Associate or Professor, Health Sciences (Department Chair)
- California State University, Dominguez Hills
- California, United States
- Salary Not specified
- Posted Date
- Jan 5, 2023
- Position Type
- Faculty Positions, Health & Medicine, Other Health & Medicine
- Employment Level
- Tenured/Tenured Track
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Associate or Professor, Health Sciences (Department Chair)
Job No: 520539
Work Type: Instructional Faculty - Tenured/Tenure-Track
Location: Dominguez Hills
Categories: Unit 3 - CFA - California Faculty Association, Tenured/Tenure-Track, Full Time, Faculty - Health Sciences
Associate or Professor, Department Chair
Department of Health Sciences
College of Health, Human Services, & Nursing
The Department of Health Sciences in the College of Health, Human Services, and Nursing at California State University, Dominguez Hills (CSUDH) invites applications for a Tenured Associate or Professor position at the rank of Department Chair (Academic-Year) with the appointment starting in Summer or Fall 2023.
At CSUDH, we celebrate and respect diversity in all forms that include every race, religion, gender, ethnicity, veterans, people with varied abilities, and members of the LGBTQ+ community. CSUDH is seeking applications from candidates who can demonstrate experience in teaching and working with individuals from diverse backgrounds and contribute to the University's mission, vision, and core values.
For more information: Mission, Vision, and Values.
Department of Health Sciences, College of Health, Human Services, and Nursing
The Department of Health Sciences has nearly 600 majors and is housed within the College of Health, Human Services and Nursing. This dynamic and rapidly growing program offers a B.S. degree in Health Science with concentrations in community health, healthcare management, and radiologic technology, a master's degree in Radiologic and Imaging Sciences, and an MPH program currently under development for implementation within the next few years.
The mission of the Department of Health Sciences is to:
- Strengthen students' intellectual capacities and abilities to develop and mobilize human and institutional resources and services to meet the health needs of diverse individuals and populations, as well as the communities in which they reside.
- Educate students in developing and implementing evidence-based assessment and intervention models that improve the biopsychosocial health of diverse individuals and populations, as well as the communities in which they reside.
- Prepare scholar-practitioners to engage in multidisciplinary scientific inquiry that advances the knowledge base of research and practice in the health disciplines.
- Prepare graduates who will be leaders in their fields and professions to inform and influence professional dialogues on key health issues affecting diverse individuals and populations, as well as the communities in which they reside.
- Prepare scholar-activists who -- with a global consciousness and ecosystemic perspective -- are committed to attaining health equity and collective well-being through the promotion of human development, universal human rights, and social justice
For more information: https://catalog.csudh.edu/
The position includes overseeing three undergraduate options (Healthcare Management, Community Health, & Radiologic Sciences), one graduate program (Radiologic and Imaging Sciences), and shepherding the final approval of the MPH.
The College of Health, Human Services and Nursing at California State Dominguez Hills seeks an individual to serve as the Chair of Health Sciences. The successful candidate will be an accomplished scholar in public health, or a closely related field (e.g., track record of publications and/or grant funding) with demonstrated academic leadership skills (e.g., Director of MPH Program, department chair, or related leadership positions), vision to lead a dynamic and growing department, and emphasizes research excellence, quality undergraduate and graduate instruction, and community engagement. In addition, the department seeks someone who will participate in transparent academic shared governance at the department, college, and university levels and foster faculty development through mentorship, collaboration, and training opportunities.
- Manage and supervise faculty and staff, and administer and evaluate academic programs, budget, and student advisement.
- Engage in public health professional scholarly and community-engaged collaborative activities.
- Create and maintain an academic and collegial environment that fosters teaching, research, and community service excellence.
- Guide both curriculum and faculty development.
- Working in collaboration with the Health Sciences Academic Advisor
- Secure and manage external funding.
- Other duties as assigned.
The successful candidate will be responsible for coordinating the final approval of the MPH degree and the accreditation through CEPH or CAHME, conducting and publishing research in areas of expertise, overseeing the existing curriculum and program accreditation, assessment, evaluation, and participating in shared governance at various levels of the University. The Department Chair supervises all full and part-time faculty for the department and the administrative support staff. The Chair also represents the Health Sciences Department at college and university level meetings/committees and reports directly to the Dean of the College of Health, Human Services and Nursing.
- Applicants must have experience in working with colleagues from diverse age, socioeconomic, cultural, and academic backgrounds.
- Earned doctorate in Public Health or closely related fields from an accredited institution of higher education (e.g., PhD, DPH, DrPH)
- At least six (6) recent years of satisfactory progressive teaching experience, which includes a minimum of three (3) years in an accredited MPH, DrPH, or DPH program
- A record of scholarly accomplishments, including publications in peer-reviewed academic journals, invited contributions to publications, invitations to present at national conferences, and successful external funding awards
- Demonstrated experience in curriculum development
- A minimum of three (3) years of demonstrated experience in an administrative position
- Demonstrated experience with CEPH or CAHME accreditation standards as they apply to graduate programs
- Strong interpersonal and problem-solving skills, and effective conflict resolution skills
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. CSU will make a conditional offer of employment, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
CSU COVID-19 Vaccination Interim Policy
The California State University (CSU) is committed to safeguarding the health and well-being of our students, faculty, staff, administrators, and the communities we serve, as well as maintaining higher education access and attainment for our students, as such, we embrace a comprehensive strategy designed to reduce the likelihood of transmission of the COVID-19 virus. The CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption if eligible. Any candidate advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement. The system-wide policy can be found at: CSU COVID-19 Vaccinations Policy.
Questions about the COVID-19 Vaccination Policy may be sent to email@example.com .
The Associate Professor (Academic Year) classification salary range is $6,190 to $13,172 per month (12 monthly payments per academic year), and the full Professor (Academic Year) classification salary range is $7,794 to $ 13,797 per month (12 monthly payments per academic year). Additional compensation for the Academic Year (AY) Department Chair role is based on Academic Year faculty salary and the fractional time base designated for this academic department as well as a stipend for summer chair work that is based on this fractional time base. Rank and salary will depend on qualifications, experience, and academic discipline. Salary is subject to budgetary authorization and any California State University System faculty contract increases. Summer research grants, moving expenses, start‐up funds, and a reduced teaching load may be available. An excellent comprehensive benefits package is available that includes: health/vision/dental plans; spouse, domestic partner and dependent fee‐waiver; access to campus child‐care; and a defined‐benefit retirement through the state system along with optional tax sheltering opportunities. For a detailed description of benefits, please visit: https://www.csudh.edu/hr/benefits/
Mandated Reporter Per CANRA
The person holding this position is considered a ‘mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act (CANRA) and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083, revised December 24, 2021, as a condition of employment.
How to Apply- To apply for this position, please click the "Apply Now" button on this page.
The position is open until filled. Review of applications will begin in November/2022. For full consideration, please submit your completed application with the required materials no later than February 3, 2023.
*Given CSUDH's commitment to diversity and inclusion for all students, faculty, staff, and administrators, describe your individual commitment and experiences in advancing diversity and inclusion and how they relate to your future teaching and research.
**This position requires three letters of recommendation (LORs). Please do not upload your LORs with your application. Your list of references will be notified at the appropriate time during the search process. They will receive a request via email along with information on uploading the LOR. You will be able to verify that each letter has been received by CSUDH by logging back into your applicant portal.
**For finalist with International transcripts, a United States Equivalency certification will be required.
A United States (US) Equivalency certification is required for earned/awarded/conferred foreign terminal degrees, which is from a foreign Academic Institution for foreign studies. The US Equivalency certification is used to validate foreign studies from an academic credential evaluation agency and is evaluated on foreign studies and deemed to be equivalent to degrees from the United States. The certification must translate the information in English, and confirm that your highest terminal degree is US Equivalent to a US terminal degree (i.e., Bachelor's, Master's, Doctorate's, Doctor's of Philosophy). The certification can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed directly to the office of Faculty Affairs and Development, 1000 East Victoria Street, WH-368, Carson, CA 90747.
If you have questions regarding the position, please contact:
Dr. Elwin R. Tilson
Search Committee Chair
CSU, Dominguez Hills
1000 East Victoria Street, (Department of Health Sciences)
Carson, CA 90747
CSUDH is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, or protected veteran status.
For more information: U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission
Individuals with disabilities requesting accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) may call the Human Resources' Office (310) 243-3771.
Clery Act crime statistics for CSUDH are available at Campus Security Report (Clery), or by calling University Police at (310) 243-3639.
Upon appointment, all candidates must furnish proof of eligibility to work in the U.S.
The California State University is Smoke and Tobacco Free. Smoking, Vaping and other Tobacco use are Not Permitted anywhere on University property. Education Code 42356, CCR Title 5, Article 9.
For more information see: Smoke & Tobacco-Free
Applications Close: Open until filled
To apply, visit: https://careers.csudh.edu/en-us/job/520539/associate-or-professor-health-sciences-department-chair
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert