Part-Time Counselor, Licensed
- Lone Star College
- Texas, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Jan 11, 2023
- Position Type
- Faculty Positions, Education, Counsellor Education, Administrative, Academic Affairs, Adult & Continuing Education Programs, Student Affairs, Academic Advising & Academic Support Services, Career Services, Counseling
- Employment Level
- Employment Type
- Part Time
Commitment to Mission
This job carries with it the obligation to uphold the Mission of Lone Star College (LSC) in carrying out the duties of the position. A commitment to positive interpersonal behaviors, professional communication, diversity, integrity, leadership, stewardship, respect and accountability to LSC students and employees is essential.
- One LSC
- Student Focused
- Own It
- Advance Equity
- Cultivate Community
- Choose Learning
Lone Star College was recognized in eight areas: Professional Development; Mission & Pride; Supervisor/Department Chair Effectiveness; Confidence in Senior Leadership; Faculty & Staff Well-Being; Shared Governance; Faculty Experience; Diversity, Inclusion & Belonging .
Campus Marketing Statement
Lone Star College-North Harris
Lone Star College offers high-quality, low-cost academic transfer and career training education to 93,000+ students each semester. LSC has been named a 2021 Great Colleges to Work For® institution by the Chronicle of Higher Education and ranked 35th in Texas in the Forbes ‘America’s Best Employers By State’ list.
LSC consists of eight colleges, seven centers, eight Workforce Centers of Excellence and Lone Star Corporate College.
Lone Star College-North Harris, nestled on 200 acres of piney woods, is the original and largest college in the Lone Star College System family. Serving the community for more than three decades, LSC-North Harris offers more than 60 programs of study, including university-transfer and numerous education courses and programs. LSC-North Harris is keenly focused on leading-edge technology in emerging technical job fields.
Location address is 2700 W.W. Thorne Drive, Houston, TX 77073.
PURPOSE AND SCOPE:
The PT Counselor specializes in counseling for career exploration and planning and assistance with job search skills. Will also be responsible for academic counseling and advising. Assists other areas of focus in Counseling, Career and Disability Services, including personal counseling, serving students with special needs, retention and outreach programming. Contributes to the educational environment of the college by teaching and providing support for classroom learning career related workshops and presentations.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Provides career, academic and personal counseling as well as information and assessment services to support student learning, development and attainment of career goals for new and continuing students and community members
- Leads continued development of effective career/occupational assessment, exploration, planning and job search skills
- Works with employment coordinators on job fairs, employer development and job development
- Develops and maintains professional relationships with students, colleagues and the community
- Develops and presents academic support and career seminars and workshops based on student population and faculty needs
- Provides crisis/short term counseling
- Provides career related services for the retention of at-risk students including the socially and economically disadvantaged, the academically underprepared, nontraditional and returning students
- Serves as a community resources person for career planning and represents the college to outside groups when requested
- Responsible for other reasonable, related duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Demonstrated skill and knowledge in career, personal and/or retention counseling
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated commitment to the philosophy of LSC
The work is sedentary. Typically, the employee sits comfortably to do the work. However, there may be some walking; standing; bending; carrying of light items, such as papers, books, or small parts; or driving an automobile. No special physical demands are required to perform the work.
WORK SCHEDULE AND CONDITIONS:
- Equipment used includes, PC workstation running on a LAN in a Microsoft Windows environment, calculator, phone and other general office equipment
- Interface with internal and external contacts as needed to carry out the functions of the position
- Work is performed in a climate-controlled office with minimal exposure to safety hazards
- Must have and maintain the appropriate State licensure to be recognized as a mental health counseling practitioner in the State of Texas. Examples include, but are not limited to, a Licensed Master Social Worker (LMSW), Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW), Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC), Licensed Professional Counselor-Associate (LPC-A), Licensed Marriage Family Therapist (LMFT), Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist-Associate (LMFT-A), or Licensed Clinical Psychologist (Ph.D. or Psy.D.).
- Bilingual (English/Spanish)
Hourly Pay Rate is $24.34
Benefits Marketing Statement
By joining our top-notch institution, you will enjoy being a part of an organization that offers a supportive, collegial work environment, excellent work/life balance, tuition waiver, participation in a tax deferred retirement plan and more.
Go to the Job Search page, click on ‘My Activities’ at the top of the page. Under My Cover Letters and Attachments you will click on ‘Add Attachment.’ Please be sure to put the Job ID# in the title once you name your file for cover letters only, unless you attached your cover letter with your resume.
If you are applying for an Instructional position (i.e. Faculty, Adjunct Faculty, Instructor), please ensure you include the following to be considered: Resume/CV, Cover Letter, Teaching Philosophy, and unofficial transcripts.
You must limit your file name for any attachment to 40 characters or less.
How to Apply
ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE ONLY
We will not accept application material received via fax, email, mail, or hand delivered.
Postings for part-time and adjunct positions are active for the academic year. By selecting the option to receive notifications on your profile, you will begin receiving electronic communication regarding new opportunities with Lone Star College (LSC).
If selected for an interview, a recruiter will contact you by phone, or email to schedule an interview.
Lone Star College participates in the E-Verify program, under which Lone Star College provides the federal government with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm that the employee is authorized to work in the United States.
More information on the E-Verify program is available at www.dhs.gov/E-Verify .
Lone Star College is an EEO Employer. All positions are subject to a criminal background check.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert