Manager, Insurance and Risk - Risk Management and Insurance
- Rowan University
- New Jersey, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Jan 4, 2023
Manager, Insurance and Risk, Risk Management and Insurance
Rowan University’s Office of Risk Management and Insurance seeks an experienced professional to serve in the role of Manager, Insurance and Risk. The Manager, Insurance and Risk will assist with management of the University’s insurance portfolio involving both commercial insurance and self-insured exposures. Responsibilities include understanding the University’s risk exposures and assisting with the design of the overall insurance program, to include insurance pricing and terms, in order to protect the University against various casualty, property, liability, and financial risks. This position will manage Notice of Claims filed against the University under the New Jersey Tort Claims Act.
The Manager, Insurance and Risk will also assist with the review of contractual agreements to advise and recommend insurance provisions to protect the University’s assets and limit exposure to loss. In addition, the Manager, Insurance and Risk assists with University loss control measures, coverage review for claims administration, and other duties, including but not limited to review of operational budgets for insurance related expenses. The position requires professional collaboration with the State of New Jersey Office of Attorney General, insurance companies, partners in the New Jersey Association of State Colleges and Universities (NJASCU a/k/a the Consortium), as well as third party consultants, service providers and vendors.
The Manager, Insurance and Risk executes various responsibilities in collaboration with the Senior Director, Risk Management and Insurance and the Office of General Counsel. The Manager Insurance and Risk may represent the Department on University committees and work groups, and provides day-to-day risk management advice and support as requested to academic and administrative departments and student and alumni groups in line with University policies and guidelines.
- Administration of a variety of activities associated with the annual renewal and maintenance of the University’s insurance programs, to include the student accident and health insurance plans. Requires collaboration with internal and external colleagues and consultants.
- Coordination of property carrier inspections, site visits, loss prevention recommendations, and construction project plan reviews with the assistance of the various Facilities representatives.
- Identification and management of the reporting of claims filed against the University, to include medical professional liability Notice of Claims, to the proper insurance carrier, third party claims administrator/s, insurance broker/s, and/or the State of New Jersey Office of Attorney General in accordance with internal and/or carrier reporting requirements.
- Responsible for coordinating claims handling activities with the Office of General Counsel, as applicable, and for ensuring that insurance carriers and /or third-party claims administrators receive all required documentation for claims in litigation.
- In collaboration with the Risk Management Analyst, maintain the claims database system, maintain loss runs, open and closed claims reports, and actuarial loss runs.
- Assist faculty, students, and staff with risk management and insurance needs. Provide guidance and direction on best practices for activities and events to mitigate risk.
- Manage the University’s vehicle report in collaboration with Facilities and the Risk Management Analyst for reporting to the State for annual premium assessment and insurance cards.
- Effectively represent the University in the Consortium regarding the renewals and maintenance of the insurance policies and student plans purchased. Effectively collaborate and communicate internally regarding these policies and plans.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Risk Management, Finance or related field.
- 7 - 10+ years of relevant experience in risk management and insurance, with in-depth knowledge and technical expertise of complex insurance programs within the property, casualty, and liability lines of coverage.
- Prior experience with insurance policy management and claims management, to include professional liability claims.
- Able to work independently and apply a high degree of analysis and sound judgement to a variety of risk related situations.
- Demonstrated decision-making and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent communication and customer service skills, both written and verbal.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Insurance/Risk Management experience in higher education/academic healthcare
- Master’s Degree
- Professional Designation or Certification (example, ARM)
NOTE: Rowan University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diverse people and abilities. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position. Candidates must be legally authorized to work in the US, and the university will not sponsor an applicant for a work visa for this position.
Advertised: Jan 4 2023 Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Feb 16 2023 11:55 PM Eastern Standard Time
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert