Manager of Building Engagement and Operations
- Dartmouth College
- New Hampshire, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Jan 6, 2023
- Position Type
- Administrative, Business & Administrative Affairs, Other Business & Administrative Affairs, Facilities Management & Physical Plant
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Open Until Filled
Manager of Building Engagement and Operations
Department this Position Reports to
The Arthur L. Irving Institute for Energy and Society
Hiring Range Minimum
Hiring Range Maximum
Not an SEIU Position
Regular Full Time
Scheduled Months per Year
Scheduled Hours per Week
Location of Position
Remote Work Eligibility?
Is this a term position?
If yes, length of term in months.
Is this a grant funded position?
The Manager of Building Engagement and Operations for the Arthur L. Irving Institute for Energy and Society will oversee the daily operations and maintenance of the Irving Institute building, as well as overall building animation and engagement activities. Reporting to the Executive Director, the Manager will liaise with Irving Institute staff and building residents to know and understand the nature of research, education, and other activities resident within the building. They will maintain up-to-date knowledge of the mission of the Institute and the physical, operational, and mechanical systems and performance of the building. In consultation with Institute programmatic staff, they will coordinate education and engagement activities including the Building Ambassador’s student program and the Energy Kiosk. The Manager will coordinate with Dartmouth partners and external contractors; oversee maintenance needs and custodial and security activities; and ensure the facility always looks and functions at its best.
Required Qualifications - Education and Yrs Exp
Bachelors plus 3-5 years' experience or equivalent combination of education and experience
Required Qualifications - Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- Experience overseeing facilities and operations in a complex organization.
- Knowledge of green building design standards, energy efficiency and renewable energy systems
- Demonstrated skill in project management and in leading and evaluating the work of staff and contractors.
- Strong communication skills and customer service focus, and the ability to build consensus among various constituents with diverse interests and manage service expectations with senior cross-functional stakeholders.
- Interest in energy and the mission of the Irving Institute.
- Able to support, contribute to, and strengthen a vibrant, culturally diverse, and inclusive learning community of students, alumni, faculty, and fellow professionals.
- Able to collaborate effectively with colleagues across Thayer, Tuck and Dartmouth to achieve shared goals and objectives.
- Able to proactively identify and pursue relevant learning and professional development opportunities and apply new knowledge, insights, and skills to enhance results.
- Commitment to diversity and to serving the needs of a diverse community.
Department Contact for Recruitment Inquiries
Department Contact for Cover Letter and Title
April Salas, Executive Director
Equal Opportunity Employer
Dartmouth College is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion. We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, veteran status, marital status, or any other legally protected status. Applications by members of all underrepresented groups are encouraged.
Employment in this position is contingent upon consent to and successful completion of a pre-employment background check, which may include a criminal background check, reference checks, verification of work history, and verification of any required academic credentials, licenses, and/or certifications, with results acceptable to Dartmouth College. A criminal conviction will not automatically disqualify an applicant from employment. Background check information will be used in a confidential, non-discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal law.
Is driving a vehicle (e.g. Dartmouth vehicle or off road vehicle, rental car, personal car) an essential function of this job?
Preferred, but not required
Special Instructions to Applicants
All Dartmouth College employees, whether working on-site or remotely, are required to be up to date with vaccination against COVID -19 (or to have received an approved exemption from vaccination through the Office of Institutional Diversity and Equity). Please visit https://dartgo.org/vaxpolicy for details. Compliance with this requirement is a condition of employment. Failure to meet this condition of employment within the first 30 days may result in Dartmouth in its sole discretion ending employment.
Dartmouth College has a Tobacco-Free Policy. Smoking and the use of tobacco-based products (including smokeless tobacco) are prohibited in all facilities, grounds, vehicles or other areas owned, operated or occupied by Dartmouth College with no exceptions. For details, please see our policy. https://policies.dartmouth.edu/policy/tobacco-free-policy
Building Engagement and Use - Manages and leads building animation activities and building systems educational programs. Coordinates with building residents as needed regarding activation of the building.
- Works with faculty, students, staff and external collaborators to activate and enliven the building with art, exhibits and displays, and other interactive activities.
- Oversees the use of space and space planning, office moves and location for faculty and staff, ensuring necessary lease agreements are completed and work environments are ergonomically correct and compliant with ADA regulations and codes.
- Oversees and approves requests for events, programming and use of space in the building for other activities.
- Manages hiring, supervising and coaching members of the Student Building Ambassador interns, overseeing their training and promoting continuous learning and engagement.
Facilities Planning and Operations Management – Provides broad oversight of the daily operations and oversees the construction, maintenance, repair, safety, emergency preparedness, and custodial services of the Irving Institute building (approximately 55,000 square feet).
- Serves as Irving Institute’s primary contact and liaison for facilities with other Dartmouth operating units, such as Thayer Facilities, FO&M, PDC, Safety and Security, Environmental Health and Safety, IT, Risk and Internal Controls, and Real Estate.
- Represents Irving on Dartmouth’s Emergency Planning Group and oversees the Institute’s emergency preparedness. Serves as the Institute’s Chief Safety Officer.
- Manages day to day operations And ensures the building is always in the best condition.
Demonstrates a commitment to diversity, inclusion, and cultural awareness through actions, interactions, and communications with others.
Performs other duties as assigned.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Talent Acquisition Consultant
- American Library Association
- Chronicle of Higher Education
- Chronicle of Philanthropy
- Dartmouth College Employment Website
- Internal Employee Referral (Please specify full name below)
- Higher Ed Jobs
- Inside Higher Ed Jobs
- National Black MBA Association
- Recruit Military
- Valley News
- Other (Please specify below)
- If you answered, 'Internal Employee Referral' or 'Other' to the
above question, please specify here:
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert