Application Developer B/C (Hybrid Eligible)
- University of Pennsylvania
- Pennsylvania, United States
- Salary Not specified
- Posted Date
- Jan 3, 2023
- Position Type
- Administrative, Business & Administrative Affairs, Computer Services & Information Technology
- Employment Level
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Application Developer B/C (Hybrid Eligible)
The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn's distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning. As an employer Penn has been ranked nationally on many occasions with the most recent award from Forbes who named Penn one of America's Best Employers By State in 2021.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.
COVID-19 vaccination is a requirement for all positions at the University of Pennsylvania. New hires are expected to be fully vaccinated before beginning work at the University. For more information about Penn's vaccine requirements, visit the Penn COVID-19 Response website for the latest information.
Posted Job Title
Application Developer B/C (Hybrid Eligible)
Job Profile Title
Application Developer B
Job Description Summary
Interested in growing your technical skill set to enable the educational and research missions of a university? Are you eager to write code and develop solutions that provide highly valued business needs for all of Wharton? Are you seeking an employer who values both your time at work, and away from it?
We encourage all who value an inclusive and growth-oriented environment to apply for this position.
We are looking for a team member who is:
* Self-motivated and passionate about developing technical solutions through code
* Collaborative with other team members, being both able to learn from - and teach - their peers
* Flexible, and able to jump in and work fluidly and proactively if priorities or requirements shift
* Looking for a challenge to develop new skills, as well as demonstrate existing ones
As an Application Developer in Wharton Computing, you will be responsible for the development, monitoring, and ongoing maintenance of several web applications used by Wharton students, faculty, staff and alumni. Specifically, as a member of the Enterprise Solutions and Services Development Core Team, you will also develop and maintain libraries, processes, system configuration and application workflows that other developers at the school make use of. When needed, you will work with other developers, project managers and constituents across Wharton to determine functional requirements, design interfaces and databases, code, test, debug, maintain and document applications. You will also make use of several industry-standard tools, APIs and enterprise integrations, and determine their fit for use and incorporate them as needed throughout your applications. An understanding of data integrity and security standards is paramount, and you will ensure applications have the necessary authentication and authorization for their intended users, and general security best practices are adhered to throughout your code. You will also monitor and administer applications during periods of peak usage, providing first and second-tier support through email and tickets, forming part of a rotating on-call team that responds to application requests and issues in week-long shifts.
Application Developer B:
Bachelor's degree and at least 1 year of relevant experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience
* Understanding of, and experience working with at least one web application framework, e.g. Django (Python)
* Experience with APIs (e.g. REST, GraphQL) and integrating them into web applications
* Basic knowledge of relational databases (e.g. Microsoft SQL Server), SQL and database design
* Aware of security and privacy best practices in relation to application design
* Understanding of version control systems (Git) and code repository platforms (e.g. Bitbucket, GitHub)
* Ability to communicate clearly and effectively with colleagues and users, both written and verbal
* Demonstrated ability to troubleshoot technical issues with applications design and development
* Desire to learn new non-/technical skills and apply them
* Experience with one or more continuous integration tools (e.g. Jenkins) preferred * Familiarity with Agile development practices (Scrum/Kanban) and related tools (e.g. Jira) preferred
* Knowledge of authentication, authorization and broader Identity and Access Management (IAM) principles preferred
* Familiarity working with cloud service providers (Amazon Web Services) and related services (e.g. S3, RDS, EC2, Lambda) preferred
For an Application Developer C, all of the above and a bachelor's degree and at least 2 years of relevant experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience are required, along with:
* Experience with requirements gathering, project management and leading development efforts on a team
* Demonstrated ability to teach and guide other developers on best practices of application design and architecture
* Experience with at least one scripting language (e.g. Bash, PowerShell, Python) and command-line tools
* Familiarity building services as Infrastructure as Code using industry-standard tools (e.g. Terraform, CloudFormation) preferred
* Familiarity with configuration management tools (e.g. Ansible, Chef, Puppet) preferred
Job Location - City, State
Hybrid Eligible - This position is eligible for a hybrid work schedule with a work week divided between working onsite and working remotely.
Department / School
$43,919.00 - $90,263.00
Salary offers are made based on the candidate's qualifications, experience, skills, and education as they directly relate to the requirements of the position, as well as internal and market factors and grade profile.
Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.
- Health, Life, and Flexible Spending Accounts: Penn
offers comprehensive medical, prescription, behavioral health,
dental, vision, and life insurance benefits to protect you and your
family's health and welfare. You can also use flexible spending
accounts to pay for eligible health care and dependent care
expenses with pre-tax dollars.
- Tuition: Take advantage of Penn's exceptional tuition
benefits. You, your spouse, and your dependent children can get
tuition assistance here at Penn. Your dependent children are also
eligible for tuition assistance at other institutions.
- Retirement: Penn offers generous retirement plans to
help you save for your future. Penn's Basic, Matching, and
Supplemental retirement plans allow you to save for retirement on a
pre-tax or Roth basis. Choose from a wide variety of investment
options through TIAA and Vanguard.
- Time Away from Work: Penn provides you with a
substantial amount of time away from work during the course of the
year. This allows you to relax, take vacations, attend to personal
affairs, recover from illness or injury, spend time with
family—whatever your personal needs may be.
- Long-Term Care Insurance: In partnership with Genworth
Financial, Penn offers faculty and staff (and your eligible family
members) long-term care insurance to help you cover some of the
costs of long-term care services received at home, in the community
or in a nursing facility. If you apply when you're newly hired, you
won't have to provide proof of good health or be subject to
underwriting requirements. Eligible family members must always
provide proof of good health and are subject to
- Wellness and Work-life Resources: Penn is committed to
supporting our faculty and staff as they balance the competing
demands of work and personal life. That's why we offer a wide
variety of programs and resources to help you care for your health,
your family, and your work-life balance.
- Professional and Personal Development: Penn provides an
array of resources to help you advance yourself personally and
- University Resources: As a member of the Penn community,
you have access to a wide range of University resources as well as
cultural and recreational activities. Take advantage of the
University's libraries and athletic facilities, or visit our
arboretum and art galleries. There's always something going on at
Penn, whether it's a new exhibit at the Penn Museum, the latest
music or theater presentation at the Annenberg Center, or the Penn
Relays at Franklin Field to name just a few examples. As a member
of the Penn community, you're right in the middle of the
excitement—and you and your family can enjoy many of these
activities for free.
- Discounts and Special Services: From arts and
entertainment to transportation and mortgages, you'll find great
deals for University faculty and staff. Not only do Penn arts and
cultural centers and museums offer free and discounted admission
and memberships to faculty and staff. You can also enjoy
substantial savings on other goods and services such as new cars
from Ford and General Motors, cellular phone service plans, movie
tickets, and admission to theme parks.
- Flexible Work Hours: Flexible work options offer
creative approaches for completing work while promoting balance
between work and personal commitments. These approaches involve use
of non-traditional work hours, locations, and/or job
- Penn Home Ownership Services: Penn offers a forgivable
loan for eligible employees interested in buying a home or
currently residing in West Philadelphia, which can be used for
closing costs or home improvements.
- Adoption Assistance: Penn will reimburse eligible
employees on qualified expenses in connection with the legal
adoption of an eligible child, such as travel or court fees, for up
to two adoptions in your household.
To learn more, please visit: https://www.hr.upenn.edu/PennHR/benefits-pay
To apply, visit https://wd1.myworkdaysite.com/en-US/recruiting/upenn/careers-at-penn/job/Tangen-Hall---6th-Floor/Application-Developer-B-C--Hybrid-Eligible-_JR00063533
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert