American University Library invites applications for a part-time
Public Affairs Librarian. The position is for 20-27 hours per week
with the focus on covering late afternoon and night classes,
beginning immediately through June 30, with potential for renewal
into the next year .
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
- Support the Public Affairs librarian in supporting our School
of Public Affairs.
- Provide subject-specific information literacy instruction for
Government, Political Science and Justice, Law and Criminology, and
- Provide individual research appointments for students in
- Assist the Public Affairs Librarian in creating and maintaining
online tutorials and research guides.
- Participate in support for our Writing Studies partnerships by
providing baseline information literacy skills instruction for
first year students.
- Be available to serve on the Research Assistance Desk as a
substitute for general reference services.
Required Education and Experience
- This position supports late afternoon and night classes.
- The weekly schedule can be worked out with the supervisor, but
the expectation is that when a class needs night support, this
position will provide that support up until 9:30 PM. It is not
anticipated that this position would always have to work until 9:30
- This position requires onsite presence.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- ALA-accredited M.L.S. or an individual who is currently
enrolled in an M.L.S. program and has completed at least a year of
that program and who has an appropriate subject-oriented degree in
such fields as Political Science, Criminology, Legal Studies, or
Public Affairs is required.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work
independently and collegially.
- Experience teaching and subject expertise in a discipline
related to public affairs is strongly preferred.
- Experience in public service in an academic library is
Current American University Employees:
- Hiring offers for this position are contingent on successful
completion of a background check.
- To ensure the health and safety of our community AU requires
COVID-19 vaccinations for faculty and staff. Click here to learn
more about our health and safety directive.
If you are a current full-time or part-time staff member at
American University, please log intoAsuccessfulU through themyAU
portal . Once in AsuccessfulU, please select the Careers tile which
will take you to our internal career page.
For more information or assistance with the American University
careers site, email email@example.com .
American University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action
institution that operates in compliance with applicable laws and
regulations. The university does not discriminate on the basis of
race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy),
age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, personal
appearance, gender identity and expression, family
responsibilities, political affiliation, source of income, veteran
status, an individual’s genetic information or any other bases
under federal or local laws (collectively "Protected Bases") in its
programs and activities.
Nearest Major Market: