Career Services and Co-Op Advisor - TORONTO
- Northeastern University
- Salary Not specified
- Posted Date
- Dec 27, 2022
- Position Type
- Administrative, Student Affairs, Career Services
- Employment Level
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Career Services and Co-Op Advisor - TORONTO
About the Opportunity
Under the direction of the Director of Cooperative Education and Employer Engagement in the College of Professional Studies (CPS) and the Director of Career Services at the Toronto Campus, the Career Services and Co-Op Advisor will create and implement career programming, networking opportunities, and co-op advising and administration for CPS learners, including work authorization paperwork, and collaboration with Employer Engagement and Career Design and the Office of Global Services. This individual is responsible for assisting students in securing appropriate cooperative education experiences across a variety of academic programs. This role will advise and coach students individually and in groups throughout the job search and application process, with a focus on topics related to career development and co-op employment search, including resume and cover letter development and review, interview techniques, and effective job search strategies.
The candidate must have the ability to communicate effectively with multiple audiences and maintain confidentiality around complex and sensitive issues for the purposes of compliance with applicable federal (Canada and US), provincial, and state laws, as well as Northeastern guidelines.
Student Services and Support:
- Establish, develop, nurture and maintain learner relationships that facilitate exceptional, best-fit experiential learning and authentic work opportunities in coop. Work with students to become truly career ready.
- Meet with learners in person and online to facilitate career development workshops, co-op engagements
- Identify opportunities and implement strategies to ensure annual growth and adoption of co-ops in CPS
- Ensure positive, collegial partnerships and working relationships with faculty to ensure successful student outcomes
- Develop, deliver, and support student orientations, services, and programs, employer/sponsor information sessions, and other tools and events to ensure students' alignment with and competitiveness for distinctive and relevant experiential learning opportunities.
- Support and promote opportunities to targeted student populations as needed.
Administration and Reporting:
- Create reports by semester/quarter with co-op information and statistics by program.
- Ensure accurate records are kept in terms of Canadian work authorization/compliance students and employer information.
- Develop and execute surveys that keep the pulse on both student and employer experiences.Track, manage, and facilitate student interactions with career development events and experiential programs using on-line database(s) to collect applications and organize learner's participation, engage existing employers, oversee participants, and strategically facilitate student experiences in the experiential programs in accordance with relevant policies. Help provide and interpret predictive analysis of student participation trends. Develop other student management/tracking/measuring resources as needed.
Preferred candidates for the Career Services and Co-Op Advisor position will have a Masters degree from an accredited University, with a track record of strong academic performance, three to five years of experience in an experiential education or advising setting, and experience working effectively with students. The ideal candidate will have worked in a student/career focused environment in Canada and have a professional background in the area of experiential education.
Preferred candidates will also be well-informed on industry trends relevant to CPS degree programs and able to conduct independent research in these areas. This individual will be a detail oriented multi-tasker who can lead projects and work collaboratively across University divisions. Effective communication skills and able to work well with students, staff, faculty, alumni, and external partners, will be considered a strong asset.
- Forward thinking and innovative, in alignment with Northeastern's 2025 strategic plan.
- Outgoing individual who can connect with students and help them become career ready, progress on their journey and ensure understanding of Canadian content.
- Passion for networking and making new connections.
Northeastern University is an equal opportunity employer, seeking to recruit and support a broadly diverse community of faculty and staff. Northeastern values and celebrates diversity in all its forms and strives to foster an inclusive culture built on respect that affirms inter-group relations and builds cohesion.
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
To learn more about Northeastern University's commitment and support of diversity and inclusion, please see www.northeastern.edu/diversity.
To apply, visit https://northeastern.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/careers/job/Toronto-ON-Canada/Career-Services-and-Co-Op-Advisor---TORONTO_R107950
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert