- Dartmouth College
- New Hampshire, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Jan 12, 2023
- Position Type
- Faculty Positions, Arts, Design & Graphic Arts, Professional Fields, Architecture, Science, Technology & Mathematics, Engineering, Administrative, Business & Administrative Affairs, Computer Services & Information Technology, Facilities Management & Physical Plant
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Open Until Filled
Department this Position Reports to
Engineering and Utilities
Hiring Range Minimum
Hiring Range Maximum
Not an SEIU Position
Regular Full Time
Scheduled Months per Year
Scheduled Hours per Week
position requires being on campus when needed – TBD (2-3+ days/week); candidate would need to be within communicable driving distance to the campus
Location of Position
Remote Work Eligibility?
Is this a term position?
If yes, length of term in months.
Is this a grant funded position?
Participates in all aspects of day-to-day operations of the Dartmouth College engineering office. The position is supervised by the Engineering Design Manager and also receives technical guidance from the Campus Senior Electrical Engineer. The FO&M engineering office strives to provide high quality engineering services for a wide range of projects and clients, including working with Project Managers on in-house design and renovation projects, working with FO&M shops on system upgrades, improvements, replacements, and O&M procedures, assisting with design and analysis of energy efficiency projects, and providing review and technical oversight of projects designed by outside consultants. The activities of the Electrical Engineer may include design reviews, field investigations, electrical, lighting and lighting control system design and layout, equipment selection and specification, drafting, code review, calculations including spreadsheet analyses and use of engineering software, writing control system sequences of operation, construction administration, and commissioning services.
These are very exciting times for Dartmouth – the engineers who are hired for these positions will be part of the team that will be designing and implementing significant energy efficiency and low-carbon energy solutions on our campus to reduce our greenhouse gases by over 80%!
We are recruiting candidates who are passionate about carbon reduction to join our campus Engineering Team.
The Dartmouth campus is planning major energy infrastructure renewal capital projects over the next ten+ years to transition the campus to a low carbon energy future. These projects include transitioning campus heating and cooling generation plants to low carbon plants utilizing heat pumps, geo-exchange systems, solar hot water systems, thermal storage, solar photovoltaic electricity generation, and other low carbon technologies.
Required Qualifications - Education and Yrs Exp
Bachelors plus 3-5 years' experience or equivalent combination of education and experience
Required Qualifications - Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical or architectural engineering technology, or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Two plus years of supervised electrical design and drafting with an MEP consulting firm, or the equivalent.
- Familiarity with all aspects of low voltage (480 V or less) electrical design, including calculations and field experience. Experience with fire alarm and network communications systems a plus. Experience with higher voltage (4160 V to 13.2 kV) systems a plus.
- Experience with energy efficient lighting and electrical system design and control strategies.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze and solve problems associated with the operation and maintenance of electrical systems and equipment.
- Registered Professional Electrical Engineer in New Hampshire, or the ability to become registered in New Hampshire with required level of experience.
- High level of proficiency with AutoCAD drafting software. Proficiency with 3D drafting software such as Revit is a plus.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel.
- Detail oriented self-starter with good interpersonal and decision making skills.
- Ability to relate well with a diverse group of constituents and to build strong relationships within and among those groups.
- Strong service orientation and a demonstrated desire to continually improve the service and operations of an organization
Matthew Cilley, Engineering Design Manager
Equal Opportunity Employer
Dartmouth College is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion. We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, veteran status, marital status, or any other legally protected status. Applications by members of all underrepresented groups are encouraged.
Employment in this position is contingent upon consent to and successful completion of a pre-employment background check, which may include a criminal background check, reference checks, verification of work history, and verification of any required academic credentials, licenses, and/or certifications, with results acceptable to Dartmouth College. A criminal conviction will not automatically disqualify an applicant from employment. Background check information will be used in a confidential, non-discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal law.
Special Instructions to Applicants
All Dartmouth College employees, whether working on-site or remotely, are required to be up to date with vaccination against COVID -19 (or to have received an approved exemption from vaccination through the Office of Institutional Diversity and Equity). Please visit https://dartgo.org/vaxpolicy for details. Compliance with this requirement is a condition of employment. Failure to meet this condition of employment within the first 30 days may result in Dartmouth in its sole discretion ending employment.
Dartmouth College has a Tobacco-Free Policy. Smoking and the use of tobacco-based products (including smokeless tobacco) are prohibited in all facilities, grounds, vehicles or other areas owned, operated or occupied by Dartmouth College with no exceptions. For details, please see our policy. https://policies.dartmouth.edu/policy/tobacco-free-policy
As Owner’s Engineer, provides electrical engineering oversight of consultants’ studying, designing, constructing, and commissioning new construction and renovation projects in campus buildings, utility plants, and utility distribution systems.Projects may involve electrical distribution and equipment ranging from low voltage to 13.2 kV. Projects also may include fire alarm and communication systems. Checks designs and installations for compliance with Dartmouth College design and construction guidelines, energy performance guidelines, and relevant building codes, including ASHRAE, NFPA, IBC, and local regulations and zoning. Activities include attending project meetings, developing consultant scopes of work, conducting design reviews, conducting selected submittal reviews, construction observation, commissioning oversight, and project closeout verification as Owner’s Engineer.
Percentage Of Time
Acts as liaison between FO&M and various departments requesting engineering support services campus-wide. Works closely with FO&M shops on troubleshooting, providing technical insight, problem solving, and implementing solutions for maintenance and operations related projects Provides technical oversight of projects to successful completion, and issues work orders as needed to complete various jobs .
Percentage Of Time
Engineering Design and Construction Administration
Provides engineering design and construction administration services for a variety of small mechanical system renovation/renewal projects in academic, administrative, utility and residential use facilities. Prepares bid documents including equipment selection, system layout and design, drafting, and specifications. Construction administration services include shop drawing review, attendance at job meetings, clarification of installation details with contractors in the field, review of as-built documentation and archiving, and conducting field inspections with reports.
Percentage Of Time
Campus Design and Construction Guidelines
Participates in continuous improvement of campus design and construction guidelines, and high performance building design guidelines, for designers and contractors doing work on the campus.
Percentage Of Time
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
We are actively striving to make Campus Services a desired place to work in the Upper Valley, a place where people feel welcomed, where they can be their authentic selves, be heard, and feel accepted. We want this culture to be felt by those who receive our services. The way we treat one another should be the same way we treat our customers.
- Demonstrates a commitment to diversity, inclusion, and cultural awareness through actions, interactions, and communications with others.
- Participates in division wide DEI initiatives and training, including promotion of the 7 Principles (Empathy, Fair, Dependable, Inclusive, Considerate, Vulnerability and Respect)
- Willingness to foster a growth mindset in the areas of increasing diversity, equity, and inclusion across the division
- Collaborates, when appropriate, on other DEI -related initiatives within the division and College
Demonstrates a commitment to diversity, inclusion, and cultural awareness through actions, interactions, and communications with others.
Performs other duties as assigned.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Talent Acquisition Consultant
- American Library Association
- Chronicle of Higher Education
- Chronicle of Philanthropy
- Dartmouth College Employment Website
- Internal Employee Referral (Please specify full name below)
- Higher Ed Jobs
- Inside Higher Ed Jobs
- National Black MBA Association
- Recruit Military
- Valley News
- Other (Please specify below)
- If you answered, 'Internal Employee Referral' or 'Other' to the
above question, please specify here:
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
- Additional Document #1
- Additional Document #2
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert