Director, Future of Healthcare Founder Residency
- Northeastern University
- Massachusetts, United States
- Salary Not specified
- Posted Date
- Dec 30, 2022
- Position Type
- Administrative, Student Affairs, Health Services
- Employment Level
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Director, Future of Healthcare Founder Residency
About the Opportunity
The Roux Institute's Venture Creation and Acceleration platform supports high-growth ventures and founders that have the potential to fundamentally alter the way we live and work for the better. Our companies have raised over $15MM in outside venture capital in the last 18 months.
Our flagship Founder Residency brings 10 high-growth, early-stage entrepreneurs to the Roux Institute and surrounds them with the talent, mentorship, and access to capital they need to succeed. We work hand-in-hand with these companies to accelerate their growth. These start-ups are solving the world's most pressing challenges related to software, hardware, advanced supply chain, advanced manufacturing, biotech, and computational medicine.
As part of our mission to catalyze and grow the healthcare sector in Maine, we have partnered with top health care systems in Maine to launch a Future of Healthcare Founder Residency.
We are seeking a Director with deep healthcare and entrepreneurial experience to lead our Future of Healthcare Founder Residency. You will lead implementation and execution across all aspects of Residency, including recruitment and selection of companies, day-to-day program management, and brand-building for the program. You will work with our team and our partners to facilitate customer discovery, mentorship, and potential pilot opportunities. Your goal is to run a program that gives our health entrepreneurs the greatest chance of success.
You will also be responsible for supporting and driving the Roux Institute's entrepreneurial programming focused on building Maine's health care startup ecosystem. You will work to infuse entrepreneurship into the various learning and research initiatives that we are developing in the healthcare space at the Roux Institute. You will ensure that Maine becomes recognized as a national leader in healthcare innovation.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES & ACCOUNTABILITIES:
Recruitment and Selection
- Work with our partners and Roux Institute Leadership to develop the investment thesis for each cohort
- “Scour the ends of the earth” to identify the top 100 prospects to join our Future of Healthcare Founder Residency here in Maine every year
- Build a strong brand to attract the best entrepreneurs to our program
- Conduct robust due diligence on applicants, including outreach with subject-matter experts
- Organize Screening Committee with partners to advise on selection
- Select 10 companies to participate in Future of Healthcare Founder Residency each year
- Attend industry events to increase awareness of Founder Residency within the healthcare and startups industries
- Bring in the top experts in the world to give workshops and implement the Founder Residency incubation curriculum
- Bring in relevant experienced Founders to tell their story to the entrepreneurs in the Residency
- Meet regularly with the entrepreneurs to assess their progress and help them advance in their journey
- Provide tailored advice to our Founders
- Make connections to technical experts and potential customers for our Founders where helpful
- Do whatever it takes within the scope of the role to ensure our entrepreneurs are successful
- Create support systems to engage our alumni entrepreneurs throughout their entire company lifecycle
- Measure and track success and economic impact of our portfolio companies
Additional Mission Aligned Activity:
- Work with our Venture Mentor Network to recruit the best mentors to support our entrepreneurs
- Facilitate the matching of mentors and entrepreneurs during our Mentor Match process
- Cultivate our investor and partner network to ensure our entrepreneurs have access to the right investor or partner at the right time to scale their business
- Support and Further the Roux Institute Mission through speaking events and other activities as they arise.
- Serve as a key contributor on health-related Roux Institute programs
- Participate in ad-hoc strategic meetings with partners and philanthropic supporters
- Act as an EIR to support relevant Roux Research & Student Projects
Successful candidates will possess the following skills, dispositions, experience, and qualifications.
- 7+ years experience of leadership experience in healthcare, biotech, or related field
- Experience working with startups, either as a founder, early employee, advisor, or investor
- True believer in the power of startups to change the world for the better
- Driven to succeed - relentless effort applied to achieve success for the companies you support
- Passion for supporting and helping entrepreneurs
- Resource magnet - Ability to bring together talent and resources to execute a project
- You get energy from meeting people and making connections that are mutually beneficial
- Strong interpersonal skills - you bring out the best in people
- The ability to adjust priorities quickly and efficiently
- The ability to present to external audiences and be an ambassador for the Roux Institute with a diverse set of stakeholders within partners
- Culturally responsive mindset
- Sense of humor and enthusiasm
- Ability to quickly learn new software tools
- Bachelor's Degree
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Previously raising or working in Venture Capital
- Successfully exited a company that you founded
- Advanced degree (MS or PhD) in a technical field
- Proficiency in Salesforce, Excel, and using LinkedIn for deal-sourcing
The Roux Institute is strongly committed to fostering excellence through diversity and recognizes the strength that diversity in all its forms brings to the research endeavor. We invite applications from all qualified candidates and enthusiastically welcome applications from women, minorities, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression.
Northeastern University considers factors such as candidate work experience, education and skills when extending an offer.
Northeastern has a comprehensive benefits package for benefit eligible employees. This includes medical, vision, dental, paid time off, tuition assistance, wellness & life, retirement- as well as commuting & transportation. Visit www.northeastern.edu/benefits for more information.
Northeastern University is an equal opportunity employer, seeking to recruit and support a broadly diverse community of faculty and staff. Northeastern values and celebrates diversity in all its forms and strives to foster an inclusive culture built on respect that affirms inter-group relations and builds cohesion.
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
To learn more about Northeastern University's commitment and support of diversity and inclusion, please see www.northeastern.edu/diversity.
To apply, visit https://northeastern.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/careers/job/Portland-ME/Director--Future-of-Healthcare-Founder-Residency_R106477-1
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert