Marketing Communications Program Manager – Student Affairs
- San Jose State University
- California, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Jan 12, 2023
The Marketing Communications Program Manager for Student Affairs plays a pivotal role in shaping the university’s communication to prospective students, current students and their families. In this capacity, the incumbent will improve the enrollment experience, foster a sense of belonging, support academic success and ensure families have accurate information on a timely basis. This position requires a strategic mindset, enthusiasm for higher education and strong communications and organization skills.
Reporting to the Executive Director of Strategic Content and College Marketing, with a dotted line to the Vice President for Student Affairs, the incumbent serves as the lead marketing and communications officer for the Division of Student Affairs. The incumbent provides strategic communications support to the Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs with responsibilities for creating strategies and crafting messages that resonate with prospective students applying best practices and adopting new approaches to communicate with current students and their parents/guardians; and helping students adapt to their environment and fostering a sense of belonging. More specifically, the incumbent will manage the communications vehicles that service the entire division, provide strategic guidance about content and timing, and create narrative and visual content, all while ensuring brand standards are met. Additionally, the incumbent integrally involved with any crisis communication related to students and/or the division.
- Understands, articulates, and promotes the mission, vision and identity of the Division of Student Affairs.
- Conceptualizes, creates, implements and assesses marketing and communications efforts that enhance the division’s image and position within the university, higher education in general, and among the external public.
- Crafts, facilitates and produces internal and external communications, including those to families/guardians, as needed.
- Serve as a resource for editorial direction, design, production and distribution of all student affairs key messages and publications.
- Collaborates with Media Relations to provide appropriate responses to media inquiries.
- Monitors social media and app channels to identify topics that are confusing students and provides responses, as needed.
- Collaborates with Enrollment Management Technical Implementation and Communication to ensure enrollment communications and marketing is clear, concise and in line with brand standards.
- Develops technical assistance and resource materials to assist various departments in the marketing, communications and positioning of their activities.
- Leads special projects as assigned, such as special events, re-branding/logo development, and the division’s communications plan.
- Responsible for publicizing and showcasing the diverse array of programs and services sponsored by the Division of Student Affairs, affiliated student organizations, and campus partners.
- Provides support to the Vice President, cabinet members, and selected others in communications matters and marketing and writing activities.
- Works with various staff and volunteers to develop and maintain a strategic perspective -- based on marketplace and constituent needs and satisfaction -- in organizational direction, program and services, decision-making; and ensure the overall health and vitality of the division.
- Develops short- and long-term plans and budgets for the marketing and communications program and its activities, monitor progress, assure adherence and evaluate performance.
- Develops, implements and monitors systems and procedures necessary to the smooth operation of the marketing and communications function.
- Experience developing and implementing executive level and mission-critical communication strategies
- Skilled in translating organizational priorities into structured, strategically aligned plans with objectives, strategies, tactics, timelines, resources, and metrics
- Demonstrated experience in integrated communications strategy and execution across channels including digital and print
- Extensive knowledge of strategic analysis, customer segmentation strategies and marketing planning
- Excellent written and oral communication and presentation skills; Ability to write quickly and under time pressure constraints
- Demonstrated ability and experience using Drupal or equivalent web CMS, Illustrator; DSLR camera Canva and Marketo
- Knowledge of HTML and related website development technologies
- Familiarity with basic SEO strategy and web accessibility principles
- Ability to write and edit content for the web, with knowledge of best practices for content strategy and management
- Strong creative eye
- Strong project management and communication skills
- Strong ability to manage time effectively, manage multiple projects simultaneously, handle multiple assignments under pressure with interruptions, and meet deadlines
- Thorough knowledge of principles and practices in crisis and emergency communications; Skill to establish an environment of and maintain strict confidentiality
- Expert judgment, analytical and decision-making skills and keen political acumen
- Ability to think quickly and appropriately to effectively address potentially negative, sensitive or difficult situations
- Ability to synthesize disparate inputs, ideas and suggestions and forge consensus
- Strong interpersonal skills, ability to make people feel valued and motivated while accomplishing difficult tasks
- Experience collaborating with designers, web developers, photographers, multimedia specialists, content developers and social media communicators.
- Experience with market research and using research results to inform marketing planning and implementation.
- Bachelor’s degree, which includes relevant coursework in the field
- Five years of related professional or technical experience
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, marketing, and/or public relations preferred. Graduate degree in a related field is desirable
- Experience developing and managing budgets, and hiring, training, developing, supervising and appraising personnel
- Minimum 4 years of experience in marketing, communications or public relations with demonstrated success, preferably in higher education
- Experience overseeing the design and production of print materials and publications, website management, and social media content creation and management
- Experience demonstrating excellent computer literacy in word processing, data base management and page layout including experience with MS Office product and other general-purpose tools (Acrobat, FTP, multiple Internet browsers, etc.)
- Strong oral and written communications skills
- Ability to work independently and responsibly while managing numerous projects simultaneously
Classification: Public Affairs/Communication Specialist III
Anticipated Hiring Range: $5,211/month - $6,200/month
CSU Salary Range: $4,391/month - $7,945/month
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary .
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
CSU Vaccination Policy
The CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be fully vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus (including all booster doses of an approved vaccine for which an individual is eligible per current CDC recommendations) or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. As a condition of employment, any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement as well as with other safety measures established on the campus. The system wide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/ and questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org .
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment. Incumbent is also required to promptly report any knowledge of a possible Title IX related incident to the Title IX Office or report any discrimination, harassment, and/or retaliation to the Office of Equal Opportunity.
Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act and Campus Housing Fire Safety Notification:
Pursuant to the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, the Annual Security Report (ASR) is also now available for viewing at https://www.sjsu.edu/clery/docs/SJSU-Annual-Security-Report.pdf. The ASR contains the current security and safety-related policy statements, emergency preparedness and evacuation information, crime prevention and Sexual Assault prevention information, and information about drug and alcohol prevention programming. The ASR also contains statistics of Clery crimes for San José State University locations for the three most recent calendar years. A paper copy of the ASR is available upon request by contacting the Office of the Clery Director by phone at 408-924-1501 or by email at email@example.com .
Pursuant to the Higher Education Opportunity Act, the Annual Fire Safety Report (AFSR) is also available for viewing at https://www.sjsu.edu/clery/docs/SJSU-Annual-Fire-Safety-Report.pdf . The purpose of this report is to disclose statistics for fires that occurred within SJSU on-campus housing facilities for the three most recent calendar years, and to distribute fire safety policies and procedures intended to promote safety on Campus. A paper copy of the AFSR is available upon request by contacting the Housing Office by phone at 408-795-5600 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).
Advertised: January 12, 2023 (9:00 AM) Pacific Standard Time
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert