Assistant Professor of Accounting (Tenure-Track)
- College of Saint Benedict and Saint John's University
- Saint Joseph, Minnesota
- Posted Date
- Jan 6, 2023
- Position Type
- Faculty Positions, Business & Management, Accounting & Finance
- Employment Level
- Tenured/Tenured Track
- Employment Type
- Full Time
The Department of Accounting and Finance at the College of Saint Benedict and Saint John's University (CSB and SJU) invites applications for a tenure-track, full-time appointment as Assistant Professor of Accounting to begin in August 2023.
The CSB and SJU accounting and finance program is one of the strongest in Minnesota, particularly in a liberal arts setting. The department is comprised of nine full-time faculty dedicated to close working relationships with students to enhance not only student academic learning but overall student development. Our employment rates and our students’ CPA pass rates are consistently well above both state and national averages.
Our community consists of the College of Saint Benedict (CSB), a liberal arts college for women; Saint John’s University (SJU), a liberal arts college for men; a graduate School of Theology; and graduate Nursing programs for both men and women. The campuses are located in the central lakes area of Minnesota, surrounded by more than 3,000 acres of pristine forests, prairies, and lakes. The campuses are minutes away from the St. Cloud area, an increasingly diverse regional center with a population of more than 100,000, and 70 miles from Minneapolis and St. Paul. Some CSB and SJU faculty and staff choose to reside locally, while others commute from the Twin Cities. Both St. Cloud and the Twin Cities offer a wide range of fine arts, cultural, dining, recreational, and sporting opportunities.
CSB and SJU are Catholic colleges in the Benedictine tradition enlivened by values of community, hospitality, stewardship, and justice. The schools are dedicated to cultivating an equitable, inclusive community founded on respect for all persons. Students, staff, and faculty from many diverse belief systems and backgrounds collectively bring a rich dimension to the academic, cultural, and religious experience at CSB and SJU. We welcome faculty who devote themselves with passion and integrity to their disciplines and to a transformative education of their students. Learn more in our Institutional Statement on Diversity and in our brochure regarding Higher Education in the Catholic and Benedictine Tradition.
With a total enrollment of approximately 3,000 students, faculty members develop relationships with students in small classroom settings and have opportunities to work closely with students on research projects, experiential learning experiences, and study abroad programs. Recent initiatives to create a dynamic general education curriculum and a new teaching and learning center demonstrate strong institutional support for faculty development. CSB and SJU are unique in all of higher education, distinguished by their commitment to the holistic transformational development of women and men within the context of a unified, coeducational experience. All students, faculty, and staff have the opportunity to experience and engage with the two institutions. For further information, see http://www.csbsju.edu/about.
CSB and SJU offer competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits program.
Institutional Commitment to Diversity
The College of Saint Benedict and Saint John's University believe that an excellent liberal arts education requires an understanding and appreciation of cultural difference. Please view our Institutional Statement on Diversity.
The successful candidate will teach 12 credits each semester that cover a variety of lower division and upper division accounting topics. Other responsibilities include student advising; service to our students, the department, and the institutions; and pursuit of a strong scholarly trajectory.
- Master's degree or doctorate degree in accounting or a closely related field (e.g., MBA, MBT, etc.). ABDs are welcome to apply
- Ability to teach effectively at the undergraduate level
- Effective verbal and written communication and presentation skills
- Ability and interest in teaching several accounting courses offered by the Department of Accounting & Finance
- Commitment to equity, inclusion, and diversity in teaching and working with students and colleagues from diverse backgrounds
- Commitment to undergraduate education in a liberal arts environment
- Ability and interest in advising students
- Ability and interest in serving students, the department, and the institutions
- A commitment to a strong scholarly trajectory and integrating research into pedagogy
- Ability and interest in teaching courses in Accounting Information Systems and/or Taxation
- Hold a CPA license in good standing (either active or inactive). Not needed for those with a doctorate or ABD.
Please go to our webpage to apply, https://www.schooljobs.com/careers/csbsju/jobs/3859988/assistant-professor-of-accounting-tenure-track. Applications are accepted online by clicking on "Apply" above. Review of applications will begin on January 23, 2022. Applicants are asked to provide ALL the following materials, and omission of any of the following may negatively impact a candidate’s application:
- Cover letter addressing your interest and qualifications for this undergraduate teaching position, including accounting courses you prefer to teach. Include discussion of your interest in research and how it will integrate with your teaching
- Statement of teaching philosophy
- Discuss your approach to teaching and pedagogies you will use
- Discuss your commitment to teaching and working with students from diverse backgrounds, or include a separate DEIJ Statement
- Curriculum vitae
- Copy of graduate transcripts (official transcripts required upon hire)
- Contact information (phone and email) for three references. Please include at least one reference who can discuss your likely ability to effectively teach undergraduate students
- Evidence of teaching effectiveness, such as faculty observations, student surveys, or professional training evaluations, if available.
Inquiries related to the position should be directed toward the hiring committee chair, Boz Bostrom, Professor of Accounting and Finance (email@example.com).
If you require special accommodations to participate in the College of Saint Benedict/Saint John's University hiring process, please contact us at (320) 363-5500 or firstname.lastname@example.org .
It is the policy of CSB and SJU to conduct pre-employment background checks. An offer of employment is contingent upon a successful background check.
The College of Saint Benedict and Saint John's University are Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employers.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert