PEAC²E (Peer Engagement for Achievement, Culture, Connection and Excellence) Adjunct Counselor
- Los Rios Community College District (Folsom Lake College)
- California, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Jan 4, 2023
- Position Type
- Faculty Positions, Education, Counsellor Education, Administrative, Academic Affairs, Cooperative & Experiential Education, Student Affairs, Career Services, Counseling, Disabled Student Services
- Employment Level
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Job Posting Title
PEAC²E (Peer Engagement for Achievement, Culture, Connection and Excellence) Adjunct Counselor
Los Rios Community College District (Folsom Lake College)
Temporary Position Category
Established in 2004 as the fourth college in the Los Rios Community College District, Folsom Lake College ( FLC ) is a vibrant teaching and learning institution serving over 8,800 ethnically and racially diverse students each semester. The College and its two educational centers, the El Dorado Center in Placerville ( EDC ) and the Rancho Cordova Center ( RCC ), serve the rapidly growing areas of both eastern Sacramento and western El Dorado counties, forming a dynamic learning community committed to academic excellence, innovation, and educational equity.
Our mission is focused on a rigorous educational program with a strong focus on student success. We provide a broad range of academic programs, student support services, learning modalities (including online and hybrid courses), as well as opportunities for student engagement and leadership. We also incorporate the newest technologies for innovative classroom instruction, including collaboration with The Innovation Center Makerspace at the main Folsom campus.
The main Folsom campus also includes the Harris Center for the Arts, a state of the art visual and performing arts venue. The Center presents a diverse program of arts, culture, and entertainment that engages the entire region. It is also home to FLC’s Visual and Performing Arts education programs, as well as local arts organizations and community partners, who embrace the opportunity to perform and learn in a world-class facility.
The main Folsom campus provides educational environments designed to empower, inspire, and enrich our diverse student population, including students from historically underrepresented and underserved populations. Our College awards Associate in Arts or Science degrees, as well as Associate Degrees for Transfer, which guarantee transfer into California State Universities and numerous private and non-profit four-year colleges and universities. We also offer Career Education (CE) certificates and degrees and transfer credit for students who wish to continue their education at a four-year college or university.
Our Commitment to Social Justice and Equity
The main Folsom campus believes that education should belong to everyone. To nourish this inclusion, we champion equity, diversity, social justice, and environmental sustainability as foundational to academic, campus, and community life. We work with the communities we serve toward just and fair inclusion into a society in which all people can participate, prosper, and reach their full potential. We commit to equity-driven decision-making, planning, and reflective processes that are responsive to the diverse identities and experiences in our community.
Folsom Lake College is searching for an experienced temporary part-time faculty (Adjunct) counselor to serve as the PEAC²E (Peer Engagement for Achievement, Culture, Connection and Excellence) program counselor.
The purpose of the PEAC²E program is to enhance the educational experiences for Black/African-American, Latinx, and other disproportionately impacted students at Folsom Lake College. The creation of this position is a part of Folsom Lake College’s commitment to antiracism and social justice. The successful candidate will have a comprehensive understanding of the lived experiences of students of color/marginalized groups, understanding the impact of racial stress, racial trauma, multiracial identity, intersectionality, and systemic racism.
Salary placement determined by Los Rios salary procedures. LRCCD Salary Schedules
Additional Salary Information
Initial annual salary within a given range varies, depending upon units/degrees completed at accredited colleges/universities and experience. Candidates not holding the minimum degree requirement may start at a salary lower than posted above.
The adjunct faculty member shall be responsible for the following: counseling services and/or teaching assigned classes under the supervision of the area dean:
- Offering weekly in-person counseling hours for PEAC²E students between the hours of 8AM-5PM, Monday through Friday.
- Providing in-person individual and group counseling to students in the PEAC²E program.
- Collaborating in the development of counseling materials and workshops, such as planning and putting together materials for PEAC²E program orientations, information sessions, and other workshops.
- Supporting PEAC²E students in developing their educational plan (i.e. program maps), including evaluating AP scores, and external transcripts/coursework.
- Providing guidance on transferring to a four-year college, and connecting with resources for transfer; may include planning and attending university campus tours.
- Providing guidance on resources and tools for career and job exploration (i.e. Career Transfer Center, Pathway U, etc.).
- Providing a “warm” handoff to resources and programs within the college (i.e. tutoring, financial aid, etc.).
- Assisting in the planning and coordination of campus cultural and student engagement events for PEAC²E students.
- Communicating with the PEAC²E Success Coach to support and implement retention plans for high risk students.
- Attending PEAC²E team meetings to provide feedback on processes and identify methods for improvement.
- Providing personal counseling related to racial trauma, anxiety, depression, transitions in life, conflict, stress, grief and loss, parenting, and addiction.
- Refering students to mental health counseling as needed.
- Being available during the day and evenings for ad hoc counseling sessions with students, and travel to the centers (El Dorado Center and Rancho Cordova Center) as needed.
8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., Monday – Friday (on Campus)
Occasional evening hours may be required for special events.
The assignment may include day, evening, online, hybrid, weekend, and/or off-campus classes/hours.
Total Hrs per Week/Day
To be determined.
Interested individuals will be asked to commit to the entire 0.5 FTE during Spring 2023, and be willing to participate in the appropriate training sessions to become familiar with the objectives and goals of the PEAC²E program. As a program that aims to provide case management for specific students, anyone submitting their interest for this position should be fully vested in getting to know the students who will be served by this program, and have a good understanding of program-specific needs and the students’ lived experiences.
Have eperience with Zoom and other online meeting tools.
- Master’s in counseling, rehabilitation counseling, clinical psychology, counseling psychology, guidance counseling, educational counseling, social work, career development, marriage and family therapy or marriage, family and child counseling, OR the equivalent. All degrees must be from an accredited institution, completed by January 16, 2023 .
- Two years of experience as an academic counselor.
- Have an equity-minded focus, responsiveness, and sensitivity to
and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural,
disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic
backgrounds of community college students, including those with
physical or learning disabilities as it relates to differences in
learning styles; and successfully foster and support an inclusive
educational and employment environment.
- If your degree title differs from the minimum qualifications listed above, you are requested to apply under the “equivalent” provision.
- Applicants applying under the “equivalent” provision must attach details and explain how their academic preparation and/or professional experience is the equivalent of the degrees/minimum qualifications listed above. Please visit our website for information on, and a sample letter for the equivalency determination process .
Applicants applying to this position are REQUIRED to complete and submit:
- A Los Rios Community College District Application
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- Letter of Interest
- Unofficial Transcripts of College/University Work
- Applications submitted without all required documents, listed above, will be disqualified.
- Applicants indicating “see resume” on the application will not have that referenced experience considered for minimum qualifications, which may lead to the application being disqualified.
- Applicants, including current Los Rios Community College District employees, are required to provide official transcripts, if required to meet the minimum qualifications for the position.
- Applicants are required to submit official transcripts within 60 days of the time of hire.
- Graduate advising documents and grade reports will not be accepted as official transcripts.
- Individuals who have completed college or university course work at an institution in a country other than the United States must obtain a complete evaluation of foreign transcripts, degrees, and other relevant documents.
- A foreign transcript evaluation is required any time foreign course work is used to meet minimum qualifications and/or salary placement even if the foreign transcript has been accepted by a college or university in the United States.
- Foreign transcript evaluations are ONLY accepted from AICE (Association of International Credential Evaluations, Inc.) or NACES (The National Association of Credential Evaluation Services) agencies or evaluators. For additional information on foreign transcript evaluations click here .
Posting Detail Information
Beginning On (or About)
Part-time, Counselor Position*
Beginning on (or about) January 16, 2023 through June 30, 2023.
*The FTE for this position may be offered for subsequent semesters pending funding availability and administrative approval.
Ending Date, if LTT
How and where to apply
Please visit our Frequently Asked Questions for complete information on how to apply online with our District. If you need assistance with any phase of the application process, please call (916) 568-3112 during regular business hours 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. PST, Monday through Friday.
After hour inquiries should be emailed to HR@losrios.edu. Submission of applications are by 11:59 p.m., of the posting closing date.
Offers of employment are contingent upon the successful clearance from a criminal background check, freedom from tuberculosis, and proof of identity and eligibility to work in the United States prior to the first day of work. The District may select additional qualified candidates should unexpected vacancies or needs occur. When education is a requirement for the position, official academic transcripts from the accredited college/university must be submitted within 60 days of hire.
For the latest information on Los Rios Community College’s COVID -19 protocol, please visit COVID -19 Updates .
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Can you perform the essential functions of the position you
are applying to with or without reasonable accommodations?
- * I acknowledge and agree that I understand that by answering
the question below, I certify that the information provided by me
is true, correct and complete to the best of my knowledge and
belief. I authorize investigation of all statements contained
herein, and on the P-881 (if applicable and submitted), and I
release from liability all persons and organizations furnishing
such information. I understand that any misstatements, omissions or
misrepresentation of facts on this form, my application, and, if
applicable, the P-881 or attachment(s) may be cause for
disqualification or dismissal. If you have ever been convicted of
an offense other than a minor traffic violation you are required to
complete the form 'Arrests Which Led to Convictions for Crime',
P-881 (you must disclose convictions that have been dismissed
pursuant to Penal Code Section 1203.4; Ed. Code 87008). If needed
click on the link and download the form
https://losrios.edu/lrccd/shared/doc/hr/forms/p-881.pdf and attach
the completed form to your application.
- Yes, I acknowledge and agree
- No, I do not acknowledge or agree
- No answer
- * Please indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for
this position. Select the appropriate answer.
- I possess the minimum qualifications for this discipline as listed on the job announcement. (Attach unofficial transcripts from an accredited college/university and/or evidence of job experience.)
- I possess a valid California Community College Credential for this discipline. (Attach a copy of appropriate credential with application.)
- I possess qualifications equivalent to those listed and have attached evidence. (To review Equivalency Process.)
- I have previously been granted equivalency to teach this discipline by the Los Rios Community College District. (Attach the Equivalency Determination Form P-38 and transcripts.)
- * Considering this specific position that you are applying to –
where/how did you learn about this position?
- College Department
- Chronicle of Higher Ed
- Community College Registry Online Job Board
- Community Outreach (ex. Festivals, etc.)
- LRCCD Resource Group - Comunidad
- D'Primeramano Magazine
- Facebook (Campaign)
- Facebook (Los Rios Page)
- Greater Sacramento Urban League
- Job Sites
- Job Journal
- Latina Leadership Network of the California Community Colleges
- Los Rios Community College District Employee
- Los Rios Community College District Human Resources Email
- Los Rios Community College District Website
- LRCCD Resource Group - Asian Pacific Islander Legacy (API)
- LRCCD Resource Group - Black Faculty & Staff Association (BFSA)
- LRCCD Resource Group - Native American Collaborative (NAC)
- LRCCD Resource Group - Spectrum (LGBTQIA+)
- Sacramento Black Chamber of Commerce
- Sacramento Asian Chamber of Commerce
- Sacramento Builders Exchange
- Sacramento Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
- Sacramento Rainbow Chamber of Commerce
- Sacramento Works
- The HUB
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Letter of Interest
- Unofficial Transcript 1
- Unofficial Transcript 2
- Unofficial Transcript 3
- Unofficial Transcript 4
- Unofficial Transcript 5
- Foreign Transcript Evaluation
- P-881 Report of Arrests Which Led To Convictions For Crime Document
- Equivalency Determination Letter (P-38 or Equivalency Request Statement)
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert