Full Time Faculty, Opera Conductor/Pianist/Coach
- Berklee College of Music
- Boston, Massachusetts
- Commensurate with experience
- Posted Date
- Jan 5, 2023
- Position Type
- Faculty Positions
- Employment Level
- Non-Tenured Track
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Boston Conservatory at Berklee invites applications for a full-time faculty position as opera conductor/pianist/coach in the Voice Department of the Music Division. The ideal candidate for this position will be a motivated, creative professional who is committed to excellence in teaching, has a demonstrated record of national or international musical engagement as an opera conductor and coach, and enjoys working in a campus climate that promotes cultural diversity and multicultural understanding. This is a 9-month full-time faculty position with renewable contract; initial appointment to begin September 1, 2023. Compensation and rank are commensurate with professional experience.
Opera at Boston Conservatory:
The opera program mounts three fully staged productions with orchestra in the mainstage theater every year. Each mainstage production has two casts plus a cover cast. Children’s operas are produced annually, as are opera scenes. Additionally, there are outreach presentations and special events for which opera provides performances.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
Primary duties for of this position include conducting a select number of annual mainstage operas; coaching students in preparation for all mainstage operas, as well as in preparation for YAP and other auditions; instructing opera-related courses; providing music direction as needed for opera scenes and the children’s operas; participating in auxiliary outside events as needed; working with department faculty in assignments and scheduling of musical staff. Other duties and responsibilities will be based on the candidate’s individual experience, along with areas of the candidate’s specialization. Service to the Conservatory may include academic advising, recruitment initiatives, advancing the work of the Voice Department, and other duties as assigned.
- High level of familiarity with the standard and contemporary opera repertoire
- High level conducting skills
- High level piano skills
- Mastery of French, German, Italian and English language and lyric diction
- Mastery of additional language(s) a plus
- Master's Degree or comparable professional experience
- Minimum 5 years teaching in accredited higher education institution
- An openness to diverse musical styles and ways of learning/teaching
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Experience and willingness to work within a diverse faculty and student body
Electronic applications only. Please submit the following materials in PDF or Word format at berklee.edu/jobs. All application materials can be uploaded to the Resume/Cover letter application section.
- Cover letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- One-page teaching philosophy
- Phone and email contact information for three (3) references
- Links to Video demonstrations of the following:
- 1-2 clips demonstrating conducting, at least one video with orchestra
- One video demonstrating candidate coaching from the piano.
Video(s) must be submitted via website link(s). (YouTube unlisted, Vimeo, etc.)
Diversity Mission Statement:
As a performing arts conservatory, we acknowledge that conservatory education has historically been focused on Western classicism. Boston Conservatory at Berklee is committed to reinventing this educational model through curricular and programmatic innovation that immerses our students in a wide range of artistic and aesthetic languages, engages them in understanding performing arts as cultural documents, and ensures equitable racial, ethnic, gender, and LGBTQ+ representation at every level of our institution. We are committed to removing barriers that may discourage any person from learning, teaching, and working with us.
Application Review and Deadline:
1) For full consideration, applications and supporting materials must be received by January 30, 2023.
2) Incomplete applications will not be considered.
3) The position will remain open for applications until filled.
Berklee is committed to increasing the diversity of the college community and the curriculum. Candidates who can contribute to that goal are encouraged to apply and to identify their strengths in this area.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert