- Flagler College
- Florida, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Jan 6, 2023
Purpose: The Assistant Controller provides oversight and support for the daily financial activities of the department, including preparation of the financial statements, reporting, general ledger management functions and assistance with tax reporting and compliance.
- Provide oversight and direction for staff performing financial accounting and financial reporting responsibilities, including consolidated financial reporting for internal and external purposes and oversight of related financial systems
- Provide leadership in functional areas by directing, training, and motivating staff in the evaluation and processing of documents and the collection, preparation, analysis and distribution of complete, accurate and timely financial information in accordance with FASB accounting guidance and standards (GAAP).
- Manage monthly closing and reporting process, including the creation of management reports.
- Manage the chart of accounts and participate in design and documentation of financial reporting automated workflows.
- Review quarterly endowment activity, including market value and monthly reconciliations, and spend rate calculations. Oversee process of investment deposits and draws based on annual spend budgets and endowment activity.
- Interprets, monitors, and applies policies, regulations and donor restrictions as related to gift/grants processing and reporting.
- Assist with the development, implementation, and maintenance of appropriate policies and procedures, and internal controls for Business Services, as well as other College departments performing financial tasks (e.g. Advancement, Financial Aid).
- Reconcile more complex bank/investment statements and general ledger activity on a monthly basis. Review and approve journal entries and reconciliations prepared by the Accounting staff.
- Prepare the annual financial statements, including footnotes, for review by the Controller.
- Coordinate the Colleges annual financial audit, single audit, and NCAA audit (agreed upon procedures).
- Oversee the annual preparation of the IPEDS report, Schedule of Expenditures and Federal Awards, Data Collection Form for the Single Audit and other annual surveys as needed.
- Assist with preparation of Forms 990, 990T for all College and related entities. Additional tax compliance responsibility as assigned (non-resident alien reporting, sales and use tax, property tax returns, etc.)
- Responsible for staffing decisions including supervising, evaluating and training staff positions.
- Occasional evening or weekend hours during peak processing times
- Occasional travel to attend training or conferences
- Bachelors Degree required, preferably in accounting or finance.
- Masters degree and/or CPA preferred.
- Minimum 5 years experience in accounting or finance field with supervisory responsibilities.
- Higher education experience or not-for-profit experience preferred.
- Possess solid general computer skills, including the ability to work in a Windows environment.
- Proficiency in Excel including pivot tables, etc. desired.
- Familiarity with specific applications used by the colleges and universities a plus.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Solid analytical, decision making, and problem-solving skills.
- Proven ability to complete projects on time and within budget.
- Able to function independently while operating effectively within a team environment.
- Cultural competency to work with diverse student and/or employee population.
Flagler College provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, gender, religion, national origin, age, disability, marital status, familial status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other protected characteristic. In addition to federal law requirements, Flagler College complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the College has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Inquiries regarding discrimination on the basis of sex and gender may be referred to the Title IX Coordinator, to the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights at the United States Department of Education Office for Civil Rights (OCR), or both. Contact information for the above referenced Title IX Coordinator and OCR, as well as the Colleges Sexual Harassment Policy can be found here: www.flagler.edu/title-ix .
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert