Associate Vice President - Research Compliance
- UConn / UConn Health
- 06030, Farmington and 06269, Storrs
- Posted Date
- Dec 30, 2022
- Position Type
- Administrative, Academic Affairs, Research Administration, Executive, Other Executive
- Employment Level
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Position Summary: The University of Connecticut Health Center (UConn Health) seeks a highly motivated, well-qualified individual to serve as the Associate Vice President of Research Integrity and Compliance, reporting directly to the Vice President for Research and having a dotted-line reporting relationship to UConn Health Executive Vice President of Health Affairs (EVPHA). The Associate Vice President of Research Compliance will oversee an office for research integrity and assurance, which is responsible for administering areas of federal research compliance, including protection of human subjects in research, the use of animals in teaching and research, the use of biological agents, toxins and recombinant/synthetic DNA, management and reporting of research misconduct, and responsible conduct of research for the all campuses of UConn and UConn Health. In addition, the position will provide oversight of Environmental Health and Safety at UConn Health. The successful candidate for this position will be responsible for ensuring that the University conducts its research compliance programs to maintain accreditation by such organizations as AAALAC and AAHRPP and implement best practices. The Associate Vice President Research Compliance will maintain the research compliance program that facilitates research and ensures compliance with all federal, state and local rules and regulations by monitoring, developing, and implementing compliance related policies and procedures, conducting training programs for faculty, staff, researchers and administrators; and conducting regular monitoring and risk analyses. To ensure the success of the University’s research compliance program, the incumbent will oversee and navigate important and sensitive interactions with key stakeholders across campuses, including senior administrators, faculty, students and staff.
The successful candidate will bring to the University an exceptional background in research administration -- including broad and deep knowledge of compliance regulations, issues and strategies -- and have a track record of proven success implementing the components of a strong research compliance program. The successful candidate will have outstanding interpersonal skills, a collaborative style, and a reputation for successfully working with university leadership, faculty and departmental staff to implement new policies, procedures and programs.
- Formulate, implement, and maintain research compliance programs in accordance with international, federal, state and local rules and regulations and University policies. Ensure compliance and promote ethical conduct of research in the administration of the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC), Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC), Protection of Human Subjects Program (HSPP/IRB), Stem Cell compliance (SCRO), and research involving cannabis, hemp, and marijuana, and any other controlled substances. Oversee administration of the research compliance committees: IACUC, IBC, HSPP/IRB and SCRO. At UConn Health oversee environmental health and safety programs, policies, and regulatory compliance. At UConn Storrs, work with the Director of Environmental Health and Safety to ensure safety, training, and regulatory compliance regarding research conducted in laboratory and research settings. Serve as UConn Health and UConn’s Research Integrity Officer. In that role the Associate Vice President would interpret and enforce institutional, state and federal policies and procedures on Research Misconduct, staff all committees and review panels, oversee the conduct of investigations, and is responsible for all related reporting. Coordinate the administration and delivery of all “Responsible Conduct of Research” education to faculty, staff and students in compliance with federal regulations and University policies. Maintain data and report as requested to appropriate agencies. Coordinate and work closely with requisite units within the Office of Research as well as University offices to ensure appropriate policies, procedures, and oversight are in place to ensure regulatory compliance with research financial conflicts of interests, disclosures, and research security. Develop and implement compliance-related policies and processes; coordinate training programs for staff, researchers and administrators; and assure the conduct of regular compliance monitoring and risk analyses. Work with the Director of Research Compliance for Animal Research, the Director of Laboratory Animal Resources (UConn Health) and the Director of Animal Care (UConn) to maintain AAALAC accreditation. Work with the Director of the Human Subjects Protection Program (HSPP) to ensure that the coordination of the administrative aspects of the IRB support and complement the Research Compliance initiatives of University and maintain AAHRPP accreditation. Other duties and responsibilities will be assigned in consultation with the VP of Research. Work in collaboration with the Office of Audit, Compliance and Ethics (OACE) under specified Memorandum of Understanding which assures all areas of research compliance are communicated through the OACE, Executive Compliance Committee and the Joint Audit and Compliance Committee of the UConn Health Board of Directors and the University Board of Trustees. Work with the Office of Clinical and Translational Research (OCTR) to ensure that the coordination of the administrative aspects of the OCTR support and complement the Research Compliance initiatives of the Institution. This position will have oversight of the research compliance programs at UConn Health and UConn Storrs requiring ability to travel to and maintain a presence at both UConn Health and UConn Storrs as well as travel to UConn regional campuses when necessary.
- Demonstrated ability to work closely with the Center for Comparative Medicine, the Administrative Policy Committee, Environmental Health and Safety, Employee Health, Facilities, Research Administration and Finance, Sponsored Programs, Research Security as well as with researchers and staff, to ensure successful and compliant programs for biosafety, human, animal subjects research, and financial conflict of interest in research. Experienced developing guidelines and processes that provide consistency in the application of research monitoring policies. Experienced developing and delivering outreach programs on federal regulations and University policy for research compliance committees, faculty, researchers, staff and students.
- Advanced Degree with a minimum of 10 years of experience in roles of increasing leadership and responsibility working in a research environment in an Academic Medical Center and higher education or a related field. A thorough understanding of animal care and human subjects research compliance policies, biosafety issues, stem cell research and research financial conflict of interest. A thorough understanding of ethical research conduct principles and the administration of a research integrity program Detailed knowledge of applicable federal, state and local rules and regulations related to human subjects, biosafety, animal research, stem cell research and research financial conflict of interest Demonstrated leadership and understanding of research compliance. Knowledge of NIH's new Financial Conflict of Interest Rule. Experience and demonstrated ability to develop and implement policies and procedures. Experience managing staff. Excellent project management skills. Excellent organizational skills, including the ability to plan, schedule, and successfully carry out multiple projects at the same time. Superior critical thinking, writing, and editing abilities. Ability to innovate and problem solve. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with various constituencies including faculty, senior administrators, and members of several governing boards.
Salary Range: $230,000 to $260,000
Why UConn Health
UConn Health is a vibrant, integrated academic medical center that is entering an era of unprecedented growth in all three areas of its mission: academics, research, and clinical care. A commitment to human health and well-being has been of utmost importance to UConn Health since the founding of the University of Connecticut schools of Medicine and Dental Medicine in 1961. Based on a strong foundation of groundbreaking research, first-rate education, and quality clinical care, we have expanded our medical missions over the decades. In just over 50 years, UConn Health has evolved to encompass more research endeavors, to provide more ways to access our superior care, and to innovate both practical medicine and our methods of educating the practitioners of tomorrow.
UConn Health is an affirmative action employer, in addition to an EEO and M/F/V/PWD/PV employer.
All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics.
Workforce Members are required to have or obtain a COVID 19 vaccination as a term and condition of employment to work in a UConn Health facility, unless an exemption or deferral has been approved. All new Workforce Members shall be required to provide proof of their vaccine status prior to the start of their employment. All records of vaccinations and approved exemptions will be maintained by Employee Health Services.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert