Instructional Technologist -LMU ITS
- Loyola Marymount University
- Los Angeles, California
- Salary range $64,480.00 - $71,600.00 Salary commensurate with education and experience.
- Posted Date
- Jan 5, 2023
- Position Type
- Administrative, Academic Affairs, Instructional Technology & Design (Campus)
- Employment Level
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Job Description Summary
Loyola Marymount University (LMU) Information Technology Services (ITS) seeks an Instructional Technologist to provide top-tier support to the faculty of the School of Film and Television (SFTV) and the College of Communication and Fine Arts (CFA). The person in this position will work as part of a team of Instructional Technologists and report to the Manager of Instructional Technology.
The person in this role will be expected to know the curriculum, culture, and nuances of both of these academic communities so they can advise smartly and suggest practices best suited for each of the teaching and learning styles.
Instructional Technologists keep faculty savvy, relevant, and informed regarding the use of technology in teaching, learning, and research. They do this by bridging knowledge of education technology, digital pedagogy, instructional design, and e-learning applications. The job is performed by people who communicate well and communicate often.
Instructional Technologists at LMU are great problem solvers who bring their own specialties to the table and use creativity in the problem-solving process. Most importantly, Instructional Technologists contribute to a culture of cooperation. They work together, support each other, share knowledge, combine efforts, collaborate regularly, communicate openly, and cooperate willingly to consistently offer above-and-beyond customer service.
1. Provide top-tier instructional technology support to the faculty members of SFTV and CFA.
2. Proactively foster and develop relationships with college leaders, including department chairs, administrators, and committee heads.
3. Partner with ITS leadership and the college deans to develop multiple-year technology roadmaps.
4. Demonstrate keen knowledge of each college's disciplines and apply this knowledge as needed.
5. Develop familiarity with the needs, nuances, and culture of SFTV and CFA.
6. Support the formulation and definition of college-level teaching and learning objectives.
7. Participate in college-level academic technology, web, and other pertinent committees.
8. Collaborate with other ITS teams to support faculty across the institution.
9. Apply adult learning theory to areas including, but not limited to, constructivism, cognitive learning theory, and distributed learning theory.
10. Collaborate with faculty to improve student learning using instructional design principles.
11. Use expertise in education technology to evaluate technology that can enhance teaching environments.
12. Use expertise in learning theory to develop curricula that utilize a variety of technology-enhanced learning modalities.
13. Provide training and support to faculty in instructional media and emerging technologies.
14. Contribute to knowledge management workflows by maintaining self-service resources and documentation.
15. Develop strategies to ensure that faculty can function independently and that they can continue to work in your absence.
16. Pursue certifications in key competency areas to keep skillsets relevant.
17. Stay informed about ways technology policies impact your work. Examples include security, privacy, and accessibility.
18. Demonstrate knowledge and competency with software applications in use on the computers of the college's labs and classrooms.
19. Contribute to the oversight of hardware and software purchases for the college.
20. Perform other duties as assigned.
1. Minimum 3 years experience with university-level learning environments or similar training in curriculum design and instructional design.
2. A Master's Degree in Educational Technology, Instructional Design, Curriculum Design, or related field (or equivalent experience).
3. Demonstrated computer competency and experience with Learning Management and Course Building software (especially D2L Brightspace).
4. Skills in training, teaching, facilitation, negotiation, and consulting within an academic environment. Teaching or training experience is preferred.
5. Experience using content authoring tools, application development, graphic or usability design.
6. Must understand technology user behavior and user needs analysis.
7. General knowledge of hardware, network, computer lab configuration, and other basic information technology services.
8. General knowledge of media delivery formats including real-time video conferencing, on-demand streaming video, audio services, and their integration into a learning management system.
9. Some experience using emerging technologies such as immersive technology, 3D printing, 360 video, etc.
10. Ability to adapt to fast changing circumstances and new educational technology requirements.
11. Strong willingness to continue upgrading knowledge, skills, and abilities needed to keep abreast of regulation and policy changes.
12. Strong willingness to step in, step up, offer help, and contribute to team efforts and group projects.
13. Exemplary communication skills and a strong ability to build and maintain stable working relationships with faculty and staff.
14. Must have proven experience in technology support and customer service.
15. Ability to work independently and proactively.
16. Ability to multi-task and work as an effective member of a team.
17. Highly developed organizational skills.
18. No certifications required. LMU will offer certification and training.
COVID VACCINATION REQUIREMENT:
To ensure the safety and well-being of our community Loyola Marymount University requires that all students, faculty and staff are vaccinated or have been approved for a qualifying medical or religious exemption.
LMU values diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging and we believe that diversity and excellence go hand-in-hand. We seek to hire individuals who have a significant potential for cultural contribution in the workplace and a commitment to working effectively with colleagues from diverse backgrounds. We encourage people of all ages, persuasions, and identities to apply.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert