Visiting Assistant Teaching Professor in Visual Communication Design
- Department of Art, Art History, and Design
- Notre Dame, Indiana
- Posted Date
- Jan 12, 2023
- Position Type
- Faculty Positions, Arts, Design & Graphic Arts
- Employment Level
- Non-Tenured Track
- Employment Type
- Full Time
The Department of Art, Art History, and Design at the University of Notre Dame seeks a designer and educator eager to work with talented students and utilize state of the art facilities to further their own research.
Visiting teaching positions are a 9-month contract and include a 3/3 teaching load with minimum administrative responsibilities. Courses may span our undergraduate program, depending on the candidate’s experience and expertise.
About the Design Program
The Notre Dame Design program provides a holistic approach to the practice of design, combining theory, methods and traditional skill sets to develop thoughtful, creative, impactful practitioners with robust career trajectories. We weave principles of perception, agency and action through our distinctive humanist approach to understanding lived experience that guides students in understanding the impact of their work through the design of our world. As the only undergraduate VCD/ID Design program at a top 20, nationally-ranked research university, Design at Notre Dame arms our distinctive student population with the tools to address a broad set of challenges. We encourage criticality of existing paradigms while envisioning new, possible futures by giving them tangible shape, purpose, and value to fuel human-centered flourishing.
The design division (ID and Visual Communication Design) offers MFA, BFA, and BA degrees, as well as a minor in Collaborative Innovation. The Minor is a dynamic catalyst for process-based, cross-disciplinary collaboration between various academic departments across the university. Visual Communication Design curriculum blends professional practice with human-centered social innovation to provide diverse interdisciplinary routes for our students. The VCD program offers instruction in traditional and emerging areas of design—including access to 2D/3D computer labs, a dedicated maker space (laser cutting, CNC router, 3D printers, traditional wood shop), departmental printing/binding resources (plotters, vinyl cutting, and Risograph printer).
About the Department and University
The Department of Art, Art History and Design (http://artdept.nd.edu) has twenty-four full-time faculty members and is located within the College of Arts and Letters. The University of Notre Dame seeks to attract, develop, and retain the highest quality faculty, staff and administration. The University is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and is committed to building a culturally diverse workplace. We strongly encourage applications from female and minority candidates and those candidates attracted to a university with a Catholic identity. Moreover, Notre Dame prohibits discrimination against veterans or disabled qualified individuals, and requires affirmative action by covered contractors to employ and advance veterans and qualified individuals with disabilities in compliance with 41 CFR 60-741.5(a) and 41 CFR 60-300.5(a). Salary includes a full benefits package.
- A terminal degree (MFA/MDES) or equivalent in the field of Graphic or Visual Communication Design.
- Demonstrated experience teaching two or more of the following areas: introductory design, typography, publication design, identity design, motion design, interaction design, or emergent technologies/virtual platforms.
- A strong record of professional or academic accomplishment with the field of design.
- Collaborative and interpersonal skills to work effectively with a diverse setting
- University-level teaching experience.
- Proficient knowledge of the Adobe Creative Suite and prototyping software that are commonly used in visual communication design.
- Broad experience across traditional and digital media.
Please include the following:
- A letter of interest
- Curriculum vitae
- Statement of research interests and/or professional practice agenda
- Statement of teaching philosophy
- Example syllabi (if available)
- 10-20 examples of professional practice
- Examples of student work (if available)
- Three references (contact information only)
Links to professional websites are welcome.
Review of candidates will begin March 18, 2023 and continue until the posting is closed.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert