Accounting Associate III, UM Housing
- University of Montana
- Montana, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Jan 16, 2023
Application instructions are located at the bottom of the page. Please apply directly through the University of Montana's career portal UM Jobs at https://umjobs.silkroad.com/ for positions at the University of Montana – Missoula, University of Montana Western (Dillon), and Helena College. Do not apply through Indeed.com or use easy apply through Indeed.com * .
UM Housing invites applications for an Accounting Associate III to oversee indirect supervision to the UM Housing and Griz Card cashiers regarding compliance of the Cash Handling Policies. Responsibilities for this position include, but aren’t limited to:
- Providing timely and accurate financial information/accounting services to UM Housing and Griz Card regarding a departmental budget in excess of $15M.
- Reconciling month end financials and entries for Griz Card and UM Housing, including cashier deposits on a daily basis and cash funds on a monthly basis.
- Working under the supervision of the Director of Fiscal and
Facility Operations to perform complex accounting tasks including,
but not limited to:
- Purchasing and procurement.
- Compiling and reconciling monthly and year end inventories.
- Reconciling balance sheet and income statement accounts.
- Ensuring the accuracy of year and accounting processes.
- Providing accurate accounting, budgetary and programmatic
support, including, but not limited to:
- ProCard management.
- Residence hall programming account.
- Not paid/not registered students.
- Apartment rent.
- Producing accurate and timely reports to management including monthly P&Ls for UM Housing operational units.
- Maintaining and enforcing rent collection, cash handling policies and procedures.
- Providing effective cashier training and assisting in the supervision of student and classified cashiers, as needed, to ensure the accuracy of all transactions and postings, including issuing cash funds, auditing cash and treasury funds and processing change requests.
- Assisting with preparation of detailed budgetary documents for UM Housing management including, but not limited to: payroll, room rent analysis, forecasting and other revenue and expense related documents.
- Contributing to the success of UM as an active member of the team and embracing the philosophy of UM Housing.
- Microsoft Excel formulas, formats and tables.
- University budgeting processes and requirements.
- Ability to interpret data and make informed decisions.
- The Budget Office budget system.
- Ability to speak ‘budget’ to ‘non-budget’ people.
- The Banner computer system.
- The StarRez computer system and its interaction with Banner.
- Audit controls.
- The Banner Chart of Accounts.
- The Banner Finance System.
- University of Montana Data Warehouse (UMDW).
- UM, UM Housing and Griz Card:
- Accounts receivable policies and procedures.
- Purchasing policies and procedures.
- General policies and procedures.
- Excellent computer data entry skills.
- Excellent guest service and phone service skills.
- Accuracy and attention to detail.
- Excellent written and verbal communication.
- Ability to accurately and quickly count large sums of currency.
- Expert knowledge of the treasury’s policies and procedures for deposits.
- Ability to develop and establish work flow priorities and effectively multitask to accomplish a broad range of fiscal reporting.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and Access Programs, including the ability to design, produce, and maintain reports as needed.
- Ability to understand the accounting cycle and the effects of transactions on the financial statements including the balance sheet.
- Extensive knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and fund accounting.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting and prior experience working with accounting or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
UM Housing provides safe, clean, healthy, and affordable living and learning facilities that foster an inclusive community living environment for students, staff, faculty, and guests. Services provided in these facilities support and nurture educational experiences and personal development at the University of Montana.
The University of Montana is flagship, research institution with approximately 10,000 undergraduate and graduate students. It is located in Missoula, a culturally vibrant community of about 75,000, surrounded by mountains and three rivers converge. Abundant recreational opportunities in surrounding state and national forests and nearby Glacier National Park and Yellowstone National Park complement a thriving intellectual atmosphere. The University of Montana offers eligible employees a generous benefits package that positively separates UM from other local employers and offers many programs and policies to support work-life balance for its employees.
The University of Montana is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and has a strong institutional commitment to the principle of diversity in all areas. In that spirit, we are particularly interested in receiving applications from a broad spectrum of qualified people who would assist the University in demonstrating its five priorities for action : Place student success at the center of all we do; drive excellence and innovation in teaching, learning, and research; embody the principle of “mission first, people always"; partner with place; and proudly tell the UM story.
To learn more about the University of Montana, Missoula, and the State of Montana, please visit the links below.
- University of Montana
- City of Missoula
- The State of Montana
Position Title: Accounting Associate III
Position Number: New
Department: UM Housing
Work Schedule: Full-time, 1.0 FTE (40 Hours a week), Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, 12 months/year.
Union Affiliation: FOCUS-MFPE
Probationary Period: Six months minimum
Benefits Include : Insurance package, mandatory retirement plan, partial tuition waiver, and wellness program.
Criminal Background Investigation is required prior to the Offer of Employment In accordance with university regulations, finalists for this position will be subject to criminal background investigations. ADA/EOE/AA/Veteran's Preference Reasonable accommodations are provided in the hiring process for persons with disabilities. For example, this material is available in alternative format upon request. As an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, we encourage applications from minorities, veterans, and women. Qualified candidates may request veterans’ or disabilities preference in accordance with state law. References: References not listed on the application materials may be contacted; notice may be provided to the applicant. Testing: Individual hiring departments at UM may elect to administer pre-employment tests, which are relevant to essential job functions. Employment Eligibility: All New Employees must be eligible and show employment eligibility verification by the first date of employment at UM, as legally required (e.g., Form I-9).
Must be eligible to work in the United State upon hire. Sponsorship is not available for this position.
How to Apply:
Priority Application Date: Monday, February 13, 2023 by 11:59 PM (Mountain Time)
Complete applications received by this date will be guaranteed consideration. To receive full consideration, candidates are required to submit all of the following materials. Application will remain open until position is filled.
Please submit the following application materials** via the UM Jobs portal and by clicking "New Resume/CV" button. Please do not apply through Indeed.com*.
*Please note, only five (5) attachments allowed per application. Please combine documents accordingly.
A complete application Includes:
- Letter of Interest – addressing your qualifications and experience related to the stated required skills for the position. A general letter salutation such as “Dear Search Committee” or “Dear Hiring Manager” is acceptable.
- Detailed Resume – listing education and describing work experience.
- Professional References – names and contact information for three (3) professional references.
* Applying through Indeed.com or easy apply through Indeed.com may result in submission of an incomplete application. Applications may be removed from full consideration if they are not complete with materials listed above under the "How to Apply" section. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure complete application materials are submitted and received by the date listed above.
** Please note: only five (5) attachments are allowed per application. Please co mbine documents accordingly.
Job Location Missoula, Montana, United States
Position Type Full-Time/Regular
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert