Skilled HVAC Mechanic
- Oakton Community College
- Illinois, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Dec 20, 2022
- Position Type
- Faculty Positions, Professional Fields, Vocational & Technical Fields, Administrative, Business & Administrative Affairs, Facilities Management & Physical Plant
- Employment Type
- Full Time
About Oakton College :
For over 50 years, Oakton College has been the setting where thousands begin or continue their college or career studies. Educating people of all ages, from all walks of life and from more than 40 nations, Oakton focuses on improving the quality of life for everyone who enters its doors.
Paid winter break
FRIDAYS OFF during the summer
Basic Function and Responsibilities:
Under general supervision, utilize independent judgment to construct, alter, install and repair heating, air conditioning and ventilation systems, fire protection. Ability to respond to other building structures and/or systems including electrical, pipe fitting, building automation systems and other related areas of skilled maintenance technology. Exercise independent judgment based on job knowledge and training to complete tasks.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform routine preventative maintenance and repairs on heating, ventilating, refrigeration and air conditioning systems, pneumatic and digital controls, hot and chilled water distribution, variable volume systems, chillers, boilers, motors, pumps, air handling units, roof top units.
- Occasionally participate in the remodel, construction, renovation and renewal of campus buildings providing expert knowledge to produce most efficient technical results.
- Assist in the completion of new construction and design, specify, install and maintain equipment to produce desired end results.
- Assist in instructing and training unskilled employees in safe, effective methods of performing task in the assigned maintenance function.
- In collaboration with HVAC Chief, determine and evaluate safe and most economical solution of specific maintenance problems.
- Ensures proper care in the use and maintenance of equipment and supplies.
- Perform snow removal as backup in emergency situations and perform special work assignments or clean ups as directed.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Working Conditions:
- Journeyman (Bachelor's Degree Equivalent) achievement in Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning.
- 5-year experience in Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning & Refrigeration.
- Ability to perform routine preventative maintenance and repairs on commercial heating, ventilating, walk-in refrigerators/freezers and air conditioning systems, pneumatic and digital controls, hot and chilled water distribution, variable volume systems, chillers, boilers, motors, pumps, air handling units, roof top units.
- Ability to operate building automation system, pneumatic and digital controls, variable frequency drive controls.
- Ability to perform major component replacement and evaluation of complex system problems.
- Ability to read, interpret and follow mechanical blueprints, schematics, specifications and other technical documents related to the installation, maintenance, repair of HVAC systems.
- Ability to troubleshoot fire alarm and fire suppression systems.
- Ability to weld, solder, braze and connect supply lines, air ducts and vents, refrigeration piping and pumps.
- Ability to react quickly and to analyze known data or symptoms of a problem and arrive at a logical solution.
- Ability to use hand and power tools applicable to trade.
- Ability to document and track preventative maintenance activities.
- EPA 608 Certification preferred.
Position will require employees to have:
- The ability to stand, walk and move for extended periods of time (Often - 75% - 100%).
- The ability to detect dirt, dust, stains and marks. (Often 75% to 100%).
- The ability to bend, twist, stoop, kneel, crawl, push, pull, and reach in all directions (Often - 75% - 100%).
- The ability to lift and carry 50 lbs. (Often 75% - 100%).
- The ability to perform moderate to strenuous physical labor for extended periods of time. (Often 75% - 100%).
- The ability to set up and operate mechanical cleaning equipment (Occasional 50% to 75%).
- The ability to work at heights and the ability to ascend/descend ladders (Seldom - 0% - 25%).
- Some shifts will require the use of radio communication. Employees on these shifts, using these devices, will be required to have the ability to hear and exchange information clearly.
- Job duties may be performed in hot, dusty, dirty environments. Employees may be exposed to fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals and outside weather conditions.
Functional Supervision is received from the HVAC Chief. Administrative Supervision received from the Director of Facilities
Functional Supervision is exercised over General Maintenance Personnel.
HOURS: Monday - Friday 6:00 am - 2:30 pm
For further details, visit our website at www.oakton.edu and select the Employment link to view Employment Opportunities.
Please be sure to have a current resume, cover letter, and list of, at least, three (3) professional references with contact information prepared to submit with your application.
Oakton College is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution, committed to employing competent, qualified individuals. Oakton College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, disability, age, marital status, military status, socioeconomic status, sex or gender, gender identity, or sexual orientation in admission to and participation in its educational programs, college activities and services, or in its employment practices.
Posted positions may be removed from the Oakton website without notice when it is determined that no additional applicants are required.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert