Senior Associate Vice Provost for Research, Strategy and Operations
- Tufts University
- Boston, Massachusetts
- Based on experience + benefits
- Posted Date
- Jan 4, 2023
The Office of the Vice Provost of Research (OVPR) provides the key services necessary to deliver exceptional results in research. To learn more about the OVPR visit: https://viceprovost.tufts.edu/about-ovpr
What You'll Do
Tufts University invites nominations and applications for the position of Senior Associate Vice Provost (AVP) for Research, Strategy and Operations.
Reporting to the Vice Provost for Research (VPR), the AVP for Research, Strategy and Operations serves as a vital member of the executive leadership team for the OVPR. The AVP will execute strategies to drive, advance, and support the university's research interests in close collaboration with campus leadership. They will lead a team of staff focused on growing the funded research portfolio of the university and will serve as a liaison to external research partnerships at the local, regional and national level, to include maintaining close working relationships with federal, state, congressional and industry partners. The AVP will also work directly with the VPR to ensure all programs are well planned, marketed, produced, and evaluated for institutional success.
The AVP for Research, Strategy and Operations must be a collaborative, dynamic and transformational leader with an understanding of higher education and a clear forward-looking vision.
Principle duties include:
- Manages day-to-day operations of strategic research development programming and partnership development initiatives. Provides oversight of internal grants programs and strategic investments, ensuring return on investment is captured and reported
- Leads the development and implementation of research strategic plans and associated strategic initiatives. Supports the research enterprise in reaching performance metrics, including increased research expenditure, increased research grant and scholarly awards and increased industry income
- Designs and maintains analytic tools to monitor performance of initiatives, communicates key findings and identifies system level trends in research performance
- Fosters external research partnerships, to include securing grants, contracts, agreements and public/private partnerships in support of institutional initiatives. Leads federal and congressional partnership initiatives, to include coordination of DC delegations, campus site visits, conferences, and teleconferences with officials to enhance the institution’s research profile
- Provides business and research development support for research Centers and Institutes. Provides guidance and support for faculty and researcher professional development and assists in the coordination of efforts towards faculty recruitment, cluster hiring initiatives and efforts for faculty retention
- Serves as a facilitator of multi- and inter-disciplinary research between internal and external research stakeholders
- Evaluates all programs to support development and timely submission of project reports to affiliated parties
- Responsible for effectively managing staff resources, establishing goals, coaching, monitoring, and appraising performance, and ensuring professional development
What We're Looking For
In addition, each applicant must provide as separate attachments to the online application a detailed curriculum vitae or resume, a cover letter, and a diversity statement.
The cover letter should address the applicant’s qualifications and experience for this role.
The search committee will review nominations and applications until the position is filled. However, to ensure full consideration, applicants are encouraged to submit materials by January 31, 2023. The anticipated starting date for the position is Spring 2023.
- Knowledge and skills as typically acquired through completion of Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution
- A minimum of ten years of progressively responsible experience in research development, strategic program management or management consulting
- Demonstrated extensive experience in executive leadership, collaboration, administration, leading business process improvement, organizational change initiatives and information systems implementations
- A deep commitment to higher education, the capacity to set priorities and manage multiple projects concurrently, and the ability to work closely with others in a team environment
- Overall understanding of the role of the research enterprise in a major research university
- Master’s degree in Business or Public Administration or another related field
- Leadership experience in higher education
An employee in this position must complete all appropriate background checks at the time of hire, promotion, or transfer.
Equal Opportunity Employer - minority/females/veterans/disability/sexual orientation/gender identity.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert