Research Scientist, STEM Translational Communication Center and the Clinical and Translational
- University of Florida
- Florida, United States
- Salary Not specified
- Posted Date
- Jan 13, 2023
- Position Type
- Faculty Positions, Communications, Public Relations & Advertising
- Employment Level
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Research Scientist, STEM Translational Communication Center and the Clinical and Translational Sciences Institute
Job No: 524126
Location: Main Campus (Gainesville, FL)
Department: 23150000 - CJC-STEM TRANSLATIONAL COMMN
The University of Florida's STEM Translational Communication Center (STCC) invites applications for the position of Health Communication Research Scientist. This is a 12-month position, non-tenure track. Health Communication Research Scientist will participate in research and administration related to translational health communication and participant recruitment and retention. In this role, the candidate will serve as a liaison between the UF STEM Translational Communication Center and the Clinical and Translational Sciences Institute. The candidate will serve as the Manager of the CTSI Recruitment Center and contribute to the development and implementation of strategic communication plans to advance the science of participant recruitment and retention at the university, provide leadership and oversight to improve recruitment and retention of diverse populations in clinical studies, consult with UF faculty on high priority and sponsored projects, and supervise staff to perform recruitment-related functions. In addition, the candidate will collaborate with investigators at UF and other CTSAs on both externally funded proposals and scholarly publications. The Center is particularly interested in candidates who conduct research relevant to recruitment communication, research participation and health decision-making, social/digital media, health inequities in clinical trials, and translational science.
- Provide scientific expertise in recruitment science and administrative leadership within the Recruitment Center in the UF CTSI.
- Develop and implement initiatives and strategic plans to promote and improve recruitment and retention of diverse populations to clinical research studies.
- Lead and conduct educational workshops, lectures, and seminars on clinical recruitment communication.
- Manage research staff to optimize the recruitment and retention of diverse populations to clinical research studies.
- Collaborate with key stakeholders within the university (e.g., IRB) as well as developing and maintaining relationships with other CTSAs.
- Provide communication expertise and regulatory support in the development and implementation of recruitment protocols.
- Consult with UF faculty on high priority studies and sponsored projects.
- Conceptualize, design, implement, and direct research projects in the areas of health communication and recruitment science
- Develop, write, and submit grant proposals of original research as principal investigator or Co-investigator to extramural funding agencies
- Write manuscripts, articles, abstracts, and research reports for publication in peer-reviewed journals.
- Attend and present research findings at regional, national, and international scientific conferences.
- Mentor and support post-doctoral researchers, graduate students, and research staff in the development of research protocols, collection and analysis of data, and preparation of abstracts, presentations and manuscripts related to translational communication.
- Participate in the supervision of trainees, students, and research staff
About the University of Florida
UF is the state's sole member of the Association of American Universities. It is in the midst of a multi-year, pre-eminence initiative that has created more than 600 new faculty positions and generated a $70 million partnership with NVIDIA to create the nation's top research lab in artificial intelligence. In 2021, UF's research spending totaled more than $1 billion.
UF offers a competitive salary commensurate with similar positions and includes a full benefits package. To view the university's total reward benefit package, visit https://benefits.hr.ufl.edu/.
About the University of Florida College of Journalism and Communications
Accredited by the Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communications, the College has earned its reputation for excellence over the last half century and on the strength of its programs, faculty, students and alumni; the stories they tell; and the difference they make around the world. Our dozens of full-time faculty members and part-time instructors serve in four academic departments: Advertising, Journalism, Public Relations and Media Production, Management and Technology. We enroll both in-person and online undergraduates earning bachelor's degrees and graduate students earning master's and doctoral degrees. Visit www.jou.ufl.edu for more information about our Department of Journalism.
About Gainesville, Florida
As home to Florida's largest and oldest university, Gainesville (http://cityofgainesville.org) is one of the state's centers of education, medicine, cultural events and athletics. Gainesville and the surrounding area are home to about 250,000 people, a robust arts community, several museums, a world-class health care system anchored at UF, a downtown core known for its restaurants and brew pubs, excellent public and private schools, and abundant nature exemplified by clear, natural springs. Additionally, within two hours are attractions such as Disney World, University Studios, Busch Gardens and historic St. Augustine. Explore Gainesville in 60 Seconds.
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
The University of Florida fosters an inclusive environment and seeks applications from a broad spectrum of individuals including women, members of diverse ethnic groups, and persons with disabilities. The University of Florida is an equal opportunity institution. The recruitment/selection process will be conducted in accordance with Florida's "Government in the Sunshine" and public records laws.
Ph.D. in communication or related field
- 5 years of related work experience.
- Record of original research in health communication with an emphasis on research participation and recruitment, social/digital media, decision-making interventions, health inequities in clinical trials, and translational science.
- Demonstrated knowledge to oversee all aspects of participant recruitment (e.g., social media campaigns, in person recruitment, use of registries, etc.)
- Ability to successfully interact with diverse stakeholders including participants, clinicians, basic scientists, and translational researchers.
- Demonstrated ability to work with interdisciplinary teams.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Experience consulting in a collaborative research environment on study recruitment and retention.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Applicants should submit a cover letter, CV, and contact information for academic references (minimum of 3).
Review of applications will begin on November 1, 2022 and will continue until the position is filled.
Final candidate will be required to provide official transcript to the hiring department upon hire. A transcript will not be considered “official” if a designation of “Issued to Student” is visible. Degrees earned from an education institution outside of the United States are required to be evaluated by a professional credentialing service provider approved by National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES), which can be found at http://www.naces.org/.
The University of Florida is an equal opportunity institution dedicated to building a broadly diverse and inclusive faculty and staff.
The University of Florida is An Equal Employment Opportunity Institution. If an accommodation due to a disability is needed to apply for this position, please call 352/392-2477 or the Florida Relay System at 800/955-8771 (TDD). Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the US. Searches are conducted in accordance with Florida's Sunshine Law.
Health Assessment Required:
Special Instructions to Applicants
Health Assessment Required: $Health
Applications Close: $Closes
To apply, visit https://explore.jobs.ufl.edu/en-us/job/524126/research-scientist-stem-translational-communication-center-and-the-clinical-and-translational-sciences-institute
The University is committed to non-discrimination with respect to race, creed, color, religion, age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, marital status, national origin, political opinions or affiliations, genetic information and veteran status in all aspects of employment including recruitment, hiring, promotions, transfers, discipline, terminations, wage and salary administration, benefits, and training. jeid-eeb649b1553b0d46b53c4133c65a5e0b
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert