- Rice University
- Texas, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Jan 9, 2023
- Position Type
- Administrative, Business & Administrative Affairs, Facilities Management & Physical Plant, Auxiliary Services, Food Services Management, Executive, Executive Directors
- Employment Level
- Employment Type
- Full Time
The executive chef guides departmental culinary efforts, serves as a member of the management team and works collaboratively with other management team members to direct the dining service program, implement/operate an inventory management system and a menu management system.
The executive chef also plans and prepares a wide variety of foods, supports the preparation of food products within a servery, directs and guides all cooking staff in the proper methods of food preparation, cooking, portion control, sanitation, creates recipes and menus, upgrades menu files, manages food and labor costs, advises managers of dining trends and issues in the marketplace.
The executive chef handles all aspects of culinary staff management, including conducting interviews, orientations, overseeing training of new staff, cross-training existing staff, maintaining staff scheduling and partnering with temporary staff agencies
The ideal candidate is comfortable working in a fast-paced environment managing multiple tasks and has strong verbal and written communication skills as well as attention to detail.
- Plans and prepares a wide variety of foods, directs the preparation of the foods in a servery
- Supervises a managing chef, sous chefs, pastry chef and approximately 25 production staff; participates in meetings with cooks, management team and storeroom clerk
- Handles all aspects of culinary staff management including: interviews, orientations, oversees training of new staff and cross-training of existing staff, conducts annual employee performance evaluations, plans and schedules production and labor
- Maintains unit in full compliance with City Health Code, guides cooking staff in the proper methods of sanitation and safety providing staff health code training
- Directs and guides all cooking staff in the proper methods of food preparation, cooking, portion control and sanitation
- Create recipes, menus and upgrades menu files
- Manages inventory rotation and utilization of products
- Manages assigned budget within given guidelines
- Completes monthly food and supply inventories, orders food and beverage products, makes suggestions for menu pricing, recommends and implements cost saving measures
- Serves as a representative of the University, displaying courtesy, tact, consideration and discretion in all interactions with other members of the Rice community and the public
- Performs all other duties as assigned
- Associate’s degree (culinary arts from an ACF-accredited program preferred)
- Five years of experience in kitchen supervision of production and staff
- Experience in managing all aspects of a food operation including: food preparation, staff recruiting, training, staff recognition, staff retention, sanitation, safety standard, managing staff performance and team building
- Certified Food Manager’s Permit as issued by the City of Houston Health Department or the ability to obtain within 30 days of employment
- No substitutions for education or experience allowed
- Must be customer service oriented
- Must be able to communicate effectively verbally and in writing and be organized
- Must be proficient in cooking techniques, food and menu preparation and presentation
- Must be able to plan and prepare meals, forecast, assess cost, order food and supplies for large groups
- Must be able to foster teamwork, train, supervise and direct the work of staff and student staff members
- Must be able to manage several venues concurrently
- Must have basic computer skills
- Bachelor's degree from a recognized culinary school
- Ten or more years of experience in a culinary environment
- Five years of full-time work experience as an executive chef encompassing all types of food preparation techniques preferably in a large, high volume commercial restaurant, hotel or institution of higher education
- Experience working with catering and baking operations
- Knowledge of food service computer applications
- Certified Chef de Cuisine® (CCC®) or Certified Executive Chef® (CEC®) by the ACF
MEDIUM – Exert up to 50 lbs. of force occasionally. Requires walking or standing up to 8 hours per day. Other physical requirements of the job include manual dexterity and the ability to see, hear, reach, climb and balance. Must be able to detect scents and discern flavors.
Work environment is a commercial kitchen and includes exposure to temperature extremes. Work hazards include exposure to chemicals, wet floors, dangerous equipment (fryers, dough sheeter, tortilla machine, stoves, ovens, knives, slicers, etc.), hot oil, steam and water.
Weekly schedule will vary and will include working evenings, weekends and holidays - Must be available to work any shift required.
This position is considered essential during a campus emergency. The incumbent in this position is expected to report to campus, provide the essential services designated and work under the overall direction of the Crisis Management Team for the duration of a campus emergency.
Rice University HR | Benefits
Rice Mission and Values
Mission and Values | Rice University
Rice University is an Equal Opportunity Employer with commitment to diversity at all levels, and considers for employment qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, genetic information, disability or protected veteran status.
Current Rice University COVID policies, which include vaccination, face mask, testing, gatherings, occupancy limits, and travel policies can be found here: https://coronavirus.rice.edu/policies
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert