Cross Country & ½ Marathon Coach
- Pellissippi State Community College
- Tennessee, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Jan 11, 2023
- Position Type
- Faculty Positions, Health & Medicine, Kinesiology, Exercise Physiology & Physical Education, Administrative, Student Affairs, Athletics
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Title: Cross Country & ½ Marathon Coach
Pay Rate: 60% of $50,300 - $62,520.00/per year. Pay will be determined based on related work experience above required. To be considered in determining pay, all related work experience must be listed on the application.
Type of Appointment: Regular Part-Time
Number of Positions: 1
Division: Student Affairs
FLSA Status: Exempt
Required Documents Needed to Upload at Time of Application:
· Unofficial Transcripts
· Three Professional References (See below)
Reference check requirements:
Non-supervisory roles: three (3) current or former supervisors
· Personal references (friends, clergy, customers, relatives) are not considered acceptable references
Job Summary: The overall purpose of this job is to implement and lead a competitive men’s and women’s cross country and half marathon team to compete in TCCAA/NJCAA Division 2.
Cross country and half marathon Program Management
· Serve as men’s and women’s cross country and half marathon coach including recruiting, organization of practice, match scheduling, management of operating budget, and fundraising.
· Supervise the assistant men’s and women’s cross country and half marathon coach or coaches.
· Responsible for care and maintenance of men’s and women’s cross country and half marathon equipment used by the program
· Arranges officials for games
· Tracks records, and statistics for both team and individuals
· Work closely with the athletic director to schedule personal and team travel.
· Present for all games and scrimmages including traveling to away games
Student Athlete & Academic Management
· Monitor men’s and women’s cross country and half marathon student-athlete progress including class attendance, academic performance, personal adjustment and financial aid management
· Coordinate and monitor student study, athletic tutoring and classroom performance.
Work with student athletes to aid placement at the University level
Student Athlete Conduct
· Responsible for student conduct on the field of play
· Accountable for making sure all student athletes are following the latest sport rules and guidelines with a focus on sportsmanship
· Involved in the local cross country and half marathon community
· Promotes the Pellissippi cross country and half marathon programs in a positive manner in the local community
Note: The College reserves the right to change or reassign job duties, or combine positions at any time.
All employees are expected to engage in strategic institutional efforts related to diversity, equity, and inclusion of marginalized students.
Key Result Areas:
- Retention and graduation rates of student athletes.
- Overall win and loss records in competition.
- Roster growth and retention of student athletes
- Rules infractions incurred from TCCAA/NJCAA Organizations
Bachelor’s degree required
Years of Experience :
- Prefer at least two years of cross country and half marathon coaching at the college level
- Experience recruiting student athletes preferred
Part-time work experience is calculated at 50% of full-time experience.
Skills and Abilities:
- Exceptional communication skills
- Ability to relate to a diverse faculty, staff and student population.
- Knowledge in coaching cross country and half marathon skills and strategies.
- Ability to monitor players both academically and athletically.
- Good public relations skills.
- Must be willing to work a flexible schedule including some evening and weekend hours.
- Proficient in basic computer skills.
- Ability to engage in the colleges mission and values
Complexity & Creativity: The men’s and women’s cross country and half marathon coach will need to possess the ability to think critically, analytically, and creatively for this role. The decision making required of a cross country and half marathon coach will require them to utilize critical and analytical thinking to make practice and training plans, roster decisions, and meet decisions. The coach will need to also think creatively for the purposes of student athlete recruitment. The coach will need to utilize multiple departments on campus and maintain a social media presence for recruiting purposes.
Magnitude of Impact: The severity of the issue will determine the departments involved. The majority of issues would be handled and reported to the athletics director. Financial issues may be resolved in conjunction with the business office; however, more complex issues may need to be resolved at the Vice Presidential level through Administrative Affairs and Student Affairs. Violations of policy or regulations, or misconduct on the part of the coach, coaching staff, or student athletes may require intervention from multiple levels of the college ranging from the Athletics Director, Dean of Students, Vice President of Student Affairs, and/or the college President.
Responsibility for Accuracy: Accuracy is important to the day-to-day aspects of running the program. Developing an athletic schedule, planning travel, ordering goods and services to benefit the student athletes all require a high degree of accuracy for success. Any mistakes could result in loss of financial resources, missed/forfeited games, or loss of opportunity for students, etc.
Financial Impact: The men’s and women’s cross country and half marathon coach will mainly be responsible for maintaining travel expenses of the team. Irresponsible spending will need to be addressed by the athletics director.
Budgetary: The men’s and women’s cross country and half marathon coach will be the primary contact for making budgetary decisions for travel. The men’s and women’s cross country and half marathon coach will also be responsible for providing a list of equipment and program needs to the athletic director who will make the necessary decisions.
Judgement & Decisions: . The men’s and women’s cross country and half marathon coach will primarily be making decisions upon the schedule, equipment needs, roster management, and travel. Many of the budgetary decisions will need to be approved by the athletics director.
Nature of Contacts: The men’s and women’s cross country and half marathon coach will be responsible for maintaining contact with a number of folks outside of the college including; referees, area high school cross country and half marathon coaches, fellow head coaches in the conference, TCCAA/NJCAA conference officials, and area youth cross country and half marathon clubs/AAU cross country and half marathon organizations.
Physical Demands: The men’s and women’s cross country and half marathon coach may work in various locations including gymnasium, weight room, and outdoors. The men’s and women’s cross country and half marathon coach is required to perform work of an active nature, moving around locations requiring sufficient physical stamina to carry out duties. Requires ambulatory ability to lift medium-to-heavy weight materials, balance, and walk and stand for extended periods of time. Requires visual acuity to observe moving objects and recognize physical injuries. Requires auditory ability to project voice to a small group. Lift and move light to moderately heavy (less than 50 pounds) objects.
Hazards: The men’s and women’s cross country and half marathon coach is regularly exposed to outdoor weather conditions (cold, wet and humid) and/hot or humid gymnasium environment(s). The employee may be exposed to bloodborne pathogens.
Special Instructions to Applicants: To be considered for a position at Pellissippi State, you must create an on-line application. Your skills, abilities, qualifications, and years of experience will be evaluated using only what is recorded on your application. Work experience that is not listed on the application will not be considered towards compensation. Please note: attaching a resume does not substitute for completion of the application form. Part-time work experience is calculated at 50% of full-time experience. Please note: to scan, upload, or attach documents, a computer and scanner are available at the Hardin Valley Campus Educational Resources Center, if needed.
Pellissippi State Community College is an EEO/AA/Title VI/Title IX/Section 504/ADA employer
If you have any problems or questions please contact Human Resources at Pellissippi State Community College’s Human Resource Office at 865-694-6607 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org .
If you are interested in this position, click on the link to the left to apply.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert