Faculty Position - Undergraduate Communication Social Media/Technology
- Vanguard University
- California, United States
- Salary Not specified
- Posted Date
- Jan 5, 2023
- Position Type
- Faculty Positions, Communications, Media Studies
- Employment Level
- Non-Tenured Track
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Faculty Position - Undergraduate Communication - Social Media/Technology
The Communication Department at Vanguard University invites applications for a professional or tenure track position in social media and communication technology. This faculty position will lead a vibrant Technology and Emerging Media concentration in the Communication B.A. program that emphasizes professor-student interaction, experiential learning, digital skills and interdisciplinary collaboration. The ideal candidate is a team player who embraces diversity, innovation and out-of-the-box thinking.
Vanguard is a teaching institution, and as such, requires that the successful candidate have a developed pedagogical approach and experience with both in-person and online/ hyflex delivery methods, as well as a passion for mentoring students. Vanguard seeks professionals of Christian faith who are committed to integration of faith and learning in their respective fields.
The Communication program at Vanguard University is part of the Division of Business and Communication and offers four distinct concentrations in the field: Communication Studies, Public Relations, Film & Visual Storytelling and Technology & Emerging Media. The department houses the MediaHub, a center for digital skills training and development, a robust chapter of Lambda Pi Eta, and a newly launched chapter of PRSSA. The department fosters a collaborative, supportive environment for faculty with room for creative thinking and opportunities for personal growth and leadership.
Vanguard University is a private, Christian, comprehensive university of liberal arts and professional studies equipping students for a Spirit-empowered life of Christ-centered leadership and service. A strong commitment to cultural diversity, racial reconciliation, and gender equality is a consequence of Vanguard being deeply grounded in the faith tradition that brought the University into existence. Moreover, these core values continue to define the institutional vision that pulls the Vanguard community forward toward its mission and educational targets and goals. Within this Christian context of inclusiveness, the University aims to provide a quality educational experience by cultivating the Spirit-empowered life in Christian experience and service; promoting academic excellence that integrates faith and life; and providing professor-mentors in a dynamic community environment.
Vanguard is located in beautiful Orange County, CA and enjoys easy proximity to Southern California beaches, Disneyland and the media and technology industries in Los Angeles and environs.
- Teach undergraduate-level courses in social media techniques, strategy and analytics, digital/corporate communication, organizational communication, professional communication, computer-mediated communication, research methods/data analytics for the strategic communication field, new media production and other media-focused communication courses.
- Transfer knowledge including theory, practical skills, methods and techniques.
- Challenge thinking, foster debate and develop the ability of students to engage in critical discourse and thinking, including critical evaluation of peer-reviewed articles, case studies, simulations and other published sources.
- Provide opportunities for students to practice essential job skills.
- Collaborate with department faculty in curriculum implementation, student support, and continuous program improvement.
- Imagine, promote and lead new initiatives.
- Expand knowledge to the broader Vanguard community through the department's MediaHub.
- Terminal degree in related field. Qualified individuals with M.A. in related areas and significant professional and teaching experience will be considered.
- Practical professional experience in social media strategy and content creation.
- Competency in written, oral and visual communication.
- Functional knowledge/usage of creative and digital applications such as Adobe Creative Cloud (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Premiere, Spark), and Google Analytics. Coding and/or UX experience a plus.
- Demonstrated proficiency with social media and an interest in the sociopolitical/ethical aspects of digitally-mediated communication and communities.
- Understanding of current trends and required skills sets in the job field.
- Demonstrated teaching ability at the undergraduate level. Experience with hyflex and/or online delivery methods preferred.
- A vibrant Christian faith, and commitment to an integration of faith and learning.
Assistant Professor: $58,242 to $78,336
Associate Professor: $67,932 to $91,494
Professor: $78,846 to $109,548
Placement at appropriate rank (e.g., Assistant, Associate, or Full Professor) and initial salary is dependent upon education, experience, and based on Vanguard's faculty compensation schedule. The upper range is reserved for candidates that demonstrate the highest level of proficiency within a particular rank. Vanguard University also offers a very competitive and generous benefits package.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Please complete and submit the Faculty application along with the below documents to email@example.com. Please do not send your documents directly to the Department Chair.
*Email must include all the above requested attachments and a completed Faculty application in order to be considered.
To apply, please visit: https://www.vanguard.edu/resources/human-resources/vu-careers/~board/hr-open-positions/post/smt123
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert