Assistant Athletics Director for Athletics Grounds and Events
- Dartmouth College
- New Hampshire, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Jan 5, 2023
- Position Type
- Administrative, Business & Administrative Affairs, Facilities Management & Physical Plant, Conference & Special Event Administration, Student Affairs, Athletics
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Open Until Filled
Assistant Athletics Director for Athletics Grounds and Events
Department this Position Reports to
Hiring Range Minimum
Hiring Range Maximum
Not an SEIU Position
Regular Full Time
Scheduled Months per Year
Scheduled Hours per Week
This individual would work 7:30am – 4pm, Monday – Friday with seasonal event coverage responsibilities.
Location of Position
Remote Work Eligibility?
Is this a term position?
If yes, length of term in months.
Is this a grant funded position?
The Athletics Grounds Crew Supervisor exercises responsibility for preparation and maintenance of all indoor and outdoor DCAD athletic fields and facilities. Supervises the Athletics Events Crew including planning, scheduling, and implementing work assignments.
Dartmouth College Athletics consists of 35 Varsity Sports and an Intramural/Club sports program. Athletics is vital to the student experience, and this position has a significant impact on the success of Dartmouth student-athletes. The Assistant Athletics Director for Athletics Grounds and Events manages as many as 8 SEIU union events and grounds crew. The individual in this position is responsible for planning the complex day-to-day schedule for maintaining athletics facilities and event/practice preparation for all athletics and recreational spaces. Dartmouth College Athletics facilities include ~700,000 square feet of indoor space, including the Graham Indoor Practice Facility, Thompson Arena, Leverone Field House, Leede Arena, and the Boss Tennis Center and ~60 acres of outdoor spaces, including Burnham Field, Memorial Field, Scully-Fahey Field, Biondi Park, and the Dartmouth Softball Park. This position also includes oversight of 2 additional SEIU employees in charge of maintaining a 15-acre practice golf course and 50 plus acres of property used for college-sponsored events and recreational activities. The ideal candidate must be flexible in a fast-paced environment and detail-oriented to manage the complex array of athletics facilities successfully. To learn more about Dartmouth’s athletics facilities, follow this link: https://dartmouthsports.com/facilities/alumni-gym/35
Required Qualifications - Education and Yrs Exp
Bachelors or equivalent combination of education and experience
Required Qualifications - Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- Eight to ten years of relevant experience and a valid driver’s license.
- Supervisory experience required.
- Valid Driver’s License.
- Computer Literacy desired.
- Ability to use a variety of hand tools, equipment, and shift-type vehicles.
- Ability to give and follow instructions both orally and in writing.
- Ability to direct the work of others.
- Ability to perform strenuous physical activities in all kinds of weather.
- Ability to communicate effectively with a wide variety of college personnel and outside vendors.
- Willingness to work on evenings and weekends when required.
- Must be able to obtain a supervisor pesticide applicators license within 12 months of employment.
- College degree preferred but not required.
Department Contact for Cover Letter and Title
Equal Opportunity Employer
Dartmouth College is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion. We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, veteran status, marital status, or any other legally protected status. Applications by members of all underrepresented groups are encouraged.
Employment in this position is contingent upon consent to and successful completion of a pre-employment background check, which may include a criminal background check, reference checks, verification of work history, and verification of any required academic credentials, licenses, and/or certifications, with results acceptable to Dartmouth College. A criminal conviction will not automatically disqualify an applicant from employment. Background check information will be used in a confidential, non-discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal law.
Is driving a vehicle (e.g. Dartmouth vehicle or off road vehicle, rental car, personal car) an essential function of this job?
Special Instructions to Applicants
All Dartmouth College employees, whether working on-site or remotely, are required to be up to date with vaccination against COVID -19 (or to have received an approved exemption from vaccination through the Office of Institutional Diversity and Equity). Please visit https://dartgo.org/vaxpolicy for details. Compliance with this requirement is a condition of employment. Failure to meet this condition of employment within the first 30 days may result in Dartmouth in its sole discretion ending employment.
Dartmouth College has a Tobacco-Free Policy. Smoking and the use of tobacco-based products (including smokeless tobacco) are prohibited in all facilities, grounds, vehicles or other areas owned, operated or occupied by Dartmouth College with no exceptions. For details, please see our policy. https://policies.dartmouth.edu/policy/tobacco-free-policy
- Plans, prioritizes, assigns, and schedules work of the Athletics Events Crew and temporary personnel, including approval of distribution of overtime and time off, and ensures adequate staffing with appropriate consideration of vacation, personal and short-term disability leave.
- Participates in personnel actions including, hiring, performance management and evaluation, discipline, promotions, and transfers, and works with Union and other College departments regarding personnel matters.
- Participates in formulating and implementing policies and procedures as necessary to ensure that safety, quality control and productivity standards are met for all work performed including use of tools, facility/field/ice set-ups.
- Ensures proper communication with staff, management, and FO&M’s shops through regular meetings or other forms of communication.
- Inspects and oversees work to ensure compliance with NCAA requirements, instructions, quality, and safety standards.
- Meets with Associate Athletic Director for Facilities and Operations on a regular basis to discuss potential issues, equipment/vehicle breakdowns, scheduling conflicts, weather emergencies, etc.
- Monitors and ensures that appropriate supplies, equipment, and tools are available to perform scheduled work. Provides purchasing needs to Associate Athletic Director for Facilities and Operations; may order parts, materials, supplies, etc.
Athletics Fields & Facilities
- Ensures that all preparation and maintenance are performed regularly for baseball, football, softball, track facilities and other athletic fields and the resulting equipment, spectator seating, watering systems, etc. are in working condition. Has the ability to layout field dimensions, lines according to the sports rules and regulations.
- Supervises the installation, maintenance and monitoring of the rink ice to specifications.
- Supervises and coordinates the setup of facilities for a variety of programs including athletics, contest, practices, etc. in gyms, Fieldhouse or other arenas for special events and activities sponsored by the College or other organizations renting space from the College. Set-up includes PA systems, athletic equipment, placement of ticket booths, set up of bleachers, flooring, tables, etc.
- Ensures proper maintenance and oversight of the grounds and interior program areas for all outdoor athletic facilities and field house including athletic events or special events. Ensures proper maintenance and preparation for basketball, volleyball, or squash areas for practices, games, tournaments, etc.
- Ensures that all preparation and maintenance are scheduled for the outdoor clay courts by scarifying, leveling, installing required quantities of fast-dry material, laying out and resetting tennis tapes, rolling, etc.
- Oversees the Events Mechanic in fleet maintenance and making minor repairs to the weight equipment in all weight rooms, cardio-vascular/selectorized equipment, scales, racks, etc.
Golf Practice Area and Cross-Country Trails (Former Hanover Country Club)
- Purchase and oversee applications of fertilizers, insecticides, and fungicides in accordance with local and federal laws.
- Oversees the scouting and assessment of turf for pest and disease for the purposes of maintaining healthy and playable turf for golf and running.
- Directs the maintenance of cross-country trails and walking paths for competition and public use.
- Directs the maintenance of all areas of the former Hanover Country Club property to accommodate a variety of college activities, including the practice golf areas.
- Works with other departments to guide use of HCC property for winter activities and special events.
Demonstrates a commitment to diversity, inclusion, and cultural awareness through actions, interactions, and communications with others.
Performs other duties as assigned.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Talent Acquisition Consultant
- American Library Association
- Chronicle of Higher Education
- Chronicle of Philanthropy
- Dartmouth College Employment Website
- Internal Employee Referral (Please specify full name below)
- Higher Ed Jobs
- Inside Higher Ed Jobs
- National Black MBA Association
- Recruit Military
- Valley News
- Other (Please specify below)
- If you answered, 'Internal Employee Referral' or 'Other' to the
above question, please specify here:
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert