Paint Shop Supervisor
- Vassar College
- New York, United States
- Salary Not specified
- Posted Date
- Jan 4, 2023
- Position Type
- Administrative, Business & Administrative Affairs, Facilities Management & Physical Plant
- Employment Level
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Paint Shop Supervisor
Department: Facilities Operations
Duration of Position: Full year / Full time
Work Schedule: Monday-Friday 7:30am-4:00pm
Employee Type: Administrator
Posting Date: 09/02/2022
Union Representation: Not Applicable
Posting Number: AS275P
About Vassar College
Located in the scenic Mid-Hudson Valley, Vassar College is a highly selective, residential, coeducational liberal arts college. Vassar is deeply committed to fostering a community that reflects the values of a liberal arts education and to promoting an environment of equality, diversity and inclusiveness. Vassar seeks to create a pluralistic community for all staff, faculty and students. Vassar College is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity employer, and applications from women, individuals with disabilities, veterans, and members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged.Vassar College is a smoke-free, tobacco-free campus.Note: Vassar College has a universal vaccination policy requiring a COVID-19 vaccination, including a booster, for all employees except for those exempt for medical or religious reasons.
Position Summary and Responsibilities
Reporting to the Manager of Custodial Services, the Paint Shop Supervisor is responsible for the supervision of paint shop employees to ensure the quality painting finishes of campus facilities. The Paint Shop Supervisor provides effective leadership to cultivate and promote a positive service environment.
- Monitors and determines the painting needs of the college and ensures that resources are available for projects and assignments. This position supervises, plans, and schedules work for the paint shop, inspects finished product, ensures the availability of paint supplies required for the task and project, generates work requests, assigns and distributes work, and coordinates work with other trades and contractors to complete building and painting needs.
- Performs all duties in a safe and professional manner and in accordance with established Vassar College and departmental policies and procedures.
- Investigating complaints of unsatisfactory painting performance and taking appropriate corrective action.
- Responsible for the upkeep of all tools and maintain all Vassar owned equipment assigned to the employee.
- Training employees on proper methods and use of materials and equipment for safe and efficient work performance.
- Ensuring painting staff carry out tasks safely in accordance with OSHA standards, and in a professional manner with minimal disruption to campus programming, activities and operations.
- Maintain a safe and clean working environment daily.
- Review and approval of timesheets and time off requests.
- Responsible for communicating and working effectively with other trades.
- Performs other duties as assigned to assist the department in obtaining and maintaining its mission.
- High school diploma, vocational training or equivalent required.
- A minimum of five (5) years of related work experience and three (3) of supervisory experience.
- Extensive experience as a skilled painter.
- Must be knowledgeable in the use of various equipment and power tools and their maintenance relative to all scopes of painting.
- Comprehensive knowledge and practices of the painting trade.
- Thorough knowledge of the methods of preparing materials and surfaces for painting.
- Ability to plan and supervise the work of others.
- Requires ability to communicate effectively in English, including understanding, speaking, reading and writing. Good interpersonal skills.
- Ability to follow written and verbal instructions and work independently as well as in a team environment.
- Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license.
- Must be able to perform repeated bending, squatting, stooping, pushing, and pulling.
- Must be able to stand and walk for a prolonged period of time.
- Must be able to move, position, place and transport objects up to and including 75 pounds.
- Must be able to ascend and descend ladders and scaffolding.
- Willingness to work weekends as needs.
Special Instructions to Applicants
To complete your on-line application, you will be required to attach your resume, cover letter, and contact information for 3 professional references. All attachments must be in PDF format. Review of applications will begin immediately. If you have any questions, please contact Human Resources, 845-437-5820.
For full consideration applicants should apply by:
All applicants must apply online at: https://employment.vassar.edu/postings/2823.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert