Maintenance Plumber, Facilities Services
- University of Montana
- Montana, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Jan 6, 2023
- Position Type
- Faculty Positions, Professional Fields, Vocational & Technical Fields, Administrative, Business & Administrative Affairs, Facilities Management & Physical Plant
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Application instructions are located at the bottom of the page. Please apply directly through the University of Montana's career portal UM Jobs at https://umjobs.silkroad.com/ for positions at the University of Montana – Missoula, University of Montana Western (Dillon), and Helena College. Do not apply through Indeed.com or use easy apply through Indeed.com * .
Facilities Services invites applications for a Maintenance Plumber with good knowledge of the methods, materials, practices, equipment machines and techniques used in the trade of plumbing. This position requires the individual to have the ability to follow oral and written instructions, work from drawings, blueprints and sketches to assess material and equipment needs and possess the knowledge and practice of safety rules related to the trade. The maintenance plumber will also be expected to work independently and efficiently in difficult situations.
- Must have a valid State of Montana plumbing license (include a copy of a valid State of Montana plumbing license with application).
- Must possess, or be able to obtain, a valid Montana driver’s license.
- Experience in the standard practices, methods, and processes in the use of materials, tools, and equipment of the trade.
- Ability to install and maintain drain, waste and vent plumbing systems, water piping, plumbing fixtures, water-using appliances and equipment, water mains, sewer mains, storm drains, gas lines and gas-using appliances.
- Ability to install and repair, pipe assemblies, fittings, valves, appliances such as dishwashers and water heaters, and fixtures such as sinks and toilets, using hand and power tools, underground storm, sanitary and water piping systems and extend piping to connect fixtures and plumbing to these systems.
- Ability to assemble pipe sections, tubing and fittings, using couplings, clamps, screws, bolts, cement, plastic solvent, caulking, soldering, and brazing in all types of plumbing systems including threaded, brass, copper, pex, PVC, and cast iron.
- Ability to use plumbing and pipefitting hand and power tools (i.e., drills, saws, wrenches, grinders, threading machines, hoists, core drilling and sewer machines).
- Ability to Measure, cut, thread, and bend pipe to required angle, using hand and power tools or machines such as pipe cutters, pipe-threading machines, and pipe-bending machines.
- Ability and skill to communicate clearly and effectively with Foreman, other crafts people, work order desk, the campus community and public.
- Ability to receive written and verbal requests.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions, work from drawings, blueprints and sketches.
- Knowledge of safety rules and procedures related to the trade and abide by all OSHA safety.
(Qualified candidates must be able to meet minimum requirements and perform the primary functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.)
- Lifting: Ground to 60 inches, up to 55#. Ground to overhead, up to 50#.
- Carrying: Front carry up to 75# for 10 feet or less. Front carry, or 1 handed carry, up and down stairs, 40#.
- Pushing forces required (during the use of tools): 65# sustained.
- Pulling forces required (during the use of tools): 75# sustained.
- Steel pipe, up to 21 feet long and weighing up to 227#, is rarely lifted and carried by 2 workers.
- Steel pipe, up to 10 feet 6 inches long, and weighing up to 100# is rarely lifted and carried on one shoulder, a distance of 100 feet.
- A sewer machine, weighing 150#, is rarely lifted and carried up and down stairs, by 2 workers.
- Fixtures, weighing up to 75#, are rarely lifted from the ground or floor, and carried short distances, during the day.
- A tank type toilet, weighing 90#, is rarely lifted between 16 and 32 inch height, and carried at knee height between the knees, a short distance.
- Sewer snakes, tools, and materials, weighing up to 75#, are occasionally lifted, and carried up and down stairs.
- Squatting occasionally, and kneeling, crouching, squatting or sitting on the floor to work at low levels, for a prolonged period of time.
- Static trunk forward bending and / or twisting occasionally, from a standing, crouching or kneeling position while using tools.
- Reaching frequently with your arms in all directions.
- Working overhead occasionally from various positions (standing, squatting, and kneeling).
- Balancing when climbing and working on a ladder or scaffold.
- Walking various distances throughout the day on even and uneven surfaces, distances up to 1000 feet.
- Use of various grip circumferences (up to 5 ½ inches), and strengths (up to 75# of grip force in both hands), as well as static grip positions, during the use of various tools, and while manipulating various work materials.
- Manual steadiness, dexterity, speed, and coordination:
- Manual Dexterity — the ability to quickly move your hand, your hand together with your arm, or your two hands to grasp and manipulate objects.
- Wrist-Finger Speed — the ability to make fast, simple, repeated movements of the fingers, hands, and wrists.
Minimum Required Experience
- High School diploma and two (2) years maintenance service plumbing experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Completion of apprenticeship training in the plumbing trade
- Proficient at welding.
- Certified pipe welder.
- Knowledge of Autoclaves.
- Knowledge of fire sprinkler systems.
- Backflow Preventer testing license.
- Knowledge of D.I. water systems.
- Knowledge of fire hydrants, water conditioning equipment, irrigation systems, fire sprinkler systems, steam systems and steam related cooking equipment.
- Ability to perform gas, arc, MIG and TIG welding with proficient knowledge of welding equipment and tools (welders, gas torches, bead blasters).
Facilities Services is charged with the efficient operation and maintenance of the state funded physical plant and assisting the Auxiliaries with these services when requested. Facilities Services also supports campus in enhancing and developing its physical plant.
The University of Montana is flagship, research institution with approximately 10,000 undergraduate and graduate students. It is located in Missoula, a culturally vibrant community of about 75,000, surrounded by mountains and three rivers converge. Abundant recreational opportunities in surrounding state and national forests and nearby Glacier National Park and Yellowstone National Park complement a thriving intellectual atmosphere. The University of Montana offers eligible employees a generous benefits package that positively separates UM from other local employers and offers many programs and policies to support work-life balance for its employees.
The University of Montana is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and has a strong institutional commitment to the principle of diversity in all areas. In that spirit, we are particularly interested in receiving applications from a broad spectrum of qualified people who would assist the University in demonstrating its five priorities for action : Place student success at the center of all we do; drive excellence and innovation in teaching, learning, and research; embody the principle of “mission first, people always"; partner with place; and proudly tell the UM story.
To learn more about the University of Montana please visit the links below.
Position Title: Maintenance Plumber
Position Number: 084360
Department: Facilities Services
Work Schedule: Full-time, 1.0 FTE (40 Hours a week),
Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 4:30 pm, 12 months/year.
Union Affiliation: Plumbers & Pipefitters Local 459
Probationary Period: Six months
Benefits Include : Insurance package, mandatory retirement plan,
partial tuition waiver, and wellness : Pro-rated annual and sick leave;
Public Employees Retirement (PERS) optional
Criminal Background Investigation is required prior to the Offer of Employment In accordance with University regulations, finalists for this position will be subject to criminal background investigations. ADA/EOE/AA/Veteran's Preference Reasonable accommodations are provided in the hiring process for persons with disabilities. For example, this material is available in alternative format upon request. As an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, we encourage applications from minorities, veterans, and women. Qualified candidates may request veterans’ or disabilities preference in accordance with state law. References: References not listed on the application materials may be contacted; notice may be provided to the applicant. Testing: Individual hiring departments at UM may elect to administer pre-employment tests, which are relevant to essential job functions. Employment Eligibility: All New Employees must be eligible and show employment eligibility verification by the first date of employment at UM, as legally required (e.g., Form I-9).
How to Apply
Priority Application Date: Sunday, January 29, 2023 by 11:59 PM (Mountain Time)
Complete applications received by the ‘Priority Application Date’ will be guaranteed consideration. The position will remain open until filled. Candidates are required to submit the following materials online via "New Resume/CV" button below
A complete application Includes:
- Letter of Interest – addressing your qualifications and experience related to the stated required skills for the position. A general letter salutation such as “Dear Search Committee” or “Dear Hiring Manager” is acceptable.
- Detailed Resume – listing education and describing work experience.
- Professional References – names and contact information for three (3) professional references.
*Applying through Indeed.com or easy apply through Indeed.com may result in submission of an incomplete application. Applications may be removed from full consideration if they are not complete with materials listed above under the "How to Apply" section. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure complete application materials are submitted and received by the date listed above.
Job Location Missoula, Montana, United States
Position Type Full-Time/Regular
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert