Instructional Designer, UMOnline
- University of Montana
- Montana, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Jan 12, 2023
Application instructions are located at the bottom of the page. Please apply directly through the University of Montana's career portal UM Jobs at https://umjobs.silkroad.com/ for positions at the University of Montana – Missoula, University of Montana Western (Dillon), and Helena College. Do not apply through Indeed.com or use easy apply through Indeed.com *
UMOnline invites applications for Instructional Designer (ID) to serve as a key member of the instructional design team. The ID’s primary responsibility will be assisting instructors in developing online, blended and hybrid courses, and incorporating educational technologies in teaching and learning across the University of Montana. Additional opportunities may include working with external partners including those involved in professional development, employee training, and non-traditional educational environments. The ID should have a strong commitment to creating a vibrant and welcoming culture that recognizes, values, and respects diversity.
Position duties include, but are not limited to:
- Working with subject matter experts to create engaging and accessible learning activities and course content.
- Consultation and collaboration across teams, both internally and externally.
- Clarifying instructional outcomes and creating content and assessments that align with them.
- Creating supporting material/media (audio, video, simulations, role-plays, games, etc.) that is accessible and represents diverse perspectives.
- Provide training, consultation, and ongoing support of LMS to faculty and staff.
- Organize and maintain project management documentation.
- Remaining current with developments in the field of online design.
- Supporting instructional research and analysis on learners and contexts.
- Position is full-time, 1.0 FTE, Letter of Appointment and includes a comprehensive and competitive benefits package including Insurance package, mandatory retirement plan, partial tuition waiver, and wellness program.
- Salary for this position is $45,000-$55,000 per year commensurate with qualifications.
- Bachelor’s degree in Education, Media Arts, or related field and at least one (1) year of relevant experience (e.g. instructional design or technology, online education, adult learning, higher education) or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Working knowledge of instructional design theory and practice particularly in relation to delivering online/hybrid courses.
- Teaching or training experience.
- Experience in developing an online course.
- Experience creating ADA and 508 compliant content.
- Willing and able to learn new technologies quickly.
- Excellent presentation, oral and written communication, problem-solving, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work in a team environment as well as independently on projects, with minimal supervision.
- Must be self-motivated, manage multiple projects and able to work under time constraints to meet project deadlines.
- Ability to explain technical concepts in non-technical terms to staff and faculty.
- Ability to creatively translate abstract concepts into effective visual and interactive forms in a variety of media.
- Master’s degree in Education, Educational or Instructional Technology, Media Arts, or relevant field, certification in instructional design, or combination with teaching experience in higher education.
- Experience teaching in higher ed/training adult learners.
- Demonstrable experience in developing and teaching within a learning management system (i.e., Moodle).
- Experience with web-conferencing tools (e.g. Zoom, Adobe Connect, Connect or GoToMeeting), social media, mobile apps, Box/Google Drive tools, open educational resources (OER), and other emerging educational technologies.
- Experience with multi-media software, interactive video production (such as Adobe Creative Suite).
- Knowledge of HTML and web design principles.
- Experience with University of Montana policies and procedures, particularly in relation to online education.
About UMOnline and UM
UMOnline at the University of Montana promotes and supports excellence and innovation in online teaching and learning at the University of Montana by supporting the creation of quality online, blended and web-enhanced learning opportunities for students. Our high-quality programs and courses meet the needs of learners in the global century. Whether our students wish to earn a degree or certificate with UM's outstanding faculty and students, or just allow greater flexibility in scheduled options, many futures begin with UMOnline.
In addition to serving our students and providing phenomenal online and distance education for all, UMOnline strives to support faculty and staff in a variety of ways including; course design, data and market research, marketing, accessibility tools and content testing, program launch support, Moodle LMS resources and support, regulatory compliance and more.
The University of Montana is flagship, research-intensive R1 institution with approximately 10,000 undergraduate and graduate students. It is located in Missoula, a culturally vibrant community of about 75,000, surrounded by mountains and three rivers converge. Abundant recreational opportunities in surrounding state and national forests and nearby Glacier National Park and Yellowstone National Park complement a thriving intellectual atmosphere.
To learn more about the University of Montana, Missoula, and the State of Montana, please visit the links below.
- University of Montana
- City of Missoula
- The State of Montana
Must be eligible to work in the United State upon hire.
How to Apply
Priority Application Date: Sunday, February 12, 2023 by 11:59 PM (Mountain Time)
Complete applications received by this date will be guaranteed consideration. To receive full consideration, candidates are required to submit all of the following materials. Application will be open until position is filled.
Please submit the following application materials** via the UM Jobs portal and by clicking "New Resume/CV" button. Please do not apply through Indeed.com*.
A complete application Includes:
- Letter of Interest – addressing your qualifications and experience related to the stated required skills for the position. A general letter salutation such as “Dear Search Committee” or “Dear Hiring Manager” is acceptable.
- Detailed Resume – listing education and describing work experience.
- Professional References – names and contact information for three (3) professional references.
* Applying through Indeed.com or easy apply through Indeed.com may result in submission of an incomplete application. Applications may be removed from full consideration if they are not complete with materials listed above under the "How to Apply" section. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure complete application materials are submitted and received by the date listed above.
** Please note: only five (5) attachments are allowed per application. Please combine documents accordingly.
Job Location Missoula, Montana, United States
Position Type Full-Time/Regular
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert