Mental Health Counselor
- Colgate University
- New York, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Jan 4, 2023
- Position Type
- Faculty Positions, Professional Fields, Social Work & Human Services, Social & Behavioral Sciences, Psychology, Administrative, Student Affairs, Counseling, Health Services, Other Student Affairs
- Employment Level
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Colgate University, a premiere liberal arts university of approximately 3,100 students, seeks an energetic mental health counselor to join the Counseling and Psychological Services team.This team partners closely with the Shaw Wellness Institute, Student Health Services, and Haven: The Sexual Violence Resource Center to focus on the wellness needs of Colgate students. The mental health counselor will work to provide individual and group counseling in addition to walk-in and crisis support to students. Additionally, this employee will deliver mental health outreach programming to the campus community. Colgate is focused on supporting students as they engage in a highly competitive academic environment. The position reports to the Senior Associate Director of Counseling and Psychological Services.
It is an exciting time for the University as Colgate enters its third century. President Brian W. Casey is leading the campus through a comprehensive Third-Century Plan to raise the institution’s profile as a distinctive and strong undergraduate liberal arts institution to even-higher levels of achievement. Of particular relevance to this role is the advancement of an integrated health and wellness initiative. Additionally, Colgate’s focus on diversity, equity and inclusion. The Plan for Diversity Equity and Inclusion emphasizes the importance of supporting students from all backgrounds and focusing particularly on those who have been traditionally marginalized at predominantly white universities.
Counseling and Psychological Services benefits from strong institutional support, reinforced by a clear commitment from Dr. Paul McLoughlin. The mental health counselor will join an intelligent, intentional, encouraging team of professionals at a particularly exciting moment. The counseling center also offers a training program that mental health counselors have been engaged with developing. Case consultation, regular team check-ins, and professional development opportunities are highlights of this position.
Learn more about Colgate University and the Dean of the College Division by reviewing A Candidate’s Guide to Colgate . In 2021 and 2022, the Dean of the College Division was acknowledged byDiverse Issues in Higher Educationand Inside Higher Ed as one of the Most Promising Places to Work in Student Affairs.
Primarily accountable for providing confidential counseling/psychological services to students. Areas of focus include responsibility for:
- effective provision of clinical services via individual and group therapy;
- appropriate and effective crisis assessment and response;
- timely and effective on-call support of after-hours mental health needs;
- quality of treatment measured by overall improvement in symptoms and client self-report;
- client satisfaction with treatment and timely response and provision of services;
- expert consultation and information to other administrative staff and faculty;
- confidentiality and maintenance of records in compliance with professional standards;
- clinical services following ethical standards, and in compliance with state law;
- continuity of care between on-campus and off-campus resources regarding individual student mental health care, to include case management;
- assessment of student mental health needs through clinical interview and symptom inventories, as needed;
- effective outreach; and
- where appropriate, advocacy for student mental health needs.
- as required, contribute to specific internal programs (e.g. group therapy, mental health programming); and
- as required, coordinate an office program such as outreach initiatives and/or remote hours with international student services
- as required, collaborate with campus partners to extend or promote campus mental health needs;
- as required, may be responsible for providing effective advice, counsel, and leadership on University committees.
Professional Experience/ Qualifications
- Must have completed all requirements (eg- coursework, thesis, practicum/internship) toward completing a Master’s degree in social work, clinical or counseling psychology, or a closely-related field, by start date
- Multicultural competence and skill in working with students from a diversity of backgrounds
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to serve on call, including nights and weekends as needed.
- Licensed as a social worker or mental health clinician in NY or expected to attain license within one year of hire
- Experience with young adults, adolescents, or college populations
- Commitment to social justice advocacy and diversity work
- Interest or experience in leading group therapy
- Experience in providing community education/training on various mental health subjects
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with campus partners and multidisciplinary teams
- Evidence of ability to coordinate initiatives/programs on a team
- Interest or experience in working with international college students
A minimum of a Master’s degree in mental health counseling, social work, clinical/counseling psychology is required.
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions Summary
It is the policy of Colgate University not to discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of their race, color, creed, religion, age, sex, pregnancy, national origin, marital status, disability, protected Veterans status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, being or having been victims of domestic violence or stalking, familial status, or any other categories covered by law. Colgate is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Candidates from historically underrepresented groups, women, persons with disabilities, and protected veterans are encouraged to apply.
For more information, click the "How to Apply" button.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert