- Governors State University
- Illinois, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Jan 3, 2023
- Position Type
- Administrative, Business & Administrative Affairs, Business & Administrative Support, Student Affairs, Career Services, Disabled Student Services, Other Student Affairs
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Position's Functional Title
Position Start Date
Position End Date (if temporary)
Governors State University is seeking to hire an Officer Manager for the Career Services department to work under administrative guidance, manager reception/front office area and provide supervision of student workers. The Office Manager will perform client service and referral functions; manager office budget, ordering supplies, room reservations, scheduling, answering phones, and assist with management of Handshake and the first destination survey within Handshake. Maintaining confidentiality is an essential function of this position.
• Greet students and other visitors, answer incoming calls.
• Hire and train student workers for office coverage, maintain student schedules, ensure coverage during lunch hours, rush periods, and evening hours after 5:00 p.m. two nights a week. Train student workers to set appointments. Train student workers and graduate assistants on key office issues, especially but not limited to confidentiality, general career services issues, and professional behavior.
• Assist with graduate assistant and student worker contracts, create all purchase requisitions, arrange conference registrations, including airfare, hotel arrangements, print shop orders, physical plant requests, and inventory control documentation.
• Coordinate communication with internal and external vendors if necessary to ensure timely completion of work and appropriate follow-up. Order supplies for the office as necessary.
Referrals: Individual in this position must be able to autonomously serve student, alumni, and other visitor’s needs in a consultative role by providing point of access services including:
• Make appropriate referrals.
• Determine the appropriate staff member or function in making a referral to staff resources.
• Train the reception staff to schedule appointments based upon assessing student, alumni, and other constituent needs.
Website and Handshake administration:
• Update the career services website as needed.
• Manage and maintain the handshake platform, which includes approving or denying employer access and assisting with any handshake questions employers or students may have.
• Serve as the administrative support for employers and career services to implement handshake virtual events.
• Assist with running first destination surveys for recent graduates each semester via handshake
• Assist if needed with compiling the NACE first destination report once a year
Departmental Budget Management:
• Monitor departmental budget for spending patterns and fund availability.
• Devise spreadsheet to cross reference budget activity with the portal to ensure accuracy.
• Supervise ordering of computers, supplies, and office machine maintenance; handle work with vendors to ensure the timely completion of work and the appropriate follow-up.
• Serve as inventory control coordinator; manage and maintain the Office of Career Services inventory.
• Manage flow of deliveries and office work.
• Manage office space by keeping the office area tidy, replenishing hard copy materials available to visitors, etc.
• Assists with questions and problems courteously and promptly.
*Salary is commensurate with experience and education.
(This is a non-unionized position. Salary starts at the base and is determined based on Education and Experience exceeding the minimum qualifications).
This position qualifies for an expansive suite of fringe benefits including, various insurance options, paid time off, retirement and investment options, and tuition waivers. Visit: https://www.govst.edu/benefits/ .
REQUIRED : DOCUMENTATION CONFIRMING HIGH SCHOOL COMPLETION OR EQUIVALENT MUST BE ATTACHED FOR CONSIDERATION OF THIS POSITION, COLLEGE / UNIVERSITY TRANSCRIPTS MAY BE SUBSTITUTED (See “Special instructions to applicants” section below).
1. Must be a resident of the State of Illinois
2. High school graduation or equivalent
3. Two (2) years of work experience comparable to the third level ( Office Support Specialist) of this series.
1. Any one or combination totaling eighteen (18) months from the categories below.
A. College coursework in any curriculum as measured by the following conversion table or its
- 30 semester hours = one (1) year (12 months)
- Associate degree (60 semester hours) = eighteen months (18 months)
B. Work experience performing office/clerical activities, including the use of computer systems.
EXAM TYPE : CREDENTIAL ASSESSMENT ( YOU DO NOT NEED TO COME IN FOR THIS TEST ).
For more details for this classification, visit: https://www.sucss.illinois.gov/pages/classspec/Detail.aspx?tblClassIndexID=4233.
1. Work experience in higher education.
2. Knowledgeable in Excel, Word, PowerPoint
3. Extensive knowledge of office support and general office practices and procedures
4. Ability to keyboard accurately at a rate of 40 net w.p.m.
5. Extensive knowledge of spelling, grammar, punctuation, sentence and paragraph structure, and formatting
6. Skill in oral and written communication
7. Ability to utilize various software packages
8. Ability to work independently and exercise judgment in order to be able to analyze and investigate a variety of questions or problems
9. Ability to organize and supervise the work of others
Open Until Filled
Type of Search
Quicklink for Posting
Special Instructions to Applicants
DOCUMENTATION REQUIREMENT :
For consideration, applicants are required to attach the following:
1: Documentation confirming High School completion or equivalent ( COLLEGE / UNIVERSITY TRANSCRIPTS MAY BE SUBSTITUTED ).
2: Online Application – Must be fully completed, include all dates of employment, employment status (full-time or if part-time, include percentages), job duties and responsibilities (full details).
3: Cover Letter.
5: A list of three Professional References (We will only contact your references if you are a finalist).
RESIDENCY REQUIREMENT :
Illinois residency required.
CREDENTIAL ASSESSMENT EXAM DETAILS :
This vacancy involves a Credential Assessment Examination which consist of a review and rating of the applicants Education, Experience, Licenses, and other qualifications. Applicants are required to provide electronic documentation as listed above to verify that the minimum qualifications for this position has been met.
VETERAN’S PREFERENCE POINTS :
Veterans may be eligible to receive additional points on a passing final examination score. To determine eligibility, submit one of the following documents to the Department of Human Resources:
1: Department of Defense – DD214 / DD215
2: National Guard – NGB22 Form
3: Discharge Orders
4: Reserves – DD256 Discharge Certificate
Note: Documentation must be received by the closing date of this posting.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Cover Letter
- List of Three Professional References
- High School Diploma or GED
- Current Illinois Driver's License or Identification Card
- Veteran’s/Military Preference Points Documentation
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert