Dean, Stiller School of Business
- Champlain College
- Vermont, United States
- Salary Not specified
- Posted Date
- Jan 11, 2023
- Position Type
- Administrative, Deans
- Employment Level
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Dean, Stiller School of Business
Champlain College is a professionally- and globally-focused institution with a long commitment to Business and Entrepreneurship. It has been named a "Most Innovative School" by US News and World Report for the last six years. We seek an academic leader who can carry this tradition forward and guide the Stiller School of Business' evolution as we build greater opportunities for students across the college. Champlain's current 2030 Re/Evolutionary Strategic Plan includes ambitious program development goals, new directions in STEAM fields in particular, and an emphasis on diversity, equity and inclusion. At this pivotal moment, we need a leader who can imagine how a Business school can support these efforts in innovative ways. Reporting to the Provost/Chief Academic Officer, the Dean inspires faculty excellence, ensures quality of academic programs and curriculum, models collaboration across the college, leads activities to increase student enrollment and retention, engages with internal and external stakeholders to raise the profile of the Stiller School, and helps raise funds for the continued growth of the school's initiatives and programs. The Dean serves as the leading advocate of the Stiller students, faculty, and programs, to the College, business community and other external constituencies.
Our next Dean will be:
- Entrepreneurial as Stiller enters a new "start-up" phase of its re/evolution in alignment with evolving global contexts.
- Fluent and adept at change management and building culture.
- Committed to promoting diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging in all our work.
- A leader and guide able to mentor new faculty who may or may not have had experience teaching.
- Experienced building strong entrepreneur programs - as we rebuild and grow the Center for Innovation and Entrepreneurship.
- A great "marketing and salesperson" able to:
- Pitch to prospective families building upon our renewed marketing efforts.
- Engage and build upon our very strong Advisory Council and our Hula relationship.
The ideal candidate holds an MBA or PhD and an understanding of contemporary higher education. We're looking for evidence of strong leadership and administrative/management skills. A strong track record of entrepreneurial success distinguishes you from others who may apply.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
- Serve as a strategic institutional leader who sets the direction for implementation of the College's "2030 Re/Evolutionary Strategic Plan."
- Collaboratively refine Stiller's vision and identity to enhance its reputation as a leading, innovative School for purposeful business education in the Northeast.
- Prioritize strength based leadership and the principles and actions supporting diversity, equity, inclusion, justice, and belonging within the College and in business education.
- Recruit, retain and engage faculty to fulfill the mission of an unrivaled and career forward business education.
- Promote and facilitate best-in-class curricular innovation practices, transformative student experiences and local and global partnerships.
- Facilitate the creation of a faculty-supported curricular philosophy and framework that embeds the teaching of responsible management education and will guide future decisions on majors, minors, new programs, and new courses.
- Reinforce ethical business and teaching practices and student engagement with the Stiller's "12 Competencies."
- Build and nurture relationships with the Burlington area, Vermont statewide, and the global business community and alumni to enhance opportunities for student internships and jobs.
- Coordinate with the Office of Advancement to network with business and community leaders and foundations to lay the groundwork for future fundraising.
- Participate in seeking, developing, and managing external grants that promote strategic learning objectives of the School.
- Provide leadership for the process of pursuing and maintaining ACBSP accreditation.
- Ensure academic quality through faculty evaluation, program reviews and curricular development..
- Collaborate with faculty and staff to determine annual budget needs and priorities, prepare and oversee Stiller budget, and maintain fiscal integrity of the budget.
- Provide leadership for assistant deans / chairs as they recruit, document, and hire part-time faculty and ensure compliance with the adjunct faculty's collective bargaining agreement.
- Oversee the evaluation of adjunct faculty members per the union contract.
- Ensure Stiller is compliant with the legal, regulatory, contractual, and procedural requirements (including recurring reports) required by Academic Affairs.
- Collaborate with faculty, community members, and the Dean's Advisory Council to assess specific program needs and establish academic and curriculum standards.
- Oversee the financial management of the Stiller budget.
- Develop, interpret and administer academic policies for Stiller students.
- Negotiate faculty contracts.
- Standard office hours of roughly 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM; attendance at evening and weekend events is often required.
- Periodic off-campus, local, state, regional, and overseas travel is required.
- Extensive use of email, telephone, and face-to-face meetings.
Education: Advanced degree in a relevant field; doctorate preferred.
Experience: Administrative and leadership experience and an outstanding portfolio of teaching, applied management experience, and service.
Skills: Strong administrative capabilities, sound judgment, attention to detail and effective communication skills.Deep knowledge and expertise in principles of curriculum design, teaching pedagogies, and learning assessment. Ability to inspire, mentor, and support students and faculty.
Personal Qualities: Ethical, entrepreneurial, collaborative, socially perceptive, confident, authentic, empathetic, optimistic, sense of humor, transparent, resilient.
Physical / Mental Abilities: The dean must have the physical and mental abilities needed to perform all essential tasks listed; reasonable accommodations may be made to help the job holder to perform essential tasks.
The successful completion of a criminal background check is required as a condition of employment.
Champlain College does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, national origin, place of birth, ancestry, religion, age, sexual orientation, sex, gender identity, veteran or military service status, HIV -positive status, qualified disability, or on the basis of any other status protected by law, and does not discriminate in the administration of its education and admission policies, scholarship and loan programs, employment practices or co-curricular and other College-administered programs. Champlain College will make reasonable accommodations for otherwise qualified students, applicants for admission or employment, or employees. Please contact the People Center at 802.651.5800 with questions concerning the hiring process or future employment at Champlain College, or if auxiliary aids or services are needed to apply for employment at Champlain College.
Champlain College is committed to fostering an inclusive and diverse community. Recognizing that diversity is both a reflection of our world and a source of rich education, Champlain strives to be diverse and inclusive in ways that reflect the world in which we live and work. All members of the Champlain community are valued as individuals.
Application materials must include a resume/CV and a letter of interest (Cover Letter) specifically addressing the desired qualifications. The College seeks candidates who, through their work and life experiences, service to the community, teaching or research can contribute to the diversity, inclusivity and academic excellence of Champlain College. Please include information about how you would contribute to these efforts and help to further this goal in your letter of interest/cover letter.
EU Employee Data Protection Notice:
To apply, visit https://champlain.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=155643&CNTRNO=9&TSTMP=0
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert