Graduate Assistant in Athletic Academic Counseling
- Eastern University
- Saint Davids, Pennsylvania
- Posted Date
- Jan 12, 2023
- Position Type
- Administrative, Academic Affairs, Other Academic Affairs
- Employment Type
- Part Time
Graduate Assistants (GAs) will work with undergraduate student-athletes to provide academic support and life skills development. GAs will meet with the Academic Counseling Staff at least once per month for supervision to enhance professional development.
● GAs will conduct one-to-one meetings with identified at-risk student athletes from a variety of courses in order to assist students in improving their writing and academic skills
● Complete required reports for each meeting session
● Attend staff meetings, when necessary.
● Staff drop-in hours for student-athletes in identified academic space
● Participate in training from the Writing and Tutoring Center
● Other Athletic Department administrative duties will be assigned if academic support duties are below the required 10 hours a week.
Position Dimensions and Compensation
● Details of Position: GA’s will work 10 hours per week, in-person, on the St. Davids campus. Evening hours will be necessary with occasional events on weekends. Flexible scheduling is available to include day time hours when the GA is available.
● Compensation: GAs will provide academic support 10 hours a week for 15 weeks per contracted semester. Graduate assistants are given a 50% tuition scholarship for the Spring 2023 semester.
Selection Process for Current Students / Prospective Students
- Complete the Graduate Admissions Application (if you are a new applicant), submit all necessary documentation required, and receive your letter of acceptance. Submit an essay (2-5 double-space pages) commenting on
- How will this graduate assistantship help you develop academically and professionally?
- How will you give top priority to your graduate studies and the GA responsibilities?
- Submit all completed documents, including resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Strong writing skills and extensive experience writing at the college level Strong interpersonal communications skills Strong organizational skills Assistantships are offered to full time students only (6-9 credits a semester). If a student fails to: remain full time during a school year, maintain GPA 3.25, complete required hours of work, or perform at the satisfactory level after being selected as an assistant, assistantship could be revoked.
- tutoring and/or teaching experience, knowledge of composition/writing theory experience working with diverse learners
About Eastern University
Eastern University is a Christian university of the arts and sciences that integrates faith, reason and justice for students in its undergraduate, graduate, Seminary, urban, professional and international programs. Applicants should have a religious commitment compatible with its mission and be willing to support the mission and vision of the university. The university complies with federal and state guidelines of nondiscrimination in employment; members of protected classes encouraged to apply.
Standard University employees are required to complete the background clearance process. Employment is contingent upon the successful results of an employment background screening. The employment background screening may include but is not limited to your consumer credit history (for positions that work with the university finances or alumni funds only), verification of education and professional credentials, criminal history, driving history, residency, immigration status, performance, references, and other qualities pertinent to your qualifications for the following position.
Youth Clearances are required for positions with direct contact with children and essential personnel positions. Employees working with or around minor age children are required to complete the youth clearance process which includes the following four child protection clearances:
2) FBI Criminal Record Check;
3) Pennsylvania Department of Human Services Child Abuse History Clearance and;
4) Pennsylvania State Police Criminal Record Check.
In accordance with state laws, Act 73 of 2007, Act 153 of 2014, Act 168 (relating to the Child Protective Services Law), school employees of Eastern University who will have "direct contact with children" must complete the background check process prior to employment. Results must be submitted within ten days of receipt.
This description is intended to describe the general level and nature of work performed by the person/people assigned to this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of duties and responsibilities of the person/people so assigned.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert