, expand and strengthen our community engagement. The faculty and staff seek a seasoned leader with a national reputation to lead the College towards long-term growth and stability.
- Works collaboratively with faculty, staff, and key community members to articulate a compelling mission and vision, and strategic plan for the new College.
- Identifies new initiatives for program development and interdisciplinary opportunities and collaborates with other schools and colleges across campus also for research and scholarship.
- Cultivates a culture of openness, communication, trust, support, and collaboration within the College.
- Embraces the value of the lived experience of Montclair State University students, centering the College's impact on students and their future well-being.
- Brings an asset orientation to diversity and is responsive to the needs and interests of students who are Pell eligible, English learners, neurodiverse, LGBTQ+, and racially and ethnically diverse.
- Recognizes the value and importance of teacher education, administrator education, higher education, and educational foundations to the preparation of educators to serve a wide variety of institutional contexts for justice and the public good.
- Operationalizes the values of shared governance and transparent communication with chairs, directors, staff, and faculty while setting clear expectations and accountabilities.
- Leads the recruitment, enrollment, and retention efforts of high-caliber students locally, nationally, as well as internationally.
- Leads recruiting, hiring, and retention efforts for highly qualified diverse faculty and staff; complies with collective bargaining contracts.
- Prioritizes a consistent and continuous review of the staff and faculty experience to actively nurture employee’s professional development, satisfaction and retention.
- Establishes and maintains excellent relationships with the state and local education administrators and advocates, local schools, and districts.
- Directs national and/or state accreditation and certification, assessment, and ongoing academic program development and serves as the professional liaison with government and professional agencies and associations.
- Works with faculty and staff to respond to current local, national, and international trends and opportunities in education to advance the College.
- Promotes a culture of excellence, ethics, service, and continuous improvement.
- Fosters and supports a climate of research and innovation to impact education outcomes at all levels of education (PK-12 and post-secondary), supporting faculty and students in those efforts.
- Leads effective fiscal management and innovative fundraising for the College.
- Works to advance research and scholarly activities for the College, including inter-institutional and multi-sectoral efforts.
- Drives innovative community engagement and public service efforts.
- Embodies a commitment to innovation through the use of diverse technologies and social media to communicate with public and private stakeholders.
- Incorporates student leadership to inform governance and decision-making.
- Acts as the “face and voice” of the College.
- Ph.D. or Ed.D. from an accredited university.
- Record of distinguished academic achievement (including tenure) appropriate for appointment at the rank of full professor in a department of the College.
- An outstanding reputation and recognized leadership in higher education, including experience at local, state, and national levels in education, teacher education, higher education, or educational leadership preparation.
- A commitment to excellence and innovation in teaching/learning, scholarship and research, community engagement, and the effective application of knowledge.
- A record of successful administration in higher education and a broad understanding of the issues and trends in higher education and K-12 education.
- A commitment to maintaining and extending student and faculty diversity.
- A demonstrated record in the acquisition of external resources from government agencies, foundations, the corporate sector and/or private donors.
- A track record of building and strengthening relationships with regulatory agencies, associations, and other institutions of higher education at the state and national levels.
- Service to schools and districts, with a commitment to urban education and addressing issues of equity and justice through research and/or practice.
- Record of success in advancing anti-racist culture and fostering a diverse, equitable, and inclusive educational environment for students, staff, and faculty.
- Financial acumen and budgetary expertise, including strategic resource allocation, grant management, and public funding.
- Experience with administrative operations such as admissions and program advisement, enrollment, marketing, financial aid, accreditation, student affairs, planning and budgeting, faculty and curriculum assessment, information technology.
- Success in recruiting, retaining, and mentoring faculty and staff, including mentoring faculty in their research, teaching, service, clinical, and administrative endeavors.
- Experience working in a collaborative bargaining environment.
FOR FURTHER DETAILS, PLEASE VISIT: https://montclair.edu/dean-ceel-prospectus/
PROCEDURE FOR CANDIDACY
Applicants should include a curriculum vitae and cover letter describing how their background, skills and education match the needs of the University. When applying, please take a moment to carefully read and follow the steps in the application instructions.
Confidential review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled, with priority consideration to applications received by March 1, 2023.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert