Social Media Specialist
- Rice University
- Texas, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Jan 5, 2023
Special instructions to applicants :
Applicants are required to submit a cover letter, resume and samples of previous work. The cover letter and resume may be saved as one PDF and samples of previous work saved on another PDF, submitted under the supporting documents section. Links to samples of previous work are also acceptable.
The Public Affairs team is seeking a social media specialist. Using a unified brand and communications strategy, the social media specialist will plan, produce and publish content that promotes Rice on social media platforms and support marketing campaigns to raise awareness and support for the university. The social media specialist serves as the primary staff member responsible for content creation and the monitoring and maintaining of Rice’s social media platforms. The position tracks metrics, identifies trends, recommends responses and devises social media strategy to address assigned topics. The social media specialist works with the internal creative teams to develop tactics to support social media initiatives in the Office of Public Affairs, as well as with communications teams across the campus to ensure alignment.
Commensurate with Experience and Qualifications
- Serves as the primary staff member responsible for establishing, developing, monitoring and maintaining Rice’s social media presence.
- Writes copy, designs and coordinates the production of social media communication content; participates in online social media conversations.
- Identifies high priority or sensitive social media conversations; makes recommendations on how to address issues.
- Develops integrated social media communication plans to meet objectives.
- Builds digital communities through social media channels and grows and engages user base.
- Manages social listening efforts and reports back to management, especially in crisis communication scenarios.
- Collaborates with Public Affairs teams (news, video, web) to develop social content.
- Provides customer service to constituents across digital channels.
- Compiles data, analyzes and reports on social media efforts.
- Acts as internal advocate for social media community efforts, builds support for social initiatives among internal stakeholders and drives best practices.
- Manages overall development and refinement of social media strategy and innovative approach to content.
- Monitors trends and develops relevant content.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor degree
- Two (2) years of professional experience in a marketing communications team working with social media content, media relations and web teams.
- Proven knowledge of social media/digital platforms.
- Familiar with digital media technology and current and future trends.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Organized, creative and able to take direction and work to meet expected deadlines and schedules.
- Demonstrated team player.
- Knowledge of and proficiency with Associated Press (AP) style.
- Bachelor's degree or higher in English, journalism, marketing or related communication fields.
- Experience in nonprofit, higher education or consumer-facing digital marketing.
- Experience with digital media creation, analytics and data tracking is a plus.
Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on campus, with occasional evenings or weekend work to deal with emerging issues and meet deadlines.
Essential personnel: This position is considered essential during a campus emergency. The incumbent in this position is expected to support the campus during emergency situations and may be required to provide related essential services remotely or on site before, during or after a campus emergency.
Rice University HR | Benefits
Rice Mission and Values
Mission and Values | Rice University
Rice University is an Equal Opportunity Employer with commitment to diversity at all levels, and considers for employment qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, genetic information, disability or protected veteran status.
Current Rice University COVID policies, which include vaccination, face mask, testing, gatherings, occupancy limits, and travel policies can be found here: https://coronavirus.rice.edu/policies
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert