Muskegon Community College
Named the 19th Best Community College in the U.S. in 2021, Muskegon
offers accredited academic programs leading to 54 associate degrees
and 32 certificates. As an Achieving the Dream Leader College,
MCC’s nationally recognized commitment to student success unites
its faculty and staff in their mission to prepare students, build
communities and improve lives.
One of Michigan’s most picturesque community colleges, the Muskegon
main campus building - an award-winning Alden Dow design - spans
Four Mile Creek on a 15-acre sylvan setting. The campus boasts
several new multimillion-dollar facilities - the Health and
Wellness Center, the Science Center and the Art and Music Building
- and includes University Park Golf Course and the Carr-Fles
Planetarium. The Sturrus Technology Center in historic downtown
Muskegon is home to state-of-the-art applied technology offerings,
the Rooks|Sarnicola Entrepreneur Center and the Lakeshore Fab Lab.
MCC offers classes in adjacent Ottawa and Newaygo Counties.
Muskegon Community College provides excellent benefits options for
our faculty and staff. Below is an overview of our full time
employee benefit options.
• Choice between three health insurance plan options (includes a
high deductible plan with a health savings account option).
• Employer provided dental, vision, life insurance and long term
• Employer-sponsored retirement plans including state Pension or
14% Retirement Contribution to TIAA (differs by group).
• Voluntary retirement savings plan options (403b or 457
• Tuition benefits at MCC for you and your eligible
• Generous time off plans.
• Paid holidays and holiday closure period in late December.
• Onsite Fitness Center at the Main Campus & discounts to
University Park Golf Course
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Open until filled- first review January
Starting Range: 40,000-52,000 Depending on
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Business Administration,
or related field required.
- At least one year of general human resource experience
- Human Resource certification is preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to relate to people of all ages, races,
and social-economic backgrounds.
- Demonstrated effective & professional written, oral and
presentation communication skills with both internal and external
audiences both one on one and in large group settings.
- Excellent interpersonal, negotiation, and conflict resolution
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail, time
management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated use of tact, judgment and discretion and the
ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Demonstrated ability to work as part of a successful team while
accomplishing tasks and assignments without assistance, even while
- Highly motivated and solution oriented with a high degree of
integrity, ethics and dedication to the mission of the
- High proficiency in demonstration of office technology
including Microsoft Office Suite, software, & equipment.
Ability and willingness to upgrade skills including technology or
- Demonstrated ability to build working relationships with
external and internal constituents.
- Must be adaptable and flexible to changes in tasks, processes
- Ability to act with integrity, professionalism, and
- Thorough knowledge of employment-related laws and
- Proficiency with or the ability to quickly learn the
organization’s HRIS, talent management, and LMS systems.
Physical, Mental, and Environment Requirements
- Assists with employee recruitment. Responsible for posting job
opening announcements to the MCC website, and local & national
advertisers, as needed.
- Serves as an administrator on multiple HR systems as assigned
including performance evaluations, applicant tracking, etc. and
- First point of contact handling employment-related inquiries
with exceptional service referring complex and/or sensitive matters
to the appropriate staff. Interacts with college employees,
students, applicants, or outside contacts to provide information,
solve routine problems, or otherwise respond to requests.
- Recruits and facilitates the hiring of qualified student job
applicants for open positions.
- Conducts or acquires background checks and any employee
eligibility verifications or screenings, establishes and ensures
human resource files are complete including digital files.
- Oversees, tracks, and documents compliance of training. This
may include safety training, anti-harassment training, professional
licensure, and aptitude exams and certifications.
- May oversee the scheduling, assignments, and daily work of
student or other assigned staff in the department.
- Supports, implements and tracks new hire orientation, employee
recognition programs and HR related events.
- May attend and participate in employee disciplinary meetings,
terminations, and investigations.
- Ensures compliance with federal, state, and local employment
laws and regulations, including recommending best practices.
- Reviews and responds as appropriate to notices and requests for
information from the unemployment office, keeps staff and
administration informed of issues.
- Composes original correspondence and letters, weekly HR college
wide communications, memos, reports, forms, charts, or other
documents. Supports/maintains HR social media presence.
- Assists in labor contract negotiations preparations. Maintains
and updates collective bargaining agreement for college unionized
- Responsible for organizing and maintaining policy and procedure
- Manages projects as assigned and participates in functional and
- Provides backup for other Human Resource functions or projects
- Performs other duties as assigned.
☐ Detailed Work
☒ Student Contact
☒ Deadline oriented
☒ Problem Situations
☒ Multiple Priorities & Demands
☒ Emergency Situations
☐ On-call Availability
☒ Continual Interruptions
☒ Working Alone
☒ Faculty Contact
☒ Working with Others
☐ Standing & Walking
☐ Lifting up to 10 lbs. ☐ Up to 25 lbs. ☐ Up to 50 lbs. ☐ 80 +
☐ Pushing, Pulling, Twisting, Bending
☐ Climb or Balance
☐ Stoop, Kneel, Crouch, or Crawl
☒ Handle or Feel
☐ Reach with Hands and Arms
☒ Talking or hearing
☐ Working Overhead
☒ Speak in English via Phone or In Person
☒ Close, Distance, Peripheral, and Color Vision along with Depth
☒ Ability to Adjust and Focus
☐ Exposure to wet, humid conditions (non-weather), fumes or
airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals; extreme heat/cold;
and moderate to loud noise levels.
☒ Normal Office environment with little, if, any, discomfort due to
heat, dust, noise and the like. Ability to travel to all campus
Muskegon Community College continues to promote staff
diversity, and is an equal opportunity employer.
MCC does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion,
sex, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, gender
identity, transgender status, political persuasion, disability,
height, weight, veteran status, age or any other protected class in
any of its educational programs, activities or employment.
Minorities, women, veterans, and the physically challenged
are encouraged to apply. Anyone with a disability will be
reasonably accommodated by the College. If you have a disability
and need an accommodation or assistance in applying for this
position, please contact the Human Resources Office.
Michigan, United States