Purpose: The Assistant Controller provides oversight and support
for the daily financial activities of the department, including
preparation of the financial statements, reporting, general ledger
management functions and assistance with tax reporting and
- Provide oversight and direction for staff performing financial
accounting and financial reporting responsibilities, including
consolidated financial reporting for internal and external purposes
and oversight of related financial systems
- Provide leadership in functional areas by directing, training,
and motivating staff in the evaluation and processing of documents
and the collection, preparation, analysis and distribution of
complete, accurate and timely financial information in accordance
with FASB accounting guidance and standards (GAAP).
- Manage monthly closing and reporting process, including the
creation of management reports.
- Manage the chart of accounts and participate in design and
documentation of financial reporting automated workflows.
- Review quarterly endowment activity, including market value and
monthly reconciliations, and spend rate calculations. Oversee
process of investment deposits and draws based on annual spend
budgets and endowment activity.
- Interprets, monitors, and applies policies, regulations and
donor restrictions as related to gift/grants processing and
- Assist with the development, implementation, and maintenance of
appropriate policies and procedures, and internal controls for
Business Services, as well as other College departments performing
financial tasks (e.g. Advancement, Financial Aid).
- Reconcile more complex bank/investment statements and general
ledger activity on a monthly basis. Review and approve journal
entries and reconciliations prepared by the Accounting staff.
- Prepare the annual financial statements, including footnotes,
for review by the Controller.
- Coordinate the Colleges annual financial audit, single audit,
and NCAA audit (agreed upon procedures).
- Oversee the annual preparation of the IPEDS report, Schedule of
Expenditures and Federal Awards, Data Collection Form for the
Single Audit and other annual surveys as needed.
- Assist with preparation of Forms 990, 990T for all College and
related entities. Additional tax compliance responsibility as
assigned (non-resident alien reporting, sales and use tax, property
tax returns, etc.)
- Responsible for staffing decisions including supervising,
evaluating and training staff positions.
- Occasional evening or weekend hours during peak processing
- Occasional travel to attend training or conferences
Non Discrimination Statement
- Bachelors Degree required, preferably in accounting or
- Masters degree and/or CPA preferred.
- Minimum 5 years experience in accounting or finance field with
- Higher education experience or not-for-profit experience
- Possess solid general computer skills, including the ability to
work in a Windows environment.
- Proficiency in Excel including pivot tables, etc. desired.
- Familiarity with specific applications used by the colleges and
universities a plus.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Solid analytical, decision making, and problem-solving
- Proven ability to complete projects on time and within
- Able to function independently while operating effectively
within a team environment.
- Cultural competency to work with diverse student and/or
Flagler College provides equal employment opportunities to all
employees and applicants for employment without regard to race,
color, gender, religion, national origin, age, disability, marital
status, familial status, sexual orientation, gender identity or
expression, or any other protected characteristic. In addition to
federal law requirements, Flagler College complies with applicable
state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in
every location in which the College has facilities. This policy
applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including
recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff,
recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and
Inquiries regarding discrimination on the basis of sex and gender
may be referred to the Title IX Coordinator, to the Assistant
Secretary for Civil Rights at the United States Department of
Education Office for Civil Rights (OCR), or both. Contact
information for the above referenced Title IX Coordinator and OCR,
as well as the Colleges Sexual Harassment Policy can be found here: